It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA Database for all UK citizens in the works�

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 02:41 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Every single person in the UK should be compelled to have their DNA on the national database in an effort to prevent crime, a senior police officer has argued.

But Mr Morris told the newspaper: "If we have a compulsory database to which every citizen is expected to donate their DNA as a responsibility within our society, I fervently believe we will not only detect crimes quicker but we will help prevent them in the first place.

While you�re at, please take a detailed photo, implant the latest in RFID technology and a small pox inoculation to boot.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Go figure.

The UIs army collects all personal data on us, they have our DNA, fingerprints, photos, and the like already on a database.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 01:49 PM
link   
My DNA is on file, i was arrested for weed last year. You have no choice but to hand over your DNA, even if you are not charged!

They have been talking about these ID cards for a while now, they even mentioned iris identification.

Not good at all.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Just ran across these:
"Children to be given ID numbers" (England/UK)
Link: icteesside.icnetwork.co.uk...=13385451_method=full_siteid=50081_headline=-Children-to-be-given-ID-numb ers-name_page.html

Exerpt:
"Every child in England is to be given a credit card-style ID number in reforms aimed at preventing a repeat of the horrific death of Victoria Climbie, the Government has announced.

The long-awaited Green Paper on children's services also included a proposal to create a Children's Commissioner for England, whose job it will be to speak up for under-18s and ensure their views are "fed into" Government policy.

It set out a large number of changes to the structure of children's services, which will see education, health and social care combined and dispensed from neighbourhood schools."

"Blair: all children should have the chance of a proper start in life"
Link: politics.guardian.co.uk...

Excerpt:
"The prime minister, Tony Blair, today hailed the government's proposals on childcare as "the most far-reaching reform of children's services for 30 years".

He said the children's green paper published today aimed to offer "security, opportunity, responsibility" to every child, especially those in care or at risk."

I thought that the above articles would be related to this Kukla.

Excerpt from your article:
"to have their DNA on the national database in an effort to prevent crime"

What an asinine statement.
DNA is good for determining "whodunnit."
So are fingerprints.
Does having fingerprints on file PREVENT any crime?
I think they are aiming this at babies right after birth, no DNA--no birth certificate---no state assistance.
Their biggest problem seems to stem from the lack of a written constitution or bill of rights. Everything stems from "common law" and can be adjusted at the whim of the, ahem, "leader"ship.
What I find truly scary is that this is being proposed not in a communist country such as China or the DPRK, but in a supposedly enlightened, free country such as the UK.
Perhaps someone should point out to the good Inspector that the criminals will not be so forthcoming in providing DNA samples...just like they didn't rush to turn in their guns when they were outlawed.

Personally....Everyone viewing this thread needs to see the movie "Gattica". It will scare you in that it may be science fact in the not-too-distant future.....

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 02:04 PM
link   
that's fishy as hell. there's no reason for the government to have the genetics of every citizen on file. crime detection? give me a break. good detective skills and forensic investigation can already do that.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Just thought of this....
I wouldn't be surprised to see this in Ashcroft's next version or edition of the Patriot Act.

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Seekerof:

I do see the possibility of Aschcroft trying to pull a Gattaca over us. I'm suprised the Brits are beating him to it.

"prevent crime"..straight out of Minority Report.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I don't like the DNA database idea, but it does have it's benefits, these shouldn't be ignored. It is not going to prevent crimes, but help to solve more rape cases, the fact that it will solve more rape cases may put rapists off raping. Which is good.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Yeh i dont know what your complainging about i dont see a problem atall

new topics

top topics

join