It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Jet Blue Airbus Makes Emergency Landing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
A Jet Blue Airbus made an emergency landing in Los Angeles after its landing gear failed to retract fully. The landing went smoothly and no casualties or injuries have been reported.

The Tribune
LONG BEACH, Calif. - A Jet Blue airliner unsuccessfully attempted to make an emergency landing Wednesday after its front wheels were turned sideways and unable to retract into the plane after takeoff from a nearby airport.

The plane left Burbank Airport sometime after 3 p.m. for New York's JFK airport, according to Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Donn Walker.

Jet Blue flight 292 was circling the Long Beach Airport, about 30 miles south of Burbank, as airport officials tried to determine what the best solution was. Walker said the Airbus A320 was dumping fuel over the Pacific.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The aircraft is Flight 292 Burbank - New York JFK, an emergency landing was attempted at Burbank but was aborted due to the condition of the nose wheel.

The emergency landing took place at Los Angeles International Airport on Runway 25.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
MSNBC is reporting that it flew over the ocean and made a fuel dump before now attempting to land in Los Angeles.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Shep Smith just said on foxNews that Airbuses can't dump fuel.

o_O

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Uh oh conflicting news stories. Bad news for the people on the plane

[edit on 9/21/05 by cpr12r]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
oh my!!! I hope MSNBC is right and this plane isn't going to belly slide with a full tank. It would be expected that the tank is full since the plane was about to embark on a cross country trip.

I think they're waiting for emergency crews to get in place before landing.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I think it just did a fuel drop or something, there was something hanging from the bottom just now...

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

o_O

I highly doubt that.... not logical at all.

Shep Smith needs to shut up about things he knows nothing about.

But if it's true then I need to shut up about things I know nothing about

I hate flying. First time I flew I was on a plane to NY that had an aborted landing. I could see a big yellow line and the pavement not far under the wings.

I hope this pilot stays cool and remembers his training and we have another Toronto outcome.

[edit on 9/21/2005 by Gools]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Now MSNBC has some guy on saying that some of these planes can dump fuel and some can't.

arrival time in LAX 5:25pm.... maybe it can't dump fuel and is trying to burn it off??? but how much can they really burn off flying in circles???

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
CNN's coverage says:

CNN link

LONG BEACH, California (AP) -- A Jet Blue airliner was dumping fuel over the ocean Wednesday afternoon as officials tried to determine how to make an emergency landing with the plane's front wheels turned sideways and unable to retract.

The plane left Burbank Airport after 3 p.m. for New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, according to Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Donn Walker.

Jet Blue flight 292 was circling the Long Beach Airport, about 30 miles south of Burbank.

Walker said the Airbus A320 was dumping fuel over the Pacific.

[edit on 9-21-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
CNN reporting a former pilot that has flown the airbus 320 by the name of John Whiley is saying he had a similar condition some time back and expects this will make for a good story and excitement, but should turn out well in the end if the pilot lands with the gear extended. Touch down in 4 to 5 minutes is expected

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
It is being suggested that this story is being downplayed and only spoken about positively at this time, because passengers may have been able to view some of the live coverage of their ordeal.

Jet Blue planes all have personal satellite tvs. I hope they didn't and Jet Blue was able to turn off the service to them so they didn't see the coverage. We don't need any of the passengers panicking and making it more difficult for the crew.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

o_O

Shep Smith said that the Airbus had flown out over the ocean to dump fuel and has been circliing for some 2.5 hours. He also said that this is an often practiced procedure for airline pilots and that so far everything is going as it should.

The problem is that the landing gear is locked sideways which will make the landing kinda rough. Efforts are underway to find a suitable landing location. The last I heard that location was to be LAX.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Anyword if they are foaming the runway yet?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
so the wheels are turned 90 degrees. are they just going to break off, or will the catch and turn the front of the plane causing it to tumble over onto its side. i am sure at such speeds the forces put on the front landing gear will cause the wheels to just break away.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
MSNBC has changed the story yet again.. Saying AP mistakenly reported fuel dump and that this plane cannot dump fuel, it's just flying around to burn off the fuel.

140 passengers with 6 crew members per Jet Blue via MSNBC

[edit on 9-21-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Currently, Fox is reporting that the runway has not been foamed. The landing is supposed to happen at any time. Fire trucks are lining the runway. It is hoped that the landing gear will snap into place when it touches down, but that is not a given.

The belly of the Airbus is reinforced to withstand a belly landing. I wouldn't imagine that that is considered as a priority option.

Four fire trucks are in place and will chase the plane as it lands to be ready to foam the plane as soon as it stops. Drills are common for such contingencies, but one Airbus pilot speaking now says that he has never seen such a condition as this.

[edit on 2005/9/21 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23
so the wheels are turned 90 degrees. are they just going to break off, or will the catch and turn the front of the plane causing it to tumble over onto its side. i am sure at such speeds the forces put on the front landing gear will cause the wheels to just break away.

Speculation by some pilots say in similar conditions the wheel turned to the correct landing position once it hit the gournd. Lets hope this is what happens in this case

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
We had a C-135 years ago that took off with one wheel frozen at about 45 degrees. When they landed that one snapped off and went rolling down the runway.

They'll burn fuel off pretty quick with the wheels down, but with it turned at 90 degrees, once they clear the foam, the wheels are going to just snap that strut off, and the nose is gonna bury itself in the runway and it's going nose over tail down the runway.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

They'll burn fuel off pretty quick with the wheels down, but with it turned at 90 degrees, once they clear the foam, the wheels are going to just snap that strut off, and the nose is gonna bury itself in the runway and it's going nose over tail down the runway.

In this case that will not apply the runway has not been foamed

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
They don't foam the entire runway. They foam most of it but not the entire length.

75-100 firefighters are standing by the runway, and CNN is showing the plane flying around live.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join