It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

homosexuality in animals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I was confused at to which forum to post this in, because everything on here seems to deal with conspiracies, and this however is not one. If this is the wrong place, then a mod can move it. Is there anyone here knowlegeable on this subject matter? I want to know if homosexuality exists in animals. And if so, is it genetic or environmental? Are there other species in the animal kingdom that selectively choose its own gender as opposed to the opposite one?

Cite examples if you can as well.

thanks,

Scribe

[edit on 21-9-2005 by atlscribe]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Bonobo chimps are known to have homosexual sex.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
is this just specific to this species of chimp?

are other animals engaging in homosexual sex??

moreover, wouldn't they mate with females of their species if given the opportunity?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
There are about 450 species of animals that are known to have homosexual activities, including penguins and dolphins.
Many that study animal behaviour attribute this activity as a way to form alliances, establish superiority, reduce tensions.

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
okay...

but is homesexuality in animals comperable to that of humans? will things like our complex emotions, rationale and control over carnal urges differ us from animals, or can we still be looked at using the same parameters?

sorry, i had a debate over this today and would like some insight.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by atlscribe

sorry, i had a debate over this today and would like some insight.

What exactly is the debate?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
the debate was in two parts:

a. does homosexuality exist in animals?

b. if it does exist can it be used in justifying homosexuality in humans.

and then it spiralled off into arguments about if homosexuality is wrong or isn't it, and is i genetical or environmental/social...but disregard those

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by atlscribe
a. does homosexuality exist in animals?

If you mean 2 animals of the same gender having sex and/or forming couples, yes, it is actually not uncommon at all.

b. if it does exist can it be used in justifying homosexuality in humans.

I suppose it could be used to justify homosexuality in humans if one needed to justify it. I personally don't see the need to justify homosexuality. It just is.

Remember, lions sometimes eat their cubs and that wouldn't justify the same behavior in humans, now. would it?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Okay then,

Your part one will be yes, there is homosexuality in Animals. One only has to use google to find the many examples.

For the second part, homosexuals don't need justification in the animal kingdom. Anti-gay groups claim that gay-animals is nothing more than homosex-propaganda. With that being said you and your friend can debate this until you are both blue in the face. Neither one of you will make a change in position.

I would also like to add:

We do know that homosexuality is not genetic. There are identical twins out there where one twin is gay and the other is not.

Animal sexuality is just as diverse as human sexuality is. There are homosexual animals, there are animals that have sex for pleasure, there are animals that preform oral sex.

Really I don't think that the debate you are having with this person will end nicely

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Here's a good link atlscribe, that addresses all you questions. www.narth.com...

I believe it's generally accepted amongst scientists that there is no "gay gene". Being gay is not something that is passed down, for example like eye color.

But i've heard of many people who say that they knew they were gay their whole life which implies that some are indeed born that way. I don't know if anyone is sure why tho.

Here's a quote from the link i posted:

From the American Psychological Association
"[M]any scientists share the view that sexual orientation is shaped for most people at an early age through complex interactions of biological, psychological and social factors."[6]

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Rren]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rren
Here's a good link atlscribe, that addresses all you questions. www.narth.com...

I believe it's generally accepted amongst scientists that there is no "gay gene". Being gay is not something that is passed down, for example like eye color.

But i've heard of many people who say that they knew they were gay their whole life which implies that some are indeed born that way. I don't know if anyone is sure why tho.

Here's a quote from the link i posted:

From the American Psychological Association
"[M]any scientists share the view that sexual orientation is shaped for most people at an early age through complex interactions of biological, psychological and social factors."[6]

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Rren]

yeah, i visited that site prior to making this thread

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Here's a link that says homosexuality is genetic, seattletimes.nwsource.com...

top topics

join