It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Rita pounding on the Florida Keys and Headed for Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I didn't see a way to post this as a Hurricane Rita thread anywhere else, so if I've posted this improperly can a mod move it where it should be? Thanks.

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Hurricane Rita strengthened to a Category 2 storm Tuesday as it pounded the Florida Keys with heavy rain and strong wind.

The National Hurricane Center predicted storm surges of 4 to 6 feet above normal tide levels and large and dangerous battering waves in the Florida Keys, as well as 6 to 8 inches of rain.

It said coastal storm surge flooding of 2 to 4 feet is also possible along the extreme southeastern Florida coast.

"The northern eye wall will push water and strong winds onto the Florida Keys for the next several hours," forecaster Richard Knabb said.

Mandatory evacuation orders were issued Monday for the Keys, but some residents insisted on staying.

"In the Keys, a lot of people are stubborn," said Craig Fugate, director of the Florida Division of Emergency Management.

CNN correspondent Dan Lothian reported from Key Largo that he saw some people still putting up boards on their windows as late as Tuesday morning.

Gov. Bush said more than 1,600 residents of Monroe County, which includes the Keys, were in shelters elsewhere in Florida. All three hospitals in the county were evacuated, as well as its nursing homes.

And Rita is headed for Texas:

Think Rita will be handled differently than Katrina?

[edit on 20-9-2005 by Mirlin11]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Hurricane Rita is being discussed here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not sure we need another thread at this point...

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Wasn't aware of that thread. If I had been, I would've posted this there.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Any mods who see this thread, delete it. As stated in my first post in this thread, I didn't see where else to post this, but someone showed me, so it's pointless to have this here in Katrina threads. I'll post about Rita in the Rita thread he directed me to.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Please refer to the threads, Hurricane Rita ( Bad News For Gulf ).

ATSNN News article, NEWS: Texas Reacts to Rita

Thanks

Thread locked.

top topics

join