It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pyramid FAQs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Collecting scholarly links on the Pyramids and sphynx.

No speculative, stuff, please. In 3 weeks I'll clean this topic up and we'll leave the "best of" as a list of resources for folks.

When posting a link, post a sentence or two on what it's about as well as giving us the link.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Abstract(or purchase full article)- A Geomorphological Study of the Giza Necropolis, with Implications for the Development of the Site Archaeometry, Volume 43, Number 1, January 2001, pp. 149-165(17) by: Colin D.Reader

Arguing that the Spinx pre-dates Kufu by 3-6 centuries, and was possibly a sacred site connected to an early solar cult. Mostly based on some archealogical finds and rock erosion on the Sphinx.

Redating the Sphinx: The Debate
Web page by various authors dealing with the debate over the age of the Sphinx.

Redating the Great Sphinx of Giza by Associate-Professor Robert Schoch (KMT 1992)

Quote from that page:

In presenting the hypothesis that initial carving of the Great Sphinx of Giza may predate its traditional attribution, it appears that I have stirred up much controversy within the Egyptological/archaeological community.[26] I have no desire to be the proponent of a controversial hypothesis; I am simply advocating a tentative assumption that, in my opinion, best fits the evidence. My purpose is not to be dogmatic-I do not claim to have the 'truth"-but simply to present a testable hypothesis relative to the age of the Sphinx.

Hope this is what your looking for Byrd(not sure if you'd consider these "scholary links") these three links are all related to the same topic, which is rather controvercial so i figured what better place than ATS.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

The Great Pyramid, Egypt from Sacred Sites
The Great Pyramid is the most substantial ancient structure in the world - and the most mysterious. According to prevailing archaeological theory - and there is absolutely no evidence to confirm this idea - the three pyramids on the Giza plateau are funerary structures of three kings of the fourth dynasty (2575 to 2465 BC). The Great Pyramid, attributed to Khufu (Cheops) is on the right of the photograph, the pyramid attributed to Khafra (Chephren) next to it, and that of Menkaura (Mycerinus) the smallest of the three. The Great Pyramid was originally 481 feet, five inches tall (146.7 meters) and measured 755 feet (230 meters) along its sides. Covering an area of 13 acres, or 53,000 square meters, it is large enough to contain the European cathedrals of Florence, Milan, St. Peters, Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's. Constructed from approximately 2.5 million limestone blocks weighing on average 2.6 tons each, its total mass is more than 6.3 million tons (representing more building material than is to be found in all the churches and cathedrals built in England since the time of Christ). The Great Pyramid was originally encased in highly polished, smooth white limestone and capped, according to legend, by a perfect pyramid of black stone, probably onyx. Covering an area of 22 acres the white limestone casing was removed by an Arab sultan in AD 1356 in order to build mosques and fortresses in nearby Cairo. Herodotus, the great Greek geographer, visited in the fifth century BC. Strabo, a Greco / Roman historian, came in the first century AD. Abdullah Al Mamun, son of the Caliph of Baghdad, forced the first historically recorded entrance in AD 820, and Napoleon was spellbound when he beheld the fantastic structure in 1798.

As far as I am concerned that's the best site for an alternative view on the pyramids and doesn't run off on a tangent.

I still think we need an Egyptian, Atlantis, etc sub-forum though. :|

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Virtual Pyramids: The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston’s Giza Archives Project

Peter Der Manuelian, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, USA

Abstract
A grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation is allowing the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, to digitize and integrate all its diverse media archives from forty years of excavations at the famous Pyramids of Giza, Egypt.

And here's a link to the Museum of Fine Arts' Giza Archives Project

This evolving resource will serve as a centralized online repository for all archaeological activity at the Giza Necropolis, beginning with the Harvard University - Boston Museum of Fine Arts excavations.

A good resource if you need to look up a specific artifact, tomb, monument etc.. An "eMuseum" is a pretty cool idea

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Duke Papyrus Archive

The Duke Papyrus Archive provides electronic access to texts about and images of nearly 1400 papyri from ancient Egypt. The target audience includes: papyrologists, ancient historians, archaeologists, biblical scholars, classicists, Coptologists, Egyptologists, students of literature and religion and all others interested in ancient Egypt.

Research Articles about How and Why the Great Pyramid was Built

The Pharaoh's Pump foundation is a nonprofit foundation dedicated in understanding how the Great Pyramid was built and why the Original Builders constructed this wonder of the world. Also we want to reverse engineer the ancient lost high technology relating to the Great Pyramid's construction and operation so that this ancient high technology can be used to help our modern yet troubled world.

The Upuaut Project

This web site contains a complete scientific report about the investigation of the so-called "air shafts"
inside the Great Pyramid of Cheops, and all related additional information.
It includes a set of 4 extremely detailed CAD drawings,
27 explanatory graphics and 61 original photos.

The Giza Plateau Mapping Project

The Giza Plateau Mapping Project, under the direction of Mark Lehner, Visiting Assistant Professor of Egyptian archaeology at the Oriental Institute, is dedicated to research on the geology and topography of the Giza plateau, the construction and function of the Sphinx, the Great Pyrimids, the associated tombs and temples, and the Old Kingdom town in the vicinity

The Ancient Egyptian Culture Exhibit

Organized by date and dynasty, this site provides brief descriptions of events and important people for each period. The Culture and Religion exhibits provide information on topics including medicine, calendars, and hieroglyphics. The Archaeology exhibit includes a history of Egyptology, archaeological sites, daily life in Ancient Egypt, and weird theories.

There's a ton of stuff out there, i did my best to filter through them and pick out the most usefull resources. Hope they're helpful.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
There is a Symbol in one of the pyramids called the flower of life
That was actually lasered into the wall, Its one of the greatest mysteries, There is also carvings of helicopters and submersibles on some of the walls

lineout.thestranger.com...

[edit on 26-3-2008 by 23Eulogy23]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23Eulogy23
There is a Symbol in one of the pyramids called the flower of life
That was actually lasered into the wall, Its one of the greatest mysteries, ....
[edit on 26-3-2008 by 23Eulogy23]

Where did you learn this, very interesting.

I wanna see, got a link?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

I don't have a link but I am watching a video right now made by Michael Tsarian... he mentions the Flower of Life being lasered into the walls of The Temple of Abydos.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I saw a video on YouTube by George Kavassilas who talks about the Pyramids. He mentions they were built 24,000 years ago, by changing the frequency of the rocks. They just "picked" them up and guided them into place. The main largest pyramid is connected into the center of the Earth's energy grid. It's a portal of sorts.

The Earth was in a completely different frequency range back then, and people were able to manipulate very heavy objects with their mind.

Hey, makes more sense than "slaves built it", because frequency manipulation would have been a helluva lot faster.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
A very scholarly sight is: www.glyphdoctors.com...

They offer online Egyptology courses. I believe they are the only college level online courses in Egyptology. They are taught by a bona fidei Egyptologist who has her PhD in Egyptology from the University of Chicago. They teach accepted theory and of specific interest: hieroglyphs. The courses are designed to study at your own pace. It is a 'for profit' site and in my opinion well worth the cost due to the level, subject and personal attention given each student.

The following is a quote from their 'About' page:

A childhood interest in Egyptian hieroglyphs led Glyphdoctors founder Nicole Hansen to obtain a BA in Egyptology at the University of California at Berkeley and an MA in the same field at the University of Chicago. She recently completed her doctorate from the latter institution, with a dissertation on childbirth-related concepts and practices in Egypt from ancient to modern times.

Nicole specializes in the study of connections between ancient and modern Egyptian culture. For her, Egypt is not simply a culture of the past, it is a living and vibrant one. Nicole has spent nearly seven years living in Egypt and she finds that her research often has close links with life there.

Nicole brings to Glyphdoctors a wide range of teaching experience at all levels, including at the University of Chicago and the American University in Cairo. She has taught classroom, correspondence and Internet courses on hieroglyphs and Egyptian culture. She also lectures and publishes articles for scholarly and popular audiences, and is preparing an unpublished manuscript by the late Omm Sety about ancient traditions in modern Egypt for publication.

Through Glyphdoctors, she combines her teaching experience with her interest in using the Internet to present Egyptology to diverse audiences. As a staff member of Kent Weeks' Theban Mapping Project, Nicole edited their highly acclaimed website on the Valley of the Kings. As field archive manager for Mark Lehner's Giza Plateau Mapping Project, she participated in the development of an online field database. She also worked on a project to digitize historically important Egyptology publications at the University of Chicago library, and taught an online course on Egyptian folklore for the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago.

Nicole is excited about the new opportunities that this Web site opens up to Egypt enthusiasts around the world, saying: "Most Egyptologists spend their time holed up in a tomb or in a dusty library with their noses stuck in books, ignoring that the public is fascinated by the work they are doing. Many other people dream of becoming Egyptologists, but very few have a chance to realize these dreams. I've been very fortunate to do so and I would like to provide everyone with the opportunity to follow their passion for ancient Egypt by launching Glyphdoctors."

Glyphdoctors was opened to the public in April 2005 with free discussion forums about ancient Egypt. An online course in hieroglyphs began in 2006, and several other Egyptology courses are offered on this Web site as well. In April 2007, Egyptologist Edmund Meltzer joined Glyphdoctors to teach an upcoming course in ancient Egyptian religion.

Nicole is also available as a lecturer for Egyptological societies and tours to Egypt, and as an Egyptological consultant. Her complete CV can be viewed here. You can contact her directly if you have any questions or comments.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Archeology.org has a write-up by Bob Brier on research done by a French team regarding the use of an internal ramp to construct the pyramids at Giza.

www.archaeology.org...

A microgravimetry survey of the Great Pyramid in the 1980s yielded the enigmatic image at right. Less dense areas (indicated in green) seem to correspond to an internal ramp proposed by Jean-Pierre Houdin (diagram).

[edit on 28-2-2009 by Blackmarketeer]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I'm guessing this is referring only to pyramids in Egypt?

Maybe mine is a dumb question, just wanted to be clear.

Oops, sorry, my bad. I rushed to ask without really reading (it's too late and I'm distracted).

[edit on 2/28/2009 by haika]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I am trying to ascertian some exact measurements but am having some difficulty. Every web site I visit had differing measurements for the Descending Passage. It is supposed to be about 4 feet high but I have a photo of Adan Rutherford standing almost upright - albeit standing in what appears to be a trench. So what are the exact measurements?
Also, I cannot find any measurements for the original entrance.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
THE ancients used the Great Pyramid of Giza.
THE ancients used the Great Pyramid of Giza. DELIVERED THROUGH THE PYRAMID CODEX IN NEARLY THE EXACT METHODOLOGY THEY USED IN KEYING THE EARTH'S EQUATORIAL CIRCUMFERENCE TO THE CUBE ROOT OF DOUBLE-PI when they built the Great Pyramid at Giza are the same ones preserved in eastern meteorology and western cylindrical computing; square roots and tangents - all keyed to the terrestrial speed of light.

[edit on 30/6/10 by mazeofSiriusC]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Very interesting series discussing alternative "functions" for the pyramids.

Pyramid Code

This video is very intriguing to me because it basically takes the pyramids subjects "known and accepted" information, ignores it and starts from scratch.

I think personally is a very good strategy because if the fundamental and basic "known and accepted" information regarding the pyramids are WRONG but are still used as the basis of all other theories then it is impossible to come about any other conclusion on what exactly the pyramids are for.

I think the current popular explanation for the pyramids is very weak and is not enough to justify the amount of effort put into constructing these huuuuge stone structures. A tomb is just NOT ENOUGH to create something so labor/energy/effort/time intensive. There is a REASON you naturally question them being solely a tomb....its silly.

Also here is another link:
Alternative Pyramid Construction

This is a very out of the box yet down to earth theory on the construction of the pyramids. Again you have to discard some of the "known and accepted" archeological information currently held to be true.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Sly1one]

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Sly1one]

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
hello..i take it you are the Ancient Egyptian expert.

hi im Aymen...any thing you need to know...just ask..

in return i hope you can answer my questions... thank you

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Nevermind

edit on 20-9-2010 by Lunica because: BOO!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lunica
Nevermind

edit on 20-9-2010 by Lunica because: BOO!

now i mind...you want to knw something...maybe i can help.

new topics

top topics

join