It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting board of it all?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
On the contrary, even when and if alien visitation is confirmed, it's only the beginning of a new age in UFOlogy.

And how does UFOology currently define "confirmation" in this matter?

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Interesting to see just who is getting bored with it all. And to see a healthy skepticism creep in.

"The puzzle is straight forward. It's not easy. But it's at least logical." == mannanin

I beg to disagree. Assuming intelligence of a non-terresterial nature is around, the puzzle is NOT straight
forward, nor easy, and I doubt it would be logical to us.

"But in the absence of any evidence, what we get instead is something akin to a religion." == mannanin

Or could it be time to break away from the "dream weavers" ? Either that or follow the suggestion made by
thepostman ==
"One can only gain so much through the info available from books & researchers for example. Why not further
your studies, i'm assuming you haven't tried going to a location with a camcorder, meditate for 5 mins then film the sky?"

That sounds like desperation. If you cant beat em, then join em kinda thing.

"I suppose one could just wait for the newsletter and get a heads up then, but I kinda enjoy hunting the site for nuggets amongst the glitter." == shadow watcher

Yes, but there are times when nothing glitters. Thats when you bring your own sparkle spray. If you folks are up to it,
maybe its time to play a little Fermi game. Bring your own glitter, and I shall work up a few basic rules. Any takers ?

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I don't even know what a Fermi game is but I like the sound of it! Sorry to be so lame: spray glitter?

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I don't really know why I spend so much time on it. I don't get bored, I'm quite driven for some reason but I really can't say why, I guess the subject just attracts some people.

I don't expect disclosure anytime soon, nor expect personal closure on the subject, it's just a continous circle and I doubt anyone man will ever know the full truth...So why keep looking? not a clue, but I intend to continue.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I'd been into UFO's and aliens for a long time until about my junior year of high school when I learned the joys of driving, smoking, and getting stupid with friends without parents around. Life got in the way for a few years, as it always does, and then I found ATS. Like a few of the others here, I got excited again, stayed up late reading all sorts of different stuff on Dulce, Greys, whatever I could find. I didn't get so much bored with everything as just kind of put off.

One reason was that, as others have said, there's just so many hoaxes out there. I understand that it's all part of the game, but look at something like PY a few months ago. A lot of people were caught up in it, wanting to believe--and I think that's one of the main reasons we get in this, wanting more reason to believe--and even though there were quite a few saying "yeah, I'll believe it when I see it," I don't think it's much of a stretch to say we were all excited about the possibility. We get our hopes up, only to have them knocked back out. You live, you learn, you know now what to keep an eye out for, but it creates a layer of cynicism that's kinda hard to scrape through.

The other main reason is that, in spite of all the interest in the subject and all the claims that the government knows so much more than what they're letting on about, there's no major, concerted effort for disclosure. Sure, there's the official "Disclosure Project," but there's no grass roots efforts at all and the disc. project seems to be more of a money grab than anything else. I'm just as guilty of this as the next guy--I'll admit I'm more a follower than a leader--but I would think that there would be more people trying to make an organized effort to get the government to talk. Without that, a lot of the discussion is just like you hear in a bar: a bunch of people griping about this, that, or the other thing, never doing anything about it. It's fun to vent, but it gets old after a while.

I guess I wouldn't say I've gotten bored of UFOlogy, just cynical about it. It seems those who are really trying to do something about it are truly after attention or money, and those who aren't after either of those are just sitting around griping and telling stories.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I feel depressed.

One year on since this thread began...

...and I've yet to see any footage that's convincing (no matter how hard I wish!).

In the meantime:

1. mobile phones with video cameras have become widespread
2. the ability to share movies from phone to phone makes it almost impossible to stop instant dissemination.
3. the phenomenon of YouTube has become huge and very easy (and free) to use
4. blogging is now so established that it's regarded in some corners as the new form of independent (and uncensored) news dissemination.

So why haven't we seen any convincing footage?

If a UFO, any UFO, hovered over any major city you might (conservatively) expect there to be at least half a dozen people out and about, with a videophone, bothering to look up at the time.

Even if all we can get is a blurry white light, it becomes much more convincing if we have multiple sightings from multiple angles.

If any such multiple sighting occurred, wouldn't it have found it's way onto YouTube by now? Wouldn't some of the thousands of UFO blogs, (or even general interest blogs) have picked it up by now?

I can think of several major news stories that have been broken via videophone footage in this last year. Why not this?

People in the past have used the term 'conspiracy' to explain why major news networks don't show us some of the sightings that allegedly go on. However, any conspiracy large enough to monitor and sabotage the functionality of millions of mobile phones, or ISPs wouldn't stay secret for very long.

There's a threshold to how large and complex a conspiracy can be before it becomes unsustainable. Keeping military projects secret is one thing. Strongarming news networks is just about feasable...

But tracking all civilian communications in case someone happens to see something whizzing by in the sky... It just does ring true.

Whilst absence of UFOs doesn't constitute proof against, proof positive seems just as far away as ever. Sadly my longing to believe can only be stretched so far.

Here's hoping 2007 brings a change in fortune.

[edit on 18-11-2006 by mannanin]

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
There's always something written somewhere not as yet found and read or yet to be brought out by fluke or research. My interest and efforts in UFO/EBEs reality looks to the past with an eye on the present day.
Seems to be to much fluff mingled in and around present day reports in to many cases.

What to believe and what to put aside as disinfo get's more difficult to catch, or really true reports are mistakenly ignored. But that's part of the intrigue and challenge. Great this older thread was brought back to life.

Dallas

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyateLaBoca
Dont you people ever get board of it all?

I started getting into the UFO field about 2 years ago. Until that time, I have read it all, and its the same story over and over again. Its all very interesting and all, but you dont see any progress. Now I'm in withdrawl mode.

So my question to you is...arent you bored yet?

On a side note: I have to applaud the credible people in this profession who have not withdrawn becuase of loss of interest and are still in this field.

[edit on 18-9-2005 by kyateLaBoca]

I think anyone that beleaves in UFOs to be like faith in a religion.

Maybe one night someone saw an unexplainable object in the sky.

I mean if something is unidentified why cant someone have faith in the fact that maybe it was a UFO.

Religion does this kind of thing all the time at least from an atheisist point of view.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
You're getting bored because you're not digging deep enough. 99% of amateur UFOlogists get nowhere because they don't make any effort, they never investigate anything. You've got to actually investigate. Follow leads, do research, make contacts, put yourself 'out there'. You won't have to confirm anything, they will confirm it for you when they start trying to silence you.

The great thing about forums like these is that they allow us to absorb information which, at a later date, might crop up again. Being able to point out such a connection puts you one step closer to the truth. Being a nutjob UFO tourist takes you about a million steps backward.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
On the internet you can read about new sightings around the world every week. They are all the same though, with somebody seeing strange lights 2000ft up in the sky.

So supposing some of these sightings are infact of extra-terrestrial vehicles.

1. Why are they so elusive?
2. If they are hiding from us why do they need to have their lights on at night?
3. What have they been doing all these years?
4. a) Why does America have to be in control of the cover-up?
b) if there have been crashes in other countries since the Roswell incident why haven't they broadcast it on the news?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join