It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majic: Ethereal Remnants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   

PODcast: Majic: Ethereal Remnants
An a cappella rendition of a traditional haibane chapel hymn.

length: 02:09
file: bts_musicpodcast_253.mp3
size: 2020k
feed: btsm

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
MegaMajic

This is a rather rough mix of a concept project I started earlier this year. This is an a cappella version of the Haibane Renmei song Ethereal Remains by Kou Ootani. Well, actually it's a very loose adaptation at best.

Anyway, the original song contains instrumentals and voices, but this version is done entirely with voice -- mine.

I lost track in the sub-mix-downs, but I think there's around 70 Majics warbling away in there. This is my first shot at a "Majic Tabernacle Choir" kind of song, and a test run to work out the kinks.

The mix kind of got away from me (imagine having to keep 70 Majics under control
), and I'm thinking I may want to do the song over from scratch, except that I would prefer to just do an all-original work for the next go at this kind of project.

The reason for pushing this particular puppy over the feed is to gage the reaction to this style of music.

If there is interest, then I'll probably give it a fresh go on a massively-layered original a cappella song written specifically for the purpose, and record it with (preferably) a clearer mix and much less reverb.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
wow man, that was all your voice? KEWL! I was sittin here wonderin how in the hell you got that with the VI's you're using. And then I read the notes. Betcha this would go over good in the Faith and Spirituality forums, if we could do that. But all in due time, right?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
It's Later Than We Think

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
wow man, that was all your voice? KEWL! I was sittin here wonderin how in the hell you got that with the VI's you're using. And then I read the notes. Betcha this would go over good in the Faith and Spirituality forums, if we could do that. But all in due time, right?

That time may be closer than any of us realizes.

In three weeks, podcasts are smokin', and a lot of members are still unaware that ATS has them.

And the podcasts are not all by me, either, although obviously I enjoy making them.

There are, of course, several issues to be considered with the technical and practical sides of integrating podcasts with the forums, but I really think SkepticOverlord's vision is going to take us places we can't even imagine now.

Meanwhile, yep, 100% pure Majic on those voices -- and all voices, no instruments. I think my voice layers reasonably well (fairly clean with no noticeable beat frequencies), which is why I love to do the "solo harmonies".

When I refer to a "concept project" here, the concept is that I want to blaze new trails in the use of the human voice, because I am convinced that despite the wonderful body of art based on it so far, there is much, much more that can be done with no more than the voice itself.

Well that, and a hell of a lot of digital processing, of course.

[edit on 9/19/2005 by Majic]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Yep yep yep. YEP. lol. All so true. I don't think ATS could be in better hands. As for the human voice thing, that's not something I have done yet, and it interests me. I might just have to give ole Bobby McFaren a call ("Don't Worry, Be Happy"). He did that whole entire tune with just his voice. Drums, bass, everything.

But really man, that was very friggin cool. You got me jealous now, dammit.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Mutual Jealousy As A Motivational Tool

But really man, that was very friggin cool. You got me jealous now, dammit.

Considering how jealous I am of your work, I have to conclude that this is a healthy relationship.

While I don't consider music a competitive sport, it is definitely cool to be able to bounce tunes back and forth and bask in the creative resonance of sharing the products of our "peculiar afflictions".

I can dig it.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
I can dig it.

Well, me too.

You catch the newest 3 TMS series I uploaded today? A softer one for this time of night: Our Minds

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Don't Mind If I Do

You catch the newest 3 TMS series I uploaded today? A softer one for this time of night: Our Minds

Dude, I've been looping those all day -- and I've also played the hell out of Dancing With The Alien (it has its own playlist I've been looping in iTunes).

So, um, yes, one could say I managed to catch the latest three.

I'm really enjoying them, too. Like you say: musician's music.

And definitely music for the mind.

Now to decode that secret satanic message.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Wow, really great stuff Majic, I loved it. All done by your voice? Awesome. And it looks like I'll have to find the Haibane-Renmei soundtrack online somewhere.

Keep it up.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Excellent job Majic...really!

Please let us know when your first album of contemplative and meditative music is available in its entirety.

I guess music-book stores like Borders would place it in their New Age section.

You'd have my way above vote again but I see that only one per person per month is allowed.

[edit on 19-9-2005 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Man, that is just sooooo good. If the original music is better, I may have to buy the series JUST for the music. YOU ROCK!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Army Of Harkness

Originally posted by Voidmaster
Man, that is just sooooo good. If the original music is better, I may have to buy the series JUST for the music. YOU ROCK!!!

Thanks! That was a hairy “let's see if I can do this” sort of project.

I've applied what I learned from it to subsequent projects. Tomorrow, if Fedex is on time, I will be receiving a nice new preamp for my mic that should help sweeten my vocals a bit.

Later, after it's thoroughly tested, I have a new DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) on the way -- a rack-mounted dual-Opteron system that will allow me to go absolutely berserk with my track count -- along with some primo synthesizer packages featuring massive banks of real instrument samples.

Once I get used to the new gear, I expect some noticeable improvements in my mixes.

As it is, the pair of Mackie 824 studio monitor speakers I got a couple of weeks ago has really opened my ears to the subtleties of producing good mixes. Mixing albums on computer speakers just won't do anymore.

If I actually manage to kick my next album Roxxor out the door by the end of the month, I am hopeful it will showcase some of what I'm learning.

Since I don't have any of its songs actually finished yet, that may be a dicey proposition, but then I did Wings of Gray in nine days, so hey, now I have ten.

Music To Preen By

I really think the original soundtrack for Haibane Renmei is da bomb, although it's not exactly rock music.

For some examples of what it's like, I feature clips from it in my series of podcasts Majic: Concerning Haibane.

Although my background is in rock music (garage band, specifically), I have found that music like this really opens creative doors and inspires me to write more cross-genre.

Not to plug commercial products, but I know Amazon.com carries Hanenone, which includes Ethereal Remains. Amazon provides some sample clips to help get a further idea of what the album sounds like.

As for the series, anime in general is just too darn expensive in my opinion, but if you shop around, you can get some (relatively) decent deals. Amazon carries the series, too (I recommend using their search feature to compare options).

In any case, I'm glad you like it, and if I ever get off my butt and start recording again, I hope to provide some nice new tracks soon.

We'll see.

top topics

join