It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Next or soon to come energy.Transportation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The next or soon to come energy source for transportation and possibly anything,I am guessing will have to do with magnetic power.

Today in science class we watched this video and in the video it was talking about old scientists and how they tried to find what we now call the atom. One mans experiment was shooting 2 cannon balls at eachother with positive(+) charges. The 2 cannon balls repelled eachother.

If we could make a car with a strong enough charge to equal the ground we could in theory float or hover.above the ground.

library.thinkquest.org...

It says there that the earth in a negative charge so if we could make a device with a strong enough negative charge we could hover over the ground. We would need somthing to push us of course but that wouldnt be to hard to figure out.

Anyone agree that this would work or any suggestions?

Im fairly new to the forum and I hope to hear back from someone.

[edit on 19-9-2005 by BirDMan_X]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Uhh, link? I find it hard to believe they a. did that succesfully and b. did that to find atoms. There was the Rutherford Gold Foil expriement, that was cool. The Alpha particles could be analogous to cannon balls, I suppose.

Magnetism is a good source, but It has problems. To name one, you need a lot of electricity to keep it running properly, and, in the end, just use electricity. You still have to go forward, which will need energy.

I vote hydrogen.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I think the next major fuel source will be hydrogen or biofuels, maybe some combination of them? Hybrids are getting better and catch on but I have read stuff about how they take more enery to build than they actually save. Things like the batteries used in them are very toxic to the environment how long will they last etc...

www.caranddriver.com...

Remember there is massive number of combustion engines in use today so switching to something radically different will take a long time. I believe hydrogen or bio fuels will be the next big thing because it would take minimal modifications to existing combustion engines and supporting infrastructure to make the change.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I doubt its possible to hover a vehicle over any old spot on the ground without expending energy to do so, or without having it be a blimp. Suspending something magnetically over the ground has always been done over a magnetic track. Individual molecules in the ground may have charges but they are all in random directions and cancel each other out.

Besides, it doesn't solve the problem that you still need to accelerate to get there then decelerate to stop. Most of the energy in getting a car from A to B is in the actual getting there, not in the friction with the ground. And, how would you stop? In a normal car, you waste the inertia of the car via the brakes. In a hybrid, you can use that inertia to recharge a battery. But in a hovercar, I think you'd have to expend more energy just to slow down (by having the propeller blow air the other way??) so it'd be even more inefficient than a car. Unless you on purposely stopped hovering so that you crash into the ground and slide along it. Ick.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
well im jst now thinking...would the megnetic force that is keeping you in the air..could that possibly make an electirc current that we could use to power the vehichle.

maby we would have to coat all the roads with a magnet with a positive or negative charge depending on which charge we use to build the car. and i still a havent thought about the control factor but it will come with more thinking.

possible walls too that had magnetic fields at certain distances so u would stay in a straight line..the cars would never collide because they would have the same charge.

ok i tried to find the cannon ball repelling...i was wrong, that was Newton's beliefe that it would work.but he never did try it.
(On page 4 is his theories.)
vesuvius.jsc.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Cannon balls repelling each other sounds pretty far fetched, but I suppose it's still possible with a big enough charge. I would just think that the kinetic forces acting on the cannon balls would be greater than a magnetic charge you could get them to hold assuming they were fired out of a cannon.

What I was thinking about is if they could build a a road or even a canopy or wire over it that consucted power for electric cars kind of like bumper cars, commuter trains, slot cars etc..

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I'm a bit confused here, do you mean using a strong electro-magnetic field, to float?
Because in that case it is possible, given you use a strong enough electro-magnet, in fact electro-magnetic propulsion, is what a MagLev uses.

Now if you mean, magnetic fields as a possible energy source, It might be possible, but I really don't know.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
regarding the cannon balls, if anyone could have made that work I'm sure Tesla could have. MagLev is obviously being done already with trains, and it is definately possible to implement this, to accomodate smaller vehicles, but the magnitude of this project would seem to be extremely cost prohibitave, and the only companies that probably have an endless source of funding to accomplish this would be the collective oil industry.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
To actually produce levitation uses a lot of energy......for about 20 seconds (or however long it takes to get it up in the air). This quote will explain it better than i can.

In theory, since energy = force x distance x time, and the change in distance is zero, no energy is required to maintain an object at a fixed height. However, since we're dealing with gravity, some amount of energy is needed to generate a force to cancel gravity (only to basically keep it running)

[edit on 27-9-2005 by Shadow88]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Not to mention, that to use this magnetic idea we would have to implement a whole new infrastructure. Can you image the awfull task of repaving the millions of miles of road in North America alone? Who would pay for that massive infrastructure overhaul?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
You're still thinking in terms of your science class. People really need to get past set facts, or rather put them aside for a moment and think,"yes i realise that X does Y to Z.....but what if i.....?"

There is no way, (NO WAY) we can possibly repave our streets with metal. The costs, manpower etc would be more than is expanded in 12 lifetimes (and thats probably way wayyy below the actual sum).

What we need is a way to levitate with some form of magnetics or something else, that levitates by itself, without the need for an undersheet of metal.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I firmly believe that such magnetic technology exists.
I saw a docu about Nikola Tesla on a streaming channel once (66.160.191.11:8000...;stream.nsv).
In it they displayed a video of how certain materials responded to that magnetic force, I can't explain exactly how it went, but it was as if gravity was canceled out. One of the objects that flew straight upwards was a bowling or cannonball.

In another docu (Nazi UFO's: how they fly) I heard an explanation of so called UFO's that were being researched by Germany, later on by the US that were using this same technique to propell the ship. This is 60 years ago! Imagine what is possible in such a timespan. It would also be a good explanations to alot of ufo sightings, no need to get aliens involved, just a government or two

I think there have been clean alternatives to fossil fuels for as long as we've been using them.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by Shroomery]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The government.....or at least A government has magnetic levitation technology. It has already been established that the government released the extraterrestrial story as a cover up (but thats another story all together). Every subsequent "UFO" sighting has been of terrestrial, military advanced (from what the general public know of) technology. Discounting forgeries of course.

A case in 19......80 sumthing i think. A scientist set up a magnetic detection station, highly sensitive, around an area of repeated un-disprovable sightings. Basically aaaaaages went by until a UFO flew over the station and what did it detect? Why a magnetic field that flew off the scale! (so far we have been unable to produce that strength magnetic field, except in partical accelerators and such). This almost proves that the ufo's were/are using magnetic levitation.

The FBI (now why would they be involved i ponder?) shut the station down, he was told never to do these experiments again, you know the whole shabbang.

My point is, UFO's are our technology, magnetic levitation is possible, and our government hides that from us for reasons of thereown (most likely that the economy of....well almost everything would crash the second free energy or costless power/transport/flight etc is introduced)

Weird......there is an odd, electromagnetic hum ouutside my window.....
cloaking too.....THE DAMN DIRTY ALIENS ARE INVISIBLE TOO!!!!

[edit on 1-10-2005 by Shadow88]

top topics

join