It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Loses a Jet to NATO

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Surrrrrre, you can have it back!

Only after we recover the wreck, strip it to the bones and look for any new secret tech-no stuff in this bird, and then you can have it back.

Like Russia would not do the same if a NATO plane crashed in her airspace.

A scandal broke out yesterday when a Russian Su-27 fighter jet crashed in Lithuania on its way from Leningrad Region to Kaliningrad Region. The Lithuanian Foreign Ministry has presented Russian diplomats a note of protest about the violation of Lithuanian airspace. The fighter pilot, who bailed out of the plane, has been taken into custody and is the object of investigation. The Russian Defense Ministry claims that the pilot crossed the border because of a malfunction in his navigation equipment, which was also the cause of the crash.

www.kommersant.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
If he's gonna fly over the border into another country, even if it is with a "navigation system malfunction" *cough*BS*cough* then the country he flies into has every right and SHOULD keep the wreckage. Especially if they can use it to prove his "malfunction" was an excuse.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Why bother going through all this diplomatic bruhaha when anybody with hard currency can just buy themselves a new Su-27 or one of its variants???

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
In a related topic, the Russians are simply getting the political doublespeak that they have so given, as to why the aircraft was in Lithuanian airspace anyhow.

The Russians will get their aircraft back, and pilot, after an proper investigation is done.
Also, SIRR1:

Only after we recover the wreck, strip it to the bones and look for any new secret tech-no stuff in this bird, and then you can have it back.

A little research on your part would have yielded the slight factoid that the Lithuanian has no desire or need for Russian Su-27s, neither does the West. The Su-27 is an already "known and discovered" aircraft.

seekerof

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Play nice, Seeker.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Shouldn't this be under "Aircraft Projects" ?
Oh well....

Rumor has it that there are 2 Su-27's at Nellis. This has supposedly been substantiated by sightings.

This also goes along with the rumors of 2 Su-27's that were sold to a private individual and those aircraft wound up in the US.

Interesting Patch...

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
Shouldn't this be under "Aircraft Projects" ?
Oh well....

Rumor has it that there are 2 Su-27's at Nellis. This has supposedly been substantiated by sightings.

This also goes along with the rumors of 2 Su-27's that were sold to a private individual and those aircraft wound up in the US.

Interesting Patch...

I this is more than rumors. The US has numerous (if not all) russian fighter planes, mainly aquired from former soviet republics. Known cases include a Mig25 when a russian pilot deserted to japan. Mig-29 from the former easr germany and so on.

It is said that some of them fly from area 51...

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by carcharodon

Isnt that the infamous "Red Hat squadron" or was it the "Red Eagles"?

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 03:48 AM
link   
it was just a guestion of time when they drop the jet in to some country. the russians have been flyin in finlands and estonias air area about ten times during this year. It even became a little politic scandale here. Russians have been doing this were long time, but this year it become to publicity because violations became so numerous and press got a sniff about it. After that goverment has informed every violation.

about the navigation malfunction, that plane should have been flying over the balticsea in international air area. Somehow it just happened to drop couple hundrets kilometres from the coast line, in the middle of lithuania. i dont know if lithuanians tried to shoot it or was the pilot trying to fly under radar, but he screwed very baddly. Russians have every time used navigation error or navigation system malfunction as an excouse.

idont know if russian are trying to spy or something, but they arent doing it very well.

sorry about my bad english

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I posted some stuff in this thread.
Picture of the pilot and some news quotes.

Russian Fighter Crashes in Lithuania (moved from ATSNN)

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
looks liek they are testing defenses

I get a weird feeling that Putin wants his lost flock back under moscovite rule I guess we will see what this comes to!

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   

I this is more than rumors. The US has numerous (if not all) russian fighter planes, mainly aquired from former soviet republics. Known cases include a Mig25 when a russian pilot deserted to japan. Mig-29 from the former easr germany and so on.

I said "rumors" since I can offer no proof.
ShadowXIXis correct about the Red Hat Squadron, although they will tell you that they fly F-16's to simulate Su-27's.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Don't know. I definately think something is up.

It could be possible that the aircraft had some new navigational/radar equipment, and was the reason for the crash.

But then again, why would they be testing such things ANYWHERE NEAR Lithuania, or any of their borders infact?

It could be that they were spying, but then again, can a Su-27 really be equipped with spying equipment?

Overall I have no clue what the hell could have happened, maybe Russian AF pilot just dared another one to fly over to Lithuania, and see if you can be undetected. Who knows? Maybe they were THAT bored lol.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
It would be incredibly simple to slap a recce pod on an SU-27. The USAF does it all the time. It's just a camera and other sensors mounted in a pod that hands off a pylon. That would make sense if he was doing a recce run. The last thing they would want to admit was that they were spying, and the plane crashed during the mission.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
It would be incredibly simple to slap a recce pod on an SU-27. The USAF does it all the time. It's just a camera and other sensors mounted in a pod that hands off a pylon. That would make sense if he was doing a recce run. The last thing they would want to admit was that they were spying, and the plane crashed during the mission.

Really? I see.

So this equipment takes up relatively little space, and is easy to mount onto a plane?

Well then, that's what they were probably doing

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
It mounts just like an external fuel tank.

Here's one for an F-16.
www.aiaa.org...

This one was from 1964, so you can imagine how much smaller and lighter they are now.
www.spyflight.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I see.

Would you say it's probably, that they could conclude from the aircraft wreckage if the su-27 fighter had some kind of spying equipment on it?

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I doubt that the pod would be intact, but they might be able to identify it if they find it. It would depend on a lot of the conditions of the crash, and the location of the pod. But it is definately possible that they would be able to if it had a pod.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Known cases include a Mig25 when a russian pilot deserted to japan.

- Really? You sure about that?

Cos I remember that incident and the last I heard was the plane was returned to them in packing crates.

On 6 September 1976, a Soviet pilot, Lieutenant Viktor Belenko, decided to defect to the West. He flew his aircraft, a Mikoyan "MiG-25" interceptor, from Siberia to Japan.

Unless more than one Mig 25 & pilot defected to Japan and we never heard of the 2nd one?

Anyhoo Mig 29's are easy go ask the Germans, they had loads.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Radioactive material found at crash site of Russian fighter

VILNIUS (AFP) Sep 20, 2005

Radioactive material has been found at the site in Lithuania where a Russian fighter jet crashed last week, the defence ministry said Tuesday, as the authorities in Vilnius refused to cave in to pressure to return the wrecked plane to Moscow.

"Two kilogrammes of metal with radioactive material in it" were found in the field where the Russian Su-27 crashed, near the town of Jurbarjas, some 55 kilometres (33 miles) from Lithuania's second largest city, Kaunas, the defence ministry said in a statement.

The wreckage of the plane was emitting radiation above normal levels, but it did not pose a direct threat to people in Jurbarjas, the statement said.

www.spacewar.com...

Why would this plane have radioactive material in or on it. I think the Russians have some explaining to do.

[edit on 20-9-2005 by NWguy83]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join