It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mysterious Numbers Stations

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:
Cug

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Just ran across something interesting, but of no real value.

At 2200 UTC, 15 MAR 06 on 5339 kHz there was a numbers station broadcast that actually contained a plain text message.

KPA G1O2O3D4N5I6G7H8T

remove the numbers in that message and you got "goodnight".

recording here.
www.swldxer.co.uk...

Like I said no real value, but someone is having a chuckle.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I would pick up these number stations on my 'walkie talkie' as a kid. I would stand outside and tune into anything that wasn't static. I would spend most of the time listening to truckies on their c.b radios. Some times I would pick up a lady's voice repeating numbers, like a recording. I had no idea what it was, so I just ignored it. It was like "1...3...6...4....8...3...2...end" repeated. She had an Australia accent (I live in Australia) and I could only pick the signal up sometimes. This was all about 15 years ago. Could there be government spies in Australia too?

I had more fun with 1 walkie talkie than 2 of them

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Wow, this is very interesting. I might have to go and have a look for a cheap SW radio reciever. I have to admit, this creeps me and intrigues me.

Sounds a lot like what the OSS and other WWII agencies did to send codes out to thier agents. I bet that is a good guess as to what it it, all we have to do now is to break the code
... and the get 'disappeared'

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
anybody know what frequencies I should use to try and pick these things up? Ive got a handheld scanner that picks up HAM frequencies. Can I pick these transmissions up?

Cug

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Does your scanner go below 50 MHz?

You can find them just about everywhere in the shortwave bands. but check out sites like www.spynumbers.com... They have lists where they have been found and what times.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The two biggest factors for those wanting to hear the various number stations are:

1 a SW receiver that has continuous coverage across the SW bands - most cheaper models have large gaps between the bands and that is where most number stations are located

2 a SW receiver that can pick up single sideband (SSB) transmissions. Not only can you listen to number stations but also many other strange broadcasts like morse code beacons

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toasty
I would pick up these number stations on my 'walkie talkie' as a kid. I would stand outside and tune into anything that wasn't static. I would spend most of the time listening to truckies on their c.b radios. Some times I would pick up a lady's voice repeating numbers, like a recording. I had no idea what it was, so I just ignored it. It was like "1...3...6...4....8...3...2...end" repeated. She had an Australia accent (I live in Australia) and I could only pick the signal up sometimes. This was all about 15 years ago. Could there be government spies in Australia too?

I had more fun with 1 walkie talkie than 2 of them

Sounds like the tv show Lost!

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
exactly - the writers of that show have said that they got the idea from the real number stations out there.

excecpt that on the show its the same sequence over and over again whereas the real stations are broadcasting coded messages that change every day - which in many ways is way cooler.

Just think what kind of top secret espionage could be going on...

"Honey dog had puppies Timmy got B in math pick up mik and smokes at store"

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
We'd hear the "numbers" stations when we'd get into the South China Sea, on into the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea and Persian Gulf. Always a female voice reading off 5 digit groups. It was reported as Israeli Illicit.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I have a transcript of the in-depth report on numbered stations that NPR broadcast several years ago and as soon as I find it I will post more information. I tried just now to locate it again on NPR.org but could not find it. To summarize what I remember:
- they had no explanation on what the hundreds of stations really are
- someone tracked one of them to a military base in Florida so some appear to be run by US govt
- some have transmitted the exact same code continuously for decades

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackbayou
I have a transcript of the in-depth report on numbered stations that NPR broadcast several years ago and as soon as I find it I will post more information.

Couldn't find transcripts, but could the report be one of these?

NPR - The Shortwave Numbers Mystery

NPR - Music by the Numbers Stations

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
it would have been the first one. the second one could be related but I am not familiar with it

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
You know, I completely forgot about hearing these stations until I stumbled upon this thread today. I'm 38 now, but when I was around 5yo, my father used to deliver single travel trailers (Aljo, Streamline, etc.) to dealers around the Western US. I remember going with him sometimes and I would be mesmorized/intrigued by finding these stations while playing with the "CB." Thanks for the trip down memory lane guys and I'll come back for updates.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Here's a link about the "numbers stations" that might be of interest to some.

www.simonmason.karoo.net...

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 06:38 AM
link   
If you dont have the equipment and want to listen via the comfort of your home computer try these links :

www.dxtuners.com...

www.chilton.com...

www.qsl.net...

As I have no experience or knowledge of this stuff, if anyone works out how to use the first link, I'd appreciate a step-by-step guide

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
interesting concept that these guys went forward with.

www.myspace.com...

starts off with the actual recordings and then leads into their song.
Im a fan

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Number stations .... a possible explination
I'd bet a good few quid that if you did direction finding on these broadcasts that they would lie in the flight paths of planes mainly due to maybe them being those automated height finding things for aircraft or something along those lines?

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
that's something completly new for me, thx for making this topic!!WOW

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Here's an interesting article...

Spectrographic analysis of the signals has revealed that modulated data bursts are sometimes contained within the transmissions, and sub-audible noises are a regular occurrence.

Dark Side of the Band

Well, I'm hooked... I'll be looking to buy a SW radio soon!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
This thread has been pretty long dead but I am hoping someone can answer me or I am just going to make a new thread about this.

Has anyone tried messing with the recordings and playing the numbers backwards at different speeds? I remember listening to a recorded Bill Clinton speech when played backwards you could clearly make out numbers being spoken. So, one could assume that if you play these numbers backwards at different speed you could get the real message.

IT WOULD BE SUPER COOL if someone new a website with the type of program that was free to download to do this since I don't have the program and I always wanted to hear if that Obama "Yes we can!" is actually saying "Thank the Devil!" or something like that.

Hope someone answers! Later.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join