It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EXCLUSIVE: Up in flames

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Mirror.co.uk

HUNDREDS of tons of British food aid shipped to America for starving Hurricane Katrina survivors is to be burned.

US red tape is stopping it from reaching hungry evacuees.

Instead tons of the badly needed Nato ration packs, the same as those eaten by British troops in Iraq, has been condemned as unfit for human consumption.

And unless the bureaucratic mess is cleared up soon it could be sent for incineration.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is truly sad. :shk:

WTF is wrong with the FDA. I can understand the packs containing meat should be kept back but there are veggie meals ready to roll and to be eaten by people who really need it.

Something is VERY, VERY wrong!

~Peace
~

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Why would anyone send food to the US?

I assure you, we do not lack food nor fresh water... we lack the ability to distribute it fast enough. Seriously, we are all fat.. i don't care what happened, send money, not food. We have too much.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Red tape and clueless management, isn't it a trademark of any government agency?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
If all the food that is to be burnt is of the same sort that the British Army has, then someone needs to get their brain cells working. All the ration packs are vacuum sealed. They last for years.

They include meat too. I have personally eaten a three year old ration pack of burgers and beans. It was excellent too. All this food is pre cooked, so it would only need warming up. You can even eat it cold without any ill effects.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I don't think any more MREs are even needed for Katrina victims, but it might be smart to keep them around for Rita, she looks like she could be just as bad.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Ok so the US don't want the ration packs, surely there is someone else somewhere, possibly starving, who'd be grateful to receive them.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Ok so the US don't want the ration packs, surely there is someone else somewhere, possibly starving, who'd be grateful to receive them.

And they should. Please stop sending food to the US. We have food, people are starving because we fail to get it to them. Its not a lack of resources, its a lack of infrastructure if you will.

Money *might help* but some sense is what we are really lacking in.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quest
Money *might help* but some sense is what we are really lacking in.

And would the money go direct to those that need it? I doubt it very much.
There would be red tape surrounding that too.

I have to admire your honesty too in the above quote
but i dont think that sense is exportable.

[edit on 19-9-2005 by Bikereddie]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Why not send it to all those poor people starving in Africa. The place they had the music-aide for. I'm sure they would deeply appreciate it.

It would be a sin if they burned perfectly good food.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy

I couldn't agree more. The British military rations should be sent to help feed a third world country. There are certainly quite a few that could desperately use these rations....even if they have been declared "unfit for human consumption".

As for the United States finding that the Brit rations are not fit for "American" consumption well I guess there must be a packet of Marmite in the rations. Marmite is not fit for consumption by ANYONE.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Hey, leave Marmite alone you uncultured Canuck

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
ok, whats marmite? Like that vegemite spread?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
As for the United States finding that the Brit rations are not fit for "American" consumption well I guess there must be a packet of Marmite in the rations. Marmite is not fit for consumption by ANYONE.

I wonder just who it was that declared the ration packs unfit for human consumption. Has this person got any training or knowledge about such things, or is it a politician who is afraid of looking stupid by accepting food from another nation?

As for there being a suspect packet of marmite among them, then those people are going to really miss a hell of a treat. Marmite is gorgeous. I was brought up on it

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MauiStacey
ok, whats marmite? Like that vegemite spread?

Marmite is a yeast extract that thousands upon thousands of British kids were brought up on. Its excellent, honest.

www.spurgeon.org...

[edit on 19-9-2005 by Bikereddie]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
"but some sense is what we are really lacking in. "

I think this sums it all up quite nicely......
another allie needlessly offended..see it they ever decide to help us out of a jam again. Really, British soldiers aren't gonna be running around Iraq hungry now, are they?

I'm with the others.....clueless....what's mermite???

ya, guys...send the money, lots of money, for some reason, I don't think many of the beneficiaries of most of it will have any need for food anyways, not after their nice steak dinner that they've eaten in that fine resturant. I mean.....money is much easier to be diverted away to other "important" areas....black ops or whatever, but for some reason, I doubt if all the money that was sent to asia for the tsusami was used to assist them, and I have my doubts as to this one. maybe I am just a pessimistic disenchanted person here, but well, anyone else wondering the same?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
MMMM, yummy, mad cow rations.

[humour]

When Europe starts importing U.S. beef treated with growth hormones, then we will allow the import of their BSE tainted beef.

[/humour]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I don't understand why we won't send the rations back if we aren't going to use them. It is very understandable that the citizens of the UK are upset at the waste of millions of tax dollars and they should be.

This is truly sad and such a waste

new topics

top topics

join