It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sperm Ships Now Heading For The United Kingdom

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Anonymous sperm donors are now forbidden in the UK. There is already a shortage of sperm donors and they expect the shortage to become worse. Danish ships with sperm are now heading for the UK to be anchored off the coast. People can then board the ships and receive fertility treatment forbidden in the UK.

BBC: Sperm ships for fertility seekers

16 September 2005

There is a shortage of sperm donors in the UK

British people may soon be able to board ships anchored off the coast to obtain fertility treatment forbidden in the UK, such as anonymous donor sperm.

Ole Schou from the international sperm bank company Cryos, based in Denmark, is consultant to the ship scheme. Ships would be governed by the laws of the country whose flag they flew.

As the fertility ships would be governed by the laws of their own country, people from many different countries would be able to sidestep their own nation's fertility laws. In Denmark for example, it is illegal for fertility doctors to assist lesbians and single people in their quest for a baby.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow, imagine a Super Tanker with sperm
. It´s interesting that difference in laws in different countries leads to trading across the borders like this. But I´m not surprised.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
So abortion is legal in the UK but not artificial insemination?

Doesn't seem too logical to me, I have no problem with that. But I pray for the day when abortion is illegal in these United States.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
So this "sperm ship" would be the first ship to have both Seamen and semen aboard? (I'm excluding any sailor jokes during a time of war)

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
the first ship to have both Seamen and semen aboard

Both are present on all such ships, but it's the containers that are different.

For anyone that didn't pick it up, the legal issue here centers on the word "anonymity".

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Wouldnt just be cheaper to buy a ticket to where it is legal? Europes not that big of a place that would preclude a day trip for this or at the worst an overnighter.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Originally posted by Rasputin13
the first ship to have both Seamen and semen aboard

Both are present on all such ships, but it's the containers that are different.

Thats one laughing head for my Mrs and myself reading here to both of you

To the thread topic if i can keep a straight face now i also find it strange that abortion is legal but not artificial insemination.Does`nt that have to do with Child support laws,that the donor can be or maybe in the future liable.?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Artificial insemination is legal in the UK. Its the shortage of sperm donors that is the problem. The UK has a strict screening policy for any sperm donor. Has any of the sperm on board these ships gone through the rigorous screening for HIV etc?

Artificial insemination is granted to couples by the government through our "national health service" at no cost to the people involved. When this is declined by the health service, the people involved have to pay private for the treatment. Maybe the ships are offering this service at a much cheaper price, but at what risk would people actually take by having this treatment if the sperm is infected?

[edit on 19-9-2005 by Bikereddie]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Artificial insemination is legal in the UK. Its the shortage of sperm donors that is the problem. The UK has a strict screening policy for any sperm donor. Has any of the sperm on board these ships gone through the rigorous screening for HIV etc?

Gotcha and understood cheers

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Of course the sperm on those ships are not infected with anything. The whole issue here is that the donors on the ship are anonymous. I can understand perfectly why many donors don`t want their "children" come knocking on their door some time in the future. Some donors might not have a problem with this, but most donors do mind. And this has nothing to do with running away from responsibility. There is a difference between donating sperm and knocking somebody up. Result = donor shortage.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Of course the sperm on those ships are not infected with anything.

How do you know that other countries dont have the same rigorous standard as Englands?

I fully understand the welfare concerns of Gov on single parent issues.

But if this is not regulated properly you can have anyone jerking off in a cup for $20 bucks is a serious concern,all i`m asking is do you know its safely regulated?

[edit on 19-9-2005 by gps777]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Of course the sperm on those ships are not infected with anything.

How do you know that other countries dont have the same rigorous standard as Englands?

[edit on 19-9-2005 by gps777]

Because the ship is from an EU country. If they don't already have a common policy for the screening of biological fluids, then they at least have transparency measures to ensure that Denmark's biological exports meet England's standards.

-koji K.

[edit on 19-9-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Danish article in english. They start their article with mentioning that Danish Vikings invaded England more than 1,000 years ago...

Jyllandsposten: Danish sperm ships spark furore in the UK

When Danish Vikings invaded England more than 1,000 years ago they did not only leave a trail of death and destruction.

Now, the genetic export across the North Sea can resume, albeit under somewhat more peaceful conditions.

'The ships will be equipped as clinics and staffed with doctors and nurses who can supply the treatment. We have said yes to supplying the ships with sperm, as long as it happens under acceptable conditions,'

The fertility ships would be governed by Danish law, which allows midwives to assist lesbians and single people in their quest for a baby, while forbidding fertility doctors to grant the same service.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
If you`re worried about the quality of the sperm, check this out. Latest from BBC.

BBC: Green sperm to aid fertility work

A jellyfish protein was added to the sperm

A technique to make sperm glow green could aid research into infertility, say scientists.

An Oxford University team extracted a gene that manufactures a green protein in a jellyfish and used it to create green sperm in hamster testicles.

Hamsters have similar sperm to humans and therefore provide an ideal model for studying human sperm development, and how things go wrong.

The technique may also offer the possibility of a new way of creating genetically modified animals for all sorts of other research.

What`s next, green babies?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Wow, green sperm? That is exactly how you know people have too much time on their hands.

Imagine a small child living near that ship harbor... "Mommy, why are there so many women going on ship tours?"

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   

djohnsto77
but not artificial insemination

No, anonymous donation of sperm is illegal.

But I pray for the day when abortion is illegal in these United States.

pray all ya want. not.gonna.happen.

fredt
Wouldnt just be cheaper to buy a ticket to where it is legal?

Well, hell, wouldn't it be cheaper to just go out and do it??

bikereddie
Has any of the sperm on board these ships gone through the rigorous screening for HIV etc?

Or for non-disjunction of chromosome 21 (which leads to down syndrmoe), or any of a number of genetic diseases, or any other regular diseases?
I mean, whatever the problem with anonymous donors is in the UK, its pretty obvious that a country is better off havign direct control of this stuff and the inspection regarding it, than not. Either way, anonymous sperm donation is happening, and now because of this law its happening under some other country's regulations, and for a higher price.

that Danish Vikings invaded England more than 1,000 years ago...

Its amazing that a hilarious situation can be made even more funny!

blanketgirl
"Mommy, why are there so many women going on ship tours?"

And meanwhile the men are getting on a ship going to the netherlands to run around in amsterdam's red light district.

Seems that there's a free flow of sperm between england and the netherlands/denmark. Trade Balance and all.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
One question hellmutt.

Do they make them wear the helmets with the horns on them while *ahem* donating.... I mean continuance of national tradition and all

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
What happens if this Super Tanker with Sperm crashes on shallow rocks and spills its cargo?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
What happens if this Super Tanker with Sperm crashes on shallow rocks and spills its cargo?

Thats just wrong.......

I have images of it somehow insemintaing the local wildlife...a few years later and we have "Mer-people" climbing out of the sea around Skegness and Brighton looking for their biological father.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I have images of it somehow insemintaing the local wildlife...a few years later and we have "Mer-people" climbing out of the sea around Skegness and Brighton looking for their biological father.

But you have to admit the the title is kind of Misleading.

Imagine this Title:

ALERT! Sperm Ships Heading For The United Kingdom! Evacuation Ordered!

Sounds almost like an incoming disaster that you can not avoid - like a Hurricane slamming the coast.

But this time its a Ship Filled with Sperm!

EWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I Don't Wanna know!

[edit on 21/9/05 by Souljah]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Could you imagine if there was a "Sperm Slick"

How do you contain one? The little buggers would swim in all directions!!

You'd have the green types volunterring to clean Seabirds, stocking up with Kleenex at the beech......

Ewwww...indeed.

[edit on 21/9/05 by stumason]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join