It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Members; Hurricane Rita...Your Preparations

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I've noticed that we have a few members from Texas and I would like to keep track of all you during Rita. If you live anywhere in the current cone of error for Rita, please post here before and after the storm to let us know that you are safe.

Are your evacuating? boarding up? or doing nothing at all?

My thoughts and prayers will be with all of you but your actions will determine your situation.

Do not use this thread for Hurricane Rita developments and updates, this is strictly for knowing which of members we should be concerned about.
Post Hurricane Rita developments info here:
Hurricane Rita ( Bad News For Gulf )
Texas Reacts to Rita

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Here in Dallas, it's almost 300 miles to the coast. I don't think that anyone here is doing much in the way of hurricane preparation other than checking shelter capacity in case of more evacuees. I'm planning on turning my sprinklers off some this next week. I don't expect more than 40 mph winds here. You can get that on a clear day sometimes. I suppose the real threat would be tornadoes coming out of the storm. Again, here in Texas we don't mind them too much unless they are coming down the street.

I feel bad for all the people right on the water. Get out of there now!

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Well WW, I'm just north of Dallas, so I'm sure we will get some much,much needed rain, what concerns me are the unusually hot, humid conditions we are still having. Any cool air mass that touches this could give us some nasty, spring like weather here...tornadoes, hail, etc. This will probably be quite an event for the entire central Texas region!!

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I'm near Austin and we should see a bit of action. I'm expecting tropical storm force here, possibly Cat 1 depending on conditions. I will probably lose power b/c I am out in the country and we lose it at nearly every good thunderstorm. Heck, we lost it for a few minutes yesterday and it was sunny!

I'm reasonably stocked here. We always have batteries and flashlights handy b/c our electric is so hinky anyway. Better make sure I know where my can opener is though!

We hae a BIG outdoor music fest scheduled here this weekend. (Austin City Limits festival), so our hotel rooms are already booked. It hasn't been cancelled yet, but they are keeping an eye on things here.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The fear mongering is reaching a fever pitch here in H-town. It's already getting out of control. People need to calm themselves.

I, Dr. Love, will prove that one can survive a category 5 hurricane on nothing but cigarettes, a bottle of Jack, and my baby holding on tight.

See you on the flip side.

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Thanks for the thoughts and the prayers! Let's hope we don't use them up.

I, garyo1954, am headed back to Dallas after all the semi precious stuff is stuffed away. Since I live within three miles of the Gulf, I think that is a wise decision. I am taking the less travelled route this evening. Dr. Love is right things are tense here on the coast.

Bank lines are longer, some ATMs shut down, gas stations showing lines, and traffic extremely unusual going north into Houston. This morning there were more boats, motor homes, travel trailers, horse trailers, tractors, and fully loaded cars than I can remember. Even a few golf carts being towed to safety.

The tension scares me. One guy almost lost his boat on the highway when the trailer tilted up. Lucky he could move over to the side of the road to secure it properly. And I think Katrina had a damaging effect on the overall sense of security. I am not seeing mass hysteria, or panic, but more like people acting without thinking, rushing to remove themselves from harms way.

Still, not a pretty thought when you see four boats, three travel trailers, two jet skis, and a golf cart being towed to safety and every other person has a cell phone to their ear while mom and the kids are just trying to get out alive.

Talk to you guys from Dallas.

G

How people are responding is a social study in itself.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by garyo1954]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Im in sw Houston. We talked about evacuating if Rita goes cat 5 but the forecast says it will be a cat 4 when it hits land. We should feel it as a cat 3 where I live if thats the case.

The stores are nuts. A smile and a simple greeting go a long way to reassuring people. I also strike up conversation with people in lines and in the aisles. It helps.

There are no flashlights, D batteries, water, propane, masking/duct tape, ect.

The tape and lumber are not my department. Someone else is trying to buy that (without any luck). I have purchased over $200 worth of groceries (including water and non D batteries) and still, its not enough.

This could be a bad one. The rain we had from Allison will *not* repeat itself. Allison was trapped between to high pressures. Thats not happening in this case.

But the wind damage will make Alicia look like a cup cake. This is going to be bad.

As far as the flooding situation here, its a part of life in Houston. The water rises; then it falls. Im not terribly concerned about that.

But this will be bad. I'll keep you informed. This *will* be bad.

I have thought about hooking up my webcam and microphone and doing something hurricane related in a yahoo chat room. Anybody interested in that?

Most schools int he houston metro area will be closed after today. The mayor of Houston has also suggested that non-important business also shut down. That wont happen.

There is talk of allowing traffic in Galveston to head north in both the northbound and southbound lanes. And the highway tolls will be suspended tomorrow.

Will update as needed.

[edit on 9/21/2005 by Genfinity]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Gen that would be great!! Only if you all are safe! My gfriend is from Houston/Conroe..she's told me the stories!

Be Safe

[edit on 21-9-2005 by irishmen3g]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
All,

my webcam is on. Im in west/sw Houston and it is pointing to the east.

The picture is very grainy but its the best I can do.

To check it out, go into Yahoo Instant Message. Im in the current events room. The cam is on for all.

We are awaiting the arrival of the first FAR bands. Its only clouds but thats the beginning.

All,

I had to turn off the cam due to the number of chat spams I was getting and request for me to put the cam on me and get naked.......

I will turn it on from time to time as we get closer. If any of you can find a room not used that often, please let me know and I will set it up in there.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
They have a mandatory evacuation for Refugio, San Patricio and Aransas Counties. Nothing for Nueces, but I'm sure we are next. So I will be packing my runny cat and heading to my friends house in Slidell. Getting around Houston will be the worst part, but at least it's somewhere to stay.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well, I am in Dallas and other than thanking the heavens for the comming rains (man my water bill has been sky high due to the lack of rain). I am converting the garage into a new room to help with evacuees from katrina and will open the doors to others if there is a need.
One thing that is bothersome, my niece's wedding was scheduled for Saturday down in Galveston. She has had to reschedule it yet again due to weather boy is she ever pi@@'d

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I be in Odessa, which be in the Permian Basin.

I don't think hurricane will make it this far, but we would appreciate the rain.

However might not be so good for SE texas I r on otherside of the country I mean state.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I'm in Houston. None of the stores anywhere near my house have any drinking water in stock. I'm going to substitute beer and hope all goes well.

Zip

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Hurricane Rita is now a STRONG catagory 5 hurricane with sustained winds up to 165mph.

From catagory 2 to catagory 5, a hurricane is upgraded every 15mph. There is no such thing as a catagory 6 but in effect, an increase in 6mph would take it off the hurricane chart.

They say it will weaken before it hits and hit as a catagory 4. If it gains much more strength, it wont be able to weaken to a catagory 4.

If it hits Houston as a "weak" catagory 5, its going to look like the apocalypse here.

Stay tuned.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The contaminated waters of New Orleans are being drained into the Gulf of Mexico.

Hurricane Rita will be picking up that water and raining it down on Houston, the most polluted city in the nation. :w:

But its no big deal :shk: , so sshhh, nobody talk about it.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Houston is now under a hurricane watch.

Its all down hill from there. Our freeways look like something out of Hollywood.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Just heard on the news "The only thing in the way to slow this thing down is Texas"

Reports that stores in Austin are running out of water and batteries. Gonna sent hubby to the feed store to pick up some extras for the flashlights.

They are even cancelling some football games -- This is SERIOUS!!!

But hey, Austin music fest is still on!!

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
wow there are so many of you!!! sounds like you're all taking this seriously.. Good!

Zipdot, if you cant find bottled water, start filling up your own containers and freezing them. You can freeze ziplock bags filled with water too. This will help keep your freezer cold and you'll have potable water too.

all you turn your freezer to the highest settings and fill empty spaces with drinks and ice.... newspaper also works to keep the fridge at the coldest..and don't open unneccesarily.

don't forget to check out the Hurricane tip thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9-21-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Thanks for the tips. I am from FL and have been through my share of 1s 2s and 3s.

A shelter is opening in Austin. Dellco Center. There should be signs off of Hwy 183.

If you are coming toward Austin tune into 590 am (talk radio) or 90.5 fm (npr) for the best reports. Hotels are full SA to Austin.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Just got back from the grocery in Austin. It was a madhouse. Completely out of bottled water and D cells.

Around Austin, the local emergency management is recommending listening to 590 am for updates. Currently they are updating every half hour.

Not sure what else to tell folks, except stay safe!!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join