It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How and where a painful event becomes permanently etched in the brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I found this article very interesting. IMO, if you have an excellent support system in place, such events can be viewed more on an intellectual level than on an emotional level.

In other words, possessing excellent connections to family & friends provides the best support & recovery system in such instances.

In light of the recent events of Katrina & before that 9/11, this becomes a primary issue in certain peoples' lives for sure.

Zhuo says that fear memory does not occur immediately after a painful event; rather, it takes time for the memory to become part of our consciousness. The initial event activates NMDA receptors - molecules on cells that receive messages and then produce specific physiological effect in the cell - which are normally quiet but triggered when the brain receives a shock. Over time, the receptors leave their imprint on brain cells.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with the thread of yours and I will read the link you provided.

But one question , what is IMO ? Its a term like Lol ?

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It means "in my opinion".

Dictionary of netcronyms here

Back to the thread...

Will comment on it soon as I've digested the info

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I would like to see a study relating somatosense( various aspects of the sense of touch) to memory. Muscle Memory is a very important aspect of our overall consciousness....

Good find...

top topics

join