It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ThreadKillers Anonymous

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I'm tired, I noticed what that sounded like about 5 min after I posted it. Oh well.

Going to the movies soon anyway, to go see some pointless movie with violence and "scary" images. What's the world coming to? Scary is loud music, shaking cameras and random images with dripping blood. I liked my sanity before I had to deal with shaking cameras, thank you very much.

Back to the monkey (where'd I go before?) I'm not going to change it now.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I know there was a monkey around here somewhere
I think I saw him over by the donuts.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Greetings fellow killers...

I just want ya'll to know that I'm truly not so standoffish/reticent/nonparticipatory
BUT
I've been having devilish undervoltage-s

[edited to express the following frustration on 9/24/2005 by queenannie38]

arrrrrrgghhh

[edit on 9/24/2005 by queenannie38]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Greetings fellow TK'ers...

I just want to let ya'll know I'm not actually reticient or stand-offish...

I've had the devil of a time these last few days because I've got an undervoltage problem with my power supply and the resultant random (and yes, even cru-eel) sags cause instaneous shut-down, and then problems getting my computer back on again. Once I get logged on the net, I'm usually okay for a while. But you never know. I've had several post attempts in all places
and by the time I get back to where I was, I'm irrelevant.

I spent all last evening getting my shopping list ready so I can order a new motherboard and cpu and put this nightmare behind me. (yes I'm one of those who builds their own machines and calls Hewlett Packard demon spawn from hell)

I have much to say here that will likely remain relevant. I hope.

But right now it's time for din-din.

I'm famished.

I'll be back.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Down with dell! Down with Dell! Please order a better PSU next time... they should last at least 3 years....

Edit: What ARE you building?

[edit on 9/24/2005 by Kalapadea]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
That's why I'm President and Benevolent Dictator of the TKA. I'm a Natural Born ThreadKiller.

Pah..you just have the hots for Juliette Lewis.

She told me so.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Well, I didn’t actually buy this power supply—I haven’t ever purchased certain components, because I diagnose and fix other people’s computers (or build them new ones) and so most of what I’ve used has always been something acquired through a sort of barter payment—namely part of my payment on builds has sometimes been their old mobo. But I haven’t done that in a year or two—I used to geek all the time, but then other things developed (and I needed a break). I’ve bought drives before, and a modem, stuff like that, everything but the mobo, CPU, and PSU, I think. I’ve got a whole room full of rapidly aging dinosaur parts, too. I just can’t bear to toss them.
The one I’m using right now is an Intel810 Whitney, with a Celeron CPU—only 50o mhZ! And I’m a graphic artist and so I’m sorely lacking on the whole thing. I am an exceedingly rich person but I am by no means wealthy—and I do mean by no means—so I am long overdue on buying myself a brand-new mobo. The power sags are really a blessing—otherwise I might be saying I have an Intel810 Whitney, with a 500mhZ Celeron, still, 3 years from now! Those Whitneys are book pc’s, so they have their own special little 4plug PSU’s. As well as only one IDE and no pci slots (another drawback).
But I’m going to hold on to it for tweaking---they say they are really suited to Linux, and while I actually own RedHat 10 or something like that, I’ve never gotten around to installing and tinkering with it. But I wanna, for sure.

Anyway, I decided on an MSI 865G NEO2---they seem to be the most recommended in my price range at the present time. I’ll have to settle for another Celeron, but I can always upgrade to a P4 later on. At 2.4 ghZ I’m still improving my station in life immensely. They have everything on-board, of course, but there is a slot for optional AGP card—which of course will be my next purchase.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
So...does anyone notice anything different?

*bats eyelashes*

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Annie! Your thingy is different!!!!

Now for a serious bit:

I think we need to clarify, perhaps, one important factor.

For the most part, we are not intentionally killing threads; that is to say, we are not deliberately choosing a thread, typing something random and/or irrelevant, in order to be the last post and thus attain the highly coveted TK! stamp of approval. This is announced formally in case any Mods or other folk get the wrong idea and think we're deliberately posting nonsense.

We're not.

Thank you.

This publically-serviced* announcement brought to you by the increasingly pissy Tinkleflower, the number 6 and the letters F and Q.

(that last bit is aimed at my sodding landlord. But anyway)

* to differentiate from Nikelbee's wondrous public service announcements. Because mine are crap

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Yeah, you're right Miss Minister. We don't set out to kill them. We post honest replies based on what we believe and what we research based on the topic that we're posting to. That's part of the purpose of TKA. To figure out WHY we kill threads. I've started several threads that *I* thought were interesting, and that I thought other people would find interesting, but didn't get a single reply to them. I'd really like to figure out what I'm doing wrong, and I think that my fellow TKers may have some insight into this problem.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Good call, TK. I have been thinking about the very clear and present danger of representing ourselves in an injust light.

I personally don't think there is inherently or purposeful in the initiation of one's thread killing career--or rather, the coming to awareness of possessing that particular trait which is original to the age of internet. [or perhaps it was = to being a 'bore' at a cocktail party.
] JK

What I mean is, I didn't realize I was a 'thread killer' for quite some time. I actually have thought, in my musings, of the phrase 'thread killers anonymous'--not because I had any pre-TKA grand thoughts such as the ones which manifested into this delightful and much-needed club (for those of us afflicted, that is)--I just thought that if there were such a club, I'd have to for sure join. Imagine my reaction to seeing this thread posted on the 'new threads' page one fateful day!

I think, too, that the mods are quite a cut above your average mods, and for a forum this size, do seem to have quite the handle of understanding regarding the members. It is organized and overseen with what I feel to be very fair government. And so that means that if we're out of line, they'll not be fooled.

But I truly don't feel that we are.

I personally have received 5 instances of 'applause' from the staff and so far have not received any 'bad marks' of whatever sort there is to be had on this forum. I'm sure they know I'm not out to decrease anyone else's ATS forum experience, and if I kill a thread, maybe that just means 'it needed killin.'

I thought it was pretty cool to get 'applause' since it has always been in a thread that I started (except once) and about something I feel very strongly about and have (what I feel) a well-supported premise regarding. Actually, I don't usually start too many threads (just finish 'em baaah hahah ha) and so if I do, guaranteed it's likely something of a serious nature, in my line of thinking.

I'm curious--if anyone wants to tell, in the interest of perspective, mine and others'--about you guys getting 'applause'--I imagine you have, because I haven't really seen any examples of less-than-truly-classy-and-ethical postings from our members.

But seriously, folks--you get my drift....

Don't you?

[edit on 9/24/2005 by queenannie38]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I've received three instances of applause from the Mods, and one from another member who wished he could. One for the 757 into the Pentagon thread, one about a spyplane crash in the Middle East, and one interestingly enough for totally going off on someone for insulting me in a thread. I went off on a tear about not having respect and how it is ok for people to have different ideas or beliefs about things. All in all it was one of my better rants, and I'm rather proud of it. hehehe

I usually try to start threads about things that I at least have a modicum of knowledge about, so that I don't come across as a total idiot, but if I find something interesting that I would like to respond to I will spend at least a little while doing research about the topic before replying, again so that I don't come across as a total idiot. Admittedly I CAN be at times, but I don't want people to think that I always am.

As far as this thread, I had thought about it in the past as well, but really didn't think that it would go very far. I started this thread and club more as a joke, figuring that I'd get a few responses, make a few jokes and that would be it. I NEVER dreamed that it would take off the way it has, or that we would have so much interest in it.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Queen: Why are you buying intel? AMD sooo cheaper for mobo and proc. Although intel with hyperthreading may be better for graphics I suppose...

What's your Price range? I build about 4 computers a day have more parts lying around than I should, and I'm constantly browsing prices and sites. (Yea I get paid to spend money on computers for others)

About TRA, I had way too much fun making that post. Especially when Voidmaster started slamming it, when all I did was "Voice my opinion". Teehee, No hard feelings if he's reading this, I thought I made a good post, although kind of windy and weird. (Like Usual)

I'd like to join TKA to learn how to make better replies, and better starting posts, so far here at ATS, my only thread barely got any replies, and I figured people would be replying like crazy. Maybe if I make my words smaller, and act dumber, I'll get more responses. So I've been trying it out, and I just get people mad? So what do you want Voidmaster? You want me to admit that TKA does it on purpose? I just want to make good threads, and have good replies to already running threads.

If I can't learn from the best here, then hell, I'm gonna have fun posting randomly which seems to warrant more response! So really, no hard feelings, but I think I belong somewhere in this weird group.

Zaphod, does your fiancee have a computer? Get Skype!

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kalapadea
Queen: Why are you buying intel? AMD sooo cheaper for mobo and proc. Although intel with hyperthreading may be better for graphics I suppose...
Totally--especially since I might have two or more intense applications running at the same time. I also do web page stuff, and I draw vector mostly, so I get jammed up a lot.

Also, from my diagnostic experience, and repair, I think Intel is the most solid and definitely the most reliable chipset and processor over time. I just didn't find there to ever be problems from that source in any situation. And I've tended toward a socket 478 for whatever reason. (used to be socket 7)
My very first 'love' was a microstar mobo, too.

I still think about that board, sometimes. *sigh* I rebuilt it for a good friend, and when I would have to give it some kind of 'treatment', LOL, I swear it recognized me. At the risk of sounding like a freak, I sense some kind of 'personality' in these machines--each is unique, it seems, even if two are made exactly alike, they're not. Even my geeking borders on the netherworld of spirituality. (what can I say?
I am what I am)

What's your Price range? I build about 4 computers a day have more parts lying around than I should, and I'm constantly browsing prices and sites. (Yea I get paid to spend money on computers for others)

Well, right now I'm looking at around $90 for the mobo and $80 or so for the CPU...and I still need to find some memory--PC3200, at least two, eventually 4. I think I've got up to 4G potential. What do you recommend as far as memory?

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Corsair Value Select, lowest CAS latency, and cheapest RAM around, the problem now is the PC3200 is getting phased out by DDR2. The lowest DDR2 is now cheaper than the value stuff for DDR.

But if you're getting PC3200 get the "Value Select Dual Channel" Pack from corsair, like the 2 x 512MB, or the 2 x 1 GB. CAS is always 2.5

Expensive mobo....

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
As far as this thread, I had thought about it in the past as well, but really didn't think that it would go very far. I started this thread and club more as a joke, figuring that I'd get a few responses, make a few jokes and that would be it. I NEVER dreamed that it would take off the way it has, or that we would have so much interest in it.
I think it is more of a 'need' thing, LOL. Thread killing is kind of like being the Maytag Repairman.

Ironically enough, I would venture to say that this thread has probably the most potential for longevity on this forum

(yikes...did I say that out loud?)

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
But........

Justerini & Brooks stopped by tonight.
And I just can't.

I'll drink one for you. :w:

www.jbscotch.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Check this out--look for 'The Rant's post toward the bottom of the page.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Nice! Now THAT is a telling off. *rofl*

Oh, and for those members not following BTS, we almost had an Anti-TKA group try to take us on. But our Press Secretary, Vice President, and I took it on and put the smackdown on it.

www.belowtopsecret.com...'

[edit on 9/24/2005 by Zaphod58]

[edit on 9/24/2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I at least deserve a cookie. Name recognition not required, but cookies are a must.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join