It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

possum pot pie anyone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I was just surfing some member websites at roddenberry.com when I ran across a recipe page I just had to share with all my friends here.

The first recipe was for green bean casserole teh second recipewas for: Possum pie www.webspawner.com...
Please check out the link. Is this for real? what does possum taste like?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I'm sure it's real, haven't you ever seen the Beverly Hillbillies, they're always talking about eating possum.

And, like almost everything else, it probably tastes like chicken

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Go to Southern Culture On The Skids' website..., and click on "Recipes".

I rest my case.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I'll eat possum pot pie anytime.....but , please, hold the possum.
hehehehe
Seriously, I'd eat a jar of Marmite before I'd eat possum......on second thought, I had better just settle for my first order.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
From my Grandmother......who swore a possum would never set foot in her kitchen......here are some tips for fixin' possum, if you ever have the misfortune to get that hungry!!

Catch a live possum......you must put it in a cage and feed it for a couple of weeks. This will allow it's system to clear out what ever god forsaken nasty mess it's already eaten. This will also improve the taste, and give it a chance to fatten up a bit....( if times are hard, possums can get skinny too.)

Possum should be baked whole (like a turkey), or boiled ( if it's an older, tough specimen). Taking off the head is optional.....but please remember to skin it first!! ( My uncle used to swear he was invited to eat with some people he had been plowing for......and they had boiled one, skin, hair and all!! Needless to say, depression era starvation not withstanding, he refused!!)

When baked, it can be served with gravy made from the pan drippings, also like a turkey. The meat is quite fatty and should not need basting. It was traditionally served with sweet potatoes and greens.

Bon appetit !!

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
As far as catching a possum goes, the best way is to corner one. They become very tame and docile when cornered. They will damn near jump in the pot on their own once cornered.

Peace

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Dr. Love knows what he's talkin about. But my favorite method of possum aquisition is to pick them up off the road [road kill] after a couple of days of being run over. The meat is so nice and tender, it just melts in your mouth.

My favorite method of preperation is to cut the meat into strips and dry it over a gasoline fire. Jerky ummmm perfect snack to be washed down with a nice merlot or port.

Possum, not just for breakfast anymore!!

[edit on 19-12-2005 by whaaa]

[edit on 19-12-2005 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
...But my favorite method of possum aquisition is to pick them up off the road [road kill] after a couple of days of being run over. The meat is so nice and tender, it just melts in your mouth.

Yes, other than those times when you chomp down on the occasional piece of tarmac and shatter your chicklets, I would agree with whaaaa.

Peace

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Never tried possum, but I did try to cook a raccoon once...Whew! What a greasy mess it was, chunked that rascal out for the hounds. Thank goodness that life and husband are history. You know the story ladies, they kill it and we cook it...

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Now I have never in my life heard of anyone eating a freakin' raccoon! That's definitely a first for me. To be honest it turned my stomach a little.

I had a raccoon go 'Cujo' on me at a local golf course and now I just steer clear of them altogether, much less ever want to consume one. All I can say is don't ever get between a mother raccoon and her baby with a sand wedge.:shk:

Oh the HORRAH!!!!!!!

Peace

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Doctor L, It's been my experience that for racoons, to get any distance at all, a 3 wood is minimum.

I concur that "coons" are mainly fare for the hounds. On the other hand if you are looking for a truly wonderful So. Texas dish, BBQed armadillo is perfect for the Christmas season. Being as how it's hard to tell the actual color of the meat; the wine choice is open to debate. Personally I like a nice cold "Lone Star" or "Pearl". The locals around San Benito claim it is an offence against God if you drink anything other than "Shiner Bock" with armadillo.

Granted armadillo is an acquired taste, but once you get past the smell of turpentine, ummmmmm

[edit on 20-12-2005 by whaaa]

top topics

join