It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: New Orleans Suspends Reopening of City Because of TS Rita

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Responding to the threat of tropical storm Rita which is expected to be upgraded to a hurricane within hours, the mayor of New Orleans has now suspended reopening the city and is already planning evacuations to begin as early as Wednesday of this week. The National weather service is now predicting that Rita will reach at least a Category 3 before it hits any part of the mainland.

news.yah oo.com
Under pressure from President Bush and other top federal officials, the mayor suspended the reopening of large portions of the city Monday and instead ordered nearly everyone out because of the risk of a new round of flooding from a tropical storm on the way.

"If we are off, I'd rather err on the side of conservatism to make sure we have everyone out," Mayor Ray Nagin said.

The announcement came after repeated warnings from top federal officials — and the president himself — that New Orleans was not safe enough to reopen. Among other things, federal officials warned that Tropical Storm Rita could breach the city's temporarily patched-up levees and swamp the city all over again.

The mayor reversed course even as residents began trickling back to the first neighborhood opened as part of Nagin's plan, the lightly damaged Algiers section.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Our evening news just said the price of crude oil jumped $4.00 after this announcement was made. This does not sound good at all, however they are at least taking action before it is too late. Had he allowed people to return this could very well have turned into a huge disaster considering the levees were only rated for a category three and are already severely damaged.

I know this may sound crude, but since Mississippi and Alabama are already in disrepair perhaps it would be better if it tracked slightly farther east of New Orleans to minimize the repair costs to the taxpayers and hopefully limit damage to oil wells.

Heaven only knows we have plenty of time to get the people out of there unlike when Katrina was projected and no one listened.

[edit on 9/19/2005 by shots]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   
why does it always seem to be the tax payer who has to foot the bill. I am tired of footing the bill and paying the price for damages which I as a tax payer had nothing to do with.... stop making it my responsibility!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Our evening news just said the price of crude oil jumped $4.00 after this announcement was made. This does not sound good at all, however they are at least taking action before it is too late. Had he allowed people to return this could very well have turned into a huge disaster considering the levees were only rated for a category three and are already severely damaged.

once again citizens have to pay the price.... another band wagon jump in gas prices....go figure!!!!!

[edit on 20-9-2005 by starr]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This Nagin has to be one of the most inept public servants I have ever seen. He is pushing people back to a city with spotty potable water, little to no infrastructure, Food? Then when things go bad again, he will put forth an emotion outbusrt on TV and decry the 'Feds"

Why Why Why???

new topics

top topics

join