It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you take?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
In the wake of Hurricane Katrina and with Rita making everyone tremble in their shoes, a simple question: You have been notified of a pending natural disaster (assuming you are lucky enough to get a warning) and you are ordered to get out within 24 hours. You are are only allowed to take what you can carry and there is a good chance your home will be destroyed. What would you take and why?

I don't have an answer to this for myself, that's why I'm asking you. I would probably die in the disaster, still standing there like an idiot trying to decide what to take. Americans are such materialistic pigs, aren't they!?!?!?:bnghd:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I'd take my damn computer. I never back stuff up and I have years and years of writing and music that I've composed on here and if it was lost, I'd be depressed for decades. I could carry the computer and another item at once, so I would (damn, tough one) take my favourite guitar out of my collection, though it's not especially expensive or anything, I'd take my 50th anniversary American Deluxe Fender Stratocaster v-neck. I'd also stuff my really old copy of Kalil Gibran's "A Tear and a Smile" down my pants (sentimental gift), and I'd grab my green card, wallet, a Zippo my ex-girlfriend gave me, my framed degree, checkbook, cowboy hat, .380 pistol, necklace my mom gave me, and ... I guess that's it. iPOD!

Damn, I better start backing stuff up. It'd probably be better to carry two guitars and a pocket full of data DVDs.

Zip

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Only what I can carry as in physically in my arms? Or that I can fit in my car?

I'll assume that its what I can fit in my car being that I have 24 hours to get out. The most important things aside from family and pets would be my photos as those can never be replaced. Next I would pack some necessities such as some food, water, and medicine/ first aide supplies. Next would come some changes of clothes, with an extra pair of shoes. Then I would go pulling out any important legal documents that I may need, such as birth certificate, social security card, etc. Then I would look around and see if there was anything else that would fit in my car that I still wanted to have.

I don't think that we are materialistic pigs, we have things and we like those things. If any person had possesions they liked they wouldn't want to leave them, it's as simple as that. That doesn't make you a materialistic pig. What would make you one is if you were willing to sacrifice something of greater import over said objects. Such as you took an extra hour to finish packing and stayed to the point of danger becuase you 'needed your stuff.' So now rescue workers have to come in and get you because you were to greedy to leave when you were supposed to.

I think as long as you have your priorities straight then you are fine. People and pets come first, then items that can not be replaced, followed by items that can be replaced but that will make being out of your home a little easier at first.

I may be a little weird; but I have always thought 'what would I grab if.....
I had 30 minutes to evacuate my house
I had a day to evacuate
I had 5 minutes to evacuate

Like in the instance of fire, you only have time to get yourself and family out. Sometimes you don't even have time to get family out depending on where they are and where the fire is in relation to you. It is always a good thing to plan ahead for emergencies. The more you think about something like this the more likely that you are to accomplish something when the time occurs.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Okay, if the cheater is taking his car, then I'm packing my truck up. Now I'm grabbing my entire guitar collection, all photographs and boxes of papers that I have, and all the stuff I listed above. I also have some old comics that I'd grab. CHEATER! Hell, I can even fit my Betta fish now! And maybe my grandma! (J/k, she lives in another country.)

Zip

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Hey I'm not cheating, just finding the best solution!

Besides I could probably fit all that I mentioned into a suitcase and cary that. A car would just be easier, what with taking my family and pets with me; but instead of photos I would just take the negatives they take up a lot less space.

Just thinking outside of the box is all....

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   
1. computer
2. briefcase (art supplies, camera, loose change, pictures, discs)
3. A couple of backpacks
4. in backpack two changes of clothes, personal hygiene items, matches
5. rifles and knives
6. in backpack flashlights
7. in backpack hand tools
8. trash can and trash bags with ice for drinks and snacks
9. take all the seats out of the van and get a few pillows and comforters or twin mattress
10. VISA or ATM card

[edit on 21-9-2005 by garyo1954]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I guess it would depend on the type of impending disaster. A flood might spare some of your photos and your guitar. On the other hand, a tornado or fire would probably destroy everything and give you much less notice than that. I would probably be glad to get out with my......and....what the?......Hey!......are you there?.........^^^#@(@**(!*(*#&#(*#*#&(*@#*##*$__%(*#$(......................................................."THIS IS A TEST OF THE EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM. THIS IS ONLY A TEST. heh.heh.heh."

new topics

top topics

join