It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you want to be a Ghost Hunter.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I thought I would start a thread on tips and techniques on Ghost Hunting.

I know I am not the only one here doing this so others can feel free to jump in at any time.

OK

Anyone have any questions on how to Hunt Ghosts?

Anyone want to tell how they Hunt?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I will start this off.

People ask..."But Amuk, I don't know how to build proton packs or containment traps, and I cant find a used fire station as headquarters for my team"......

My answer is.......

You can start off real cheap, all you need is a recorder, a camera, and a camcorder is good start. We have caught more evidence on our tape recorder than anything else (EVP) A few files in your computer can keep most of your evidence and a quick glance at "Haunted America" will give you a list of targets in your area to start off with.

You can use the same equiptment to record events in your house.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Are there any obvious rookie mistakes that people should avoid when hunting ghosts? Things to avoid in filming, for example, or techniques for reducing the likelihood of contamination, either of a camera's lens or a tape recorder's audio.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Possible ghost picture!!

Ok before we get to the picture, I'll give you a little back ground. The picture was taken at an abandoned T.B. hospital. What happened is that we ran a story in the paper about Patti Starr doing aghost investigation in it.
Patti Star is the President and owner of Ghost Chasers International, Inc., which is based in Lexington, Kentucky. She leads an experienced, accomplished, group of investigators with a goal to prove that life goes on even after death.

After hearing that Patti's group got some good EVPs (Electronic Voice Phenomena). I asked and was granted permission from the city to go into the hospital as well.

We did get some recordings of children talking and playing, but the tape accidentally got erased.
The rest of the story is here.

Here is the picture

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Looks like a sink seen through the corner of a doorway to me.

Anyways... any advice on becoming a ghosthunter if you are very easily frightened. lol.

Where are some good places to start looking. I haven't heard of many haunted places around here. Just live in a small, relatively new community so I dunno where stuff like that would be going on around here. Also, what are the best ways to set stuff up. What kind of areas should you film (what parts of houses in particular), how long should you film each area.

What settings with digital cameras are best for capturing ghosts (shutter speed, aperature, all that fancy stuff)? My grandma lives near a cemetary. Do you think I would have much likelyhood of getting something on film during the day, or would it have to be at night? Cuz for one, I can't get there at night very easily. And for two, if I did, it is usually filled with drunks etc after 10 pm.

Obviously there is no ghost bait that you can buy... but is there anything in particular you have found that attracts them? Does asking them to show up in photos generally make it occur more? Same with asking stuff on EVPs, etc.

Also, have you ever had any bad experiences or heard of anybody getting followed home by ghosts or anything? In your opinion, could this activity be dangerous or detrimental to your health in any way (besides getting minorly scared).

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
im interested in becoming a ghost hunter.

im easily scared, but as long as i have said a protection prayer, i know that im being protected and that nothing bad can come to me or harm me.

the equipment i have/have access too includes

Cameras (i have a digital SLR, and can get access to other digital (Point and shoot) cameras as well as film slr's and film p&s camera's and i have access to three video cameras (two DV cams and one VHS-C camera) & tripods.

i have access to a couple of recording devices (one fullsize tape recorder, one mini-tape recorder)

we have torches etc, what else would i need.

all up there would probably be 3-4 of us working the equipment, two know the cameras very well, one is an audio engineer so could probably get access to better audio equipment.

i havent done it before but two of the other's have but without the recording equipment.

we are thinking about doing a guided tour of our haunted jail (Boggo road jail in Brisbane, australia for anyone interested) as a test run

and we can get access to other areas in south east qld.

are there any pointers as to how to get the right things on tape/film?
none of us are smokers if that helps in reguard to false ghosts being found.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I want to know what to use to filter my EVPs. I know that you can
filter them and select out white noise so that you get to the EVP
but I don't know what equipment to use.

Anyone know?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   
i ghost hunt a lot, also got some awsome pics..
here are 2 of the best...

this one ( i know its wierd) was taken at night up against a wall in grayfriers in edinburgh.,....dont ask me what the light is..i dont know

this one is WIERD..i have circled in red what we all see...
no fog, nobody smoking...

as usual, when GOOD pics are posted, they are shot streight down, i expect this to happen (did the last time on here)

discuss

[edit on 21/9/2005 by shauny]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Can interfering with ghosts, affect them in any way?

They must have purpose, so by ghost hunting our we detracting them from what they are doing?

Also, do you think you should have a medium or another form spirtualy aware person?
This way you could state your intentions to the ghosts/spirts staright from the off set.

CabalX

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by CabalX
They must have purpose, so by ghost hunting our we
detracting them from what they are doing?

If I were swimming in the ocean and got caught in a
fishing net, I would hope that someone else would
come along and help me out of that net. The very
few investigations that lead to ghosts being released
(Ed and Lorraine Warren come to mind), I'm sure the
ghost doesn't mind being helped to move along to
what comes next.

Ghost hunters look for scientific evidence (and spiritual
evidence) that help explain spooks, hauntings, etc.
Very few people have the knowledge and understanding
(and spiritual gifts) to be able to contact the spirit to
help move it along. For most people Ghost Hunting is
just a spectator sport and it helps us to understand
where we might be a few years from now.

Birds serve a purpose. So do frogs. So do people.
We do scientific 'investigations' on them. The balance
isn't interrupted. I doubt any balance that might be
there is interrupted by scientifically looking for proof
of existence and indications as to what (or who)
these things are.

If anything ... it will help us understand ourselves even
more and we will know where we are going after we
are done with what we know as life here.

fum

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I will start this off.

People ask..."But Amuk, I don't know how to build proton packs or containment traps, and I cant find a used fire station as headquarters for my team"......

My answer is.......

You can start off real cheap, all you need is a recorder, a camera, and a camcorder is good start. We have caught more evidence on our tape recorder than anything else (EVP) A few files in your computer can keep most of your evidence and a quick glance at "Haunted America" will give you a list of targets in your area to start off with.

You can use the same equiptment to record events in your house.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Any ways i would love to become a ghost hunter i got one tip ask people if they ever met a ghost that knows you or had a weird expirience and ask them if u can go to their house and use ur equiment to see if its haunted
fum, curb your enthusiam--mod edit of laughter

[edit on 27-9-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I know it's a long shot rebumping this thread, but I didn't want to unnecessarily create a thread which is similar.

My question is, does anyone either a) have some good websites where you can buy decent equipment, or b) does anyone have a budget price kit which does exactly what a £200 kit does, all for a fraction of the price?

Would there be pros and cons as to buying an expensive kit? Or the same for a home-made kit? (Blue Peter springs to mind..."And here's one I made earlier!"
haha!)

Thanks guys and girls, my interest in ghost hunting has resurfaced after watching a few of the Most Haunted Live epi's that I recorded from last week, lol! (Sad, I know, but I'd love to ghost hunt!)

top topics

join