It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FB-23 concept confirmed

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
the f35 being canned in favor of the fb-23? that would be interesting

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
From what I have read the main reason for the YF-23 losing to the YF-22 was price, even though the yf-23 was closer to production than the yf-22

also on the point of stealth, it would seam that the yf-23/yb-23 would have an advantage against the fb-22 when it comes to its heat signature.

from a top view you can see that the engines exhaust is released before the rear of the craft, this would allow the heat to be spread by the air passing by the plane, and would help to keep the rear of the plane cooler than the rear of a fb-22. this would lower the possibility of it being shot down by heat tracking sams.

an earlier comment mentioned that the yf-23 lacked thrust vectoring, if you look at the image of a yf-23 from the top you can see it would be nearly impossible to include thrust vectoring in this design. and honestly I would rather have a lower chance of being tracked by a sam than having slightly better maneuverability.

[edit on 20-6-2007 by Live-Free]

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
sorry for resurrecting this thread. I followed an old link here and didn't think to check the last post date.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Yea um just to point out that the Su-47 is a multrole aircraft so Mother Russia does have us beat there in the Su-47 vs F-22 battle a long time ago, plus the Su-47's odd wing design gives it better turning then a F-22.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by COLDWING-1
Yea um just to point out that the Su-47 is a multrole aircraft so Mother Russia does have us beat there in the Su-47 vs F-22 battle a long time ago, plus the Su-47's odd wing design gives it better turning then a F-22.

I'm all for laughing at the F-22's guts, but the fact is that Su-47 is not intended to be produced at all. It was only casually offered to see if there were any buyers, no production plans were even made. The Su-47 vs. F-22 argument has taken place here many times. Verdict? Nobody really cares anymore. It's irrelevant.

If you really want to bring up something interesting, start looking at PAK-FA, which both the Mikoyan 1.44 and Su-47 were intended to test possible designs for.

Just out of curiosity, why the thread resurrection?

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by COLDWING-1

The Su-47 is a DEMONSTRATOR aircraft not a PRODUCTION aircraft. I could just as easily claim the F-22 can go Mach 7 just because the X-15 could and that Eskimos can fly because Santa could.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by COLDWING-1

I am debating weather this post is worth replying to. Ok fine, but just because I am bored.

You know zero facts about the SU-47.
You know Zero facts about the F-22. The
The 47 is not in production and likely never will be.
Dogfights happen at 400 knots. At that speed, both aircraft have the same turning rate due to Gs, and similar T/W ratios. Dogfighting is up to the pilot completely, I laugh at people who think that the SU series can pull off all of its flippety flippies at high speed without turning the pilot into a red pancake.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join