It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 10 Commandments are not the ones you learned in Sunday school!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
While reading a book entitled "50 things you're not supposed to know", the very first thing I wasn't supposed to know was that everyone has been using the wrong ten commandments!! I, being an athiest myself, was a little skeptical, and got out my bible from 3rd grade to check the author's verse citations.

Getting out your King James version, turn to Exodus 20:2-17. You'll see the familiar list of rules about having no other gods, honoring your parents, not killing or coveting, and so on. At this point, though, Moses is just repeating to the people what God told him on Mount Si'nai. These are not written down in any form.

Later, Moses goes back to the Mount, where God gives him two "tables of stone" with rules written on them (Exodus 31:18). But when Moses comes down the mountain lugging his load, he sees the people worshipping a statue of a calf, causing him to throw a tantrum and smash the tablets on the ground (Exodus 32:19).

In neither of these cases does the bibles refer to "commandments." In the first instance, they are "words" which "God spake," while the tablets contain "testimony." It is only when Moses goes back for new tablets that we see the phrase "ten commandments" (Exodus 34:28). In an interesting turn of events, the commandments on these tablets are significantly different than the ten rules Moses recited for the people, meaning that either Moses' memory is faulty or God changed his mind.

Thus, without further ado, we present to you the real "Ten Commandments" as handed down by the LORD unto Moses (and plainly listed in Exodus 34:13-28). We eagarly await all the new Decalogues, which will undoubtly contain this correct version:

I. Thou shalt worship no other god.

II. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

III. The feast of unleavened bread thou shalt keep.

IV. Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest.

V. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the years end.

VI. Thrice in the year shall all your men children appear before the Lord God.

VII. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven.

VIII. Neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of passover be left unto the morning.

IX. The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God.

X. Thou shalt not seethe a kid [ie, a young goat] in his mother's milk.

Look it up for yourselves, I know I did. Now I'm just wondering how such a mix up could happen that would last this long. Or maybe Christains ignore it simply to keep their religion alive. I'm surprised no one else on this board has said anything, and if they have, I must've missed it.

Now let's hear some thoughts from my atheist friends and my Christian earthmates.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Check Deuteronomy chapter 5--the 10 commandments held as 'official' in our current times are re-issued once again, to the children of Israel as they prepare to enter the promised land, at long last, by Moses in his 'farewell' discourse to his charges of the previous 40 years.

It seems that the revision which resulted in the 10 commandments issued in Exodus chapter 34 were because of transgressions, namely that of the immediate violation of the first and second 'original' commandments by the action of the forging and adoration of the golden calf.

So the revision consisted mostly of the observances that were later proven to be the 'signs and seasons' which marked the work of salvation done by Messiah on the behalf of His people. They also seemed to be something intended as part of the testing which was what we know as the '40 years of wandering in the wilderness.'

You see, God knew what would happen--after all, we are a 'stiff-necked' people. There was never any possibility anyone would be able to follow that perfect set of 10 simple laws that encompass all that is right, true, and just in human self-government. The proof of that can be found in the second chapter of Genesis. We just aren't capable.

Good thing God knows all and provides abundantly far in advance of the need.

He gave us a peek at the law, but never really expected that we'd be able to do any good toward it---and the time between the first pentecost (at Sinai) and the second, fulfilled, pentecost (in the upper room) was for the purpose of our education--the law was not 'legally' given to us until after the point in time that God had fully provided us with the means to be able to not break it.

IOW, we only received the 10 commandments, officially and with expectations attached, 50 days after the time in which full atonement had already been made for the past and future sins of all the world, through the offering of Jesus as the passover victim on the cross.

[edit on 9/20/2005 by queenannie38]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
So would that make this one of those Biblical contradictions? Two seperate "official" sets of Ten Commandments?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Great book....have you read, "Everything you know is wrong" by the same author!? Good stuff! There are indeed different versions of the top 10 depending on the religion.....

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I don't know....I'm of the persuasion that if there is a contradiction--or at least what appears to be one--in the bible, it's more a case of incomplete understanding on my part.

I started out with a whole bunch, quite some time ago. But I understand more and there are far less conflicts. Kind of like, the older a person gets, the smarter their parents get. ha ha

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Earlier this month I also had discovered this and posted it. You can find my thread on it here. I also got a little explanation on it there.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TenaciousGuy
So would that make this one of those Biblical contradictions? Two seperate "official" sets of Ten Commandments?

There's a third set that Catholics use. I think it comes from Deuteronomy if I recall.

I really don't know why we should find it surprising that multiple versions of ancient myths would be recorded.

top topics

join