It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schwarzenegger signs ban on sodas in high schools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
The Governator has banned carbonated soda's from public high scholls in a bill he has just signed. While I applaud the efforts to try to cut teen obesity, simply banning an item will not help teens make good choices and education efforts should be coupled with this. It also will not work on campuses that are open. Good start though

SACRAMENTO, California (Reuters) - California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed legislation on Thursday to ban carbonated soda in state high schools as part of an effort to stem teen obesity.

"California is facing an obesity epidemic," said Schwarzenegger, a former Mr. Olympia and longtime health advocate. "Today we are taking some first steps in creating a healthy future for California."

He signed the legislation at the start of a daylong summit on health and obesity in the California capital Sacramento. He said that one out of three children in California, the nation's most populous state, is obese.
Get out and exersize more

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
outrageous...

instead of banning or prohibiting carbonated, high fructose beverages...
the product should be as available as other mildly poisionous consumables such as coffee or milk at schools
btw? is this cola ban just in the student areas or does this apply to the teachers & employees lunch rooms too?.......... do i smell discrimination??

??why not scales, or other BodyMassIndex (BMI) sensors connected to a data-base which would allow or deny someones' debit card to purchase
these colas.....anybody who was not 'optimal' as the Governator defines it, would not get the un-fit product!

sheeze, i kinda thought he was a tinge of Libertarian,
but this is gestapo/big brother/central committee type of stuff

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Does anyone other then me see a lawsuit/lawsuits on the way from the Soda and beverage industry?

I can understand the motives, but see some flaws and things to come.

1. You will now see a rise of children carrying coolers with soda in them (at a much cheaper price I might add).

2. there is nothing wrong with selling carbonated drinks that only have 1 calorie, yet they will allow them to sell other drinks with perhaps 50, 90 or more calories. This just does not make any sense.

[edit on 9/19/2005 by shots]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Actually it will not be a law suit, why?

Because it happen here in GA the high school in the county banned them also.

See is a franchise, you buy some soda machine and you ask permission from businesses to put them in their stores for a fee.

The schools do it to get money for school things.

So is not like a contract, what we found out is that one of the people in the school board was the owner of some of them, that is why he got away with putting them in the schools.

So they were taken out and now only fruit or water bottler are sold.

I agree that sodas should stay away from school grounds taking in consideration that most of our children in the nation are overweight having sugar carbonated water is not helping.

Every time I see a mother giving a bottle of soda to their babies I just want to scream, I think that is child abuse to get your children hook on that junk.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Actually it will not be a law suit, why?

Because it happen here in GA the high school in the county banned them also.

See is a franchise, you buy some soda machine and you ask permission from businesses to put them in their stores for a fee.

I agree that sodas should stay away from school grounds taking in consideration that most of our children in the nation are overweight having sugar carbonated water is not helping.

Every time I see a mother giving a bottle of soda to their babies I just want to scream, I think that is child abuse to get your children hook on that junk.

So they what you are saying it is OK to have machines that sell milk, health drinks that have much higher calories, but not low cal soda? Keep in mind they could simply limit the type of soda allowed by limiting it to low cal alone. And just what is wrong with carbonated water? Ever hear of Seltzer? Just water only with bubbles is all it is; nothing at all unhealthy about it in that form or even in low cal form.

I see this as a form of discrimination no ifs ands or buts about it.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Does anyone other then me see a lawsuit/lawsuits on the way from the Soda and beverage industry?

I don't think so and here is why:

Bad PR suing a school to put you junk food in.

As marg pointed out, you have a contract and you just phase it out. Even with the new law, its going to be phased in. As the contracts expires, others will be added.

Most Soda comapnies sell water and fruit drinks that will meet the specifications so they will just have a shipt in their product lines.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Most Soda companies sell water and fruit drinks that will meet the specifications so they will just have a shipt in their product lines.

Exactly, here in the county we now have more health friendly options for the children in school and they have to be approved.

No shots milk is not sold in machines at least here where I am at.

[edit on 19-9-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I don't think so and here is why:

Bad PR suing a school to put you junk food in.

As marg pointed out, you have a contract and you just phase it out. Even with the new law, its going to be phased in. As the contracts expires, others will be added.

Most Soda comapnies sell water and fruit drinks that will meet the specifications so they will just have a shipt in their product lines.

I am sure their current machines could also handle most of the new products so why make them take them out to begin with? A can is a can, you can have one machine with tons of flavors and low cal too boot.

This whole thing wreaks of big brother and can be circumvented very easily by bringing soda from home.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I can see it now,

"Schwarzenegger signs ban on sodas in high schools, Replaces sodas with steroids."

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
This whole thing wreaks of big brother and can be circumvented very easily by bringing soda from home.

As I said in my opening post, schools that have an open campus will not really be able to stop teens from venturing off to get whatever they want.

Looking out for public health concerns is not a big brother issue IMHO. From immunizations, to no indoor smoking, or weapons bans at schools etc, its for the benifit of the public good.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Looking out for public health concerns is not a big brother issue IMHO. From immunizations, to no indoor smoking, or weapons bans at schools etc, its for the benifit of the public good.

I agree but only to a point. Fine if they want to get rid of the Junk food i.e. Twinkies, Frito's etc, but soda or pop as it is called in some areas is going way too far in effect what they are doing is telling what they can and cannot drink. We are not talking alcohol here ya know. Nothing illegal about it as there is with smoking underage or guns which are a whole new topic.

This brings up another question. Since they can ban the sale of the items on campus can they ban you from drinking them on campus? If so that is infringing on students rights since they are not illegal to consume.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I don't think the law does that. it simply has the schools not selling the stuff. If they begin to dictate what people can bring (As long as its not illegal mind you) then i would draw the line as well.

THe schools will be makign the effort to have somewhat healthy items avalible, but you cannot make them drink it.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
America home of the IMPRISONED

banning soda in schools? whats nexts taking out very soda vending machine in CA

DONT TAKE MY MEDICAL MARIJUANA Mr.Governator

I'll Terminate you and I'll be back

soda..ridiculous *sigh*

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I don't think the law does that. it simply has the schools not selling the stuff. If they begin to dictate what people can bring (As long as its not illegal mind you) then i would draw the line as well.

THe schools will be makign the effort to have somewhat healthy items avalible, but you cannot make them drink it.

Since this is California and we all know what they do most of the time (Overreact) (No Offense towards you Fred) I am willing to bet some will try and do just that and this has me worried.

My cousin and his wife recently moved out of California to Washington just because of all those radicals out there, again no offense meant towards you. My adverse feelings are directed soley at the radicals i.e, Fruits and Nuts.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
It's about time something like this happend! There is simply no reason for soda to be sold in high school or any school. It's just so awful for you, that there is no way it should be there. These are our childrens lives and futures at stake!

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by cownosecat
It's about time something like this happend! There is simply no reason for soda to be sold in high school or any school. It's just so awful for you, that there is no way it should be there. These are our childrens lives and futures at stake!

Hog wash you can blame it all the parents buying habits and the way they bring up their kids. If they did not stop at every Mickey Ds and KFC in the country and stay home and cook good meals the kids would not be obese.

It is the parents that buy the food not the kids. Unfortuanely too many parents give into their kids and let them have what they want and that is wrong.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
You can thank the republicans crusade for the junk food recipe in our bill of rights.
These fat obese politicians just want to turn America into a Communist manifesto state.

Probably in the future they will card you when you buy soft drinks, to see if you have kids.
The ban on sodas is becoming state wide in schools! It is just a matter of time when it comes to your homes.

One day they will haul you away to boot camp for breaking a obesity law.

Just think, who sells the water at these so called healthy vending machines? hint "Coca-Cola and Pepsi"
This is a clever marketing ploy. Water is the number one ingredient for profit.
Americans have been duped. And its funny on how the education systems are to dumb to notice.

[edit on 19-9-2005 by XPhiles]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
people complain about obesity all the time but when somebody actually steps up to do something about it, people complain too...

i think its a step in the right direction. Kids can still drink soda, its not stepping on any of their freedom. Now they just need to ban the sugary fruit juices, chips, etc. Milk might have a lot of calories, but its high protein content at least fills the stomach so the kids eat less for meals. And at least some of its effects are good, such as calcium for the bones.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It is a violation of civil right plain and simple regardless of the intent.
NO one has the right to tell anyone what they can and can't choose to eat or drink.. its absurd!

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I honestly don't see what business the government has in mandating individual health. When something becomes an issue that affects the population, such as contagion or pollution, that's different. I can understand them wanting to educate and promote a healthy lifestyle, but I don't see what business it is of Arnie's to force these schools to take sodas off their shelves. Nevermind the fact that many schools now also have "snack bars", where you can purchase all sorts of goodies that would put a can of Dr. Pepper to shame.

I smoke, and although the wave of public smoking bans irks me somewhat, it makes sense: it's a public health hazard. If I caught Ebola, I'd understand them quarantining me and my family because we're probably contagious. But I don't see how it would've hurt anyone else if I would've drank so many sodas in high school that I needed to push with both hands to get out of my chair.

[standing a little taller on soapbox...]
This is not something that should be taking up a state legislature's time and ink to sign into law. This is something that should be taken up by the parents, getting their kids off the Playstation and out doing something instead of just sitting around. But, if they did that, they wouldn't have anything like GTA to blame if their kids turn out bad. It's not the school's fault your kid's fat. If it's not a health issue like hyperthyroidism or something, it's your fault for not teaching them how to eat right, how to exercise, how to get off their lazy rears and mow the lawn once in a while.

But no, that's not the way it's supposed to be. You're a good parent. It's PepsiCo's fault your kid is fat. It's Taco Bell's fault they need pants two waist sizes bigger than last year. You give them the money to buy it, and don't bother telling them to watch out. You keep the fridge stocked with Cokes, the cupboard's full of Twinkies, and you let them spend all their free time sitting around doing nothing. No, you didn't do anything wrong. You can sleep easy tonight, knowing you've done everything just right, and everyone else has screwed your kid up.

Okay, I think I'm done...
[fades back into the crowd.]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join