It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is stealth all that good?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This is an interesting link about stealth here...

I do have to disagree with the post above that says "no other aircraft does that," referring to the use of gloves and booties over boots while walking on the skin of the aircraft. They do that on F-15s and -16s as well. Typically called "Bunny Suits." Those are typically used for intake and exhaust entry though... But they are called for in the Tech Orders...

just my $0.02

[edit on 25-9-2005 by Shaker]

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
They are ONLY required for intake and exhaust inspection. No other aircraft requires gloves and booties simply for walking on the airplane itself. Big difference between diving down an intake or exhaust, and walking on the wing or fuselage. Every other plane can be simply walked on with boots or shoes. I've done it and seen it many times. Ok, the B-2 probably requires it too, but other than those two, it's not required simply for walking on the plane, like it is for the Stealth. You have to wear the suit for the intake/exhaust inpection because you have to make sure you don't leave FOD after the inspection that will damage the engine.

[edit on 9/25/2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
They are ONLY required for intake and exhaust inspection. No other aircraft requires gloves and booties simply for walking on the airplane itself. Big difference between diving down an intake or exhaust, and walking on the wing or fuselage. Every other plane can be simply walked on with boots or shoes. I've done it and seen it many times. Ok, the B-2 probably requires it too, but other than those two, it's not required simply for walking on the plane, like it is for the Stealth. You have to wear the suit for the intake/exhaust inpection because you have to make sure you don't leave FOD after the inspection that will damage the engine.

[edit on 9/25/2005 by Zaphod58]

Ah cool... that's cleared up now.

I just remember seeing people working on F-16s wearing those while walking all over the aircraft. they weren't anywhere near the intake and exhaust so I wasn't able to tell if they were Engine troops or not.... Oh well.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
It's easier to just leave it on once you get it on, if you have to do other inspections. I always felt bad for those guys. They were always the smallest ones, because it's easier for them to crawl around in there than it is for the taller guys. hehe

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Uh, considering that he walked up to us after talking to the rest of the guys that were around the airplane, and they went to work on it right after he walked away, and he was wearing the squadron hat, and had his name painted on the side of the canopy, I'd have to say that YES he really did work on the plane. Was there some part of the words CREW CHIEFS that wasn't clear?

Ok! I only asked because I have seen a guy once who claimed to be in the military anbd even had the dog tags, but it later turned out that he had baught the tags at a hobby shop.

Tim

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Here's a fine photo of the approximately "$1.157 billion (fiscal 98 constant dollars)" -- that's US $1,157,000,000.00 per aircraft -- B-2 Spirit as it flies over the Pacific Ocean.

Via linkfilter.net... (worth reading).

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeepSecrets
Here's a fine photo of the approximately "$1.157 billion (fiscal 98 constant dollars)" -- that's US $1,157,000,000.00 per aircraft -- B-2 Spirit as it flies over the Pacific Ocean.

Via linkfilter.net... (worth reading).

that is one sweet picture...

<< 1  2   >>

join