It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free WWW, Is it possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I would like to start a WWW website. I have a computer that can act as a server and only a maximum of 50 people will be on at any given time. I don't want to pay for any thing. Is it possible to use my computer as a web server?

I heard that UNIX an Windows XP can run together but I would like to just host the site off my XP computer without UNIX. I don't want to pay for software, freeware would be great.

What can I do?

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
If you have a static IP, that is an IP that doesn't change then it is possible. You need to download Apache it is free. On the down side you will have to use your IP as the address ie. just numbers xxx.xxx.x.x Not a www. anything. If you will put in a small amount of money you can have your own dns name sent to you so that you could use www.whatever. But it has small fee.

P.S. More than likely your site will be slower than the ones you are used to going to.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by K_OS
If you have a static IP, that is an IP that doesn't change then it is possible. ... On the down side you will have to use your IP as the address ie. just numbers xxx.xxx.x.x Not a www. anything. If you will put in a small amount of money you can have your own dns name sent to you so that you could use www.whatever. But it has small fee.

To get around this (free) you can use something like No-IP (Free Service), however you will get an address from this lot:

bounceme.net
hopto.org
myftp.biz
myftp.org
myvnc.com
no-ip.biz
no-ip.info
no-ip.org
redirectme.net
servebeer.com
servecounterstrike.com
serveftp.com
servegame.com
servehalflife.com
servehttp.com
servemp3.com
servepics.com
servequake.com
sytes.net
zapto.org

So your address could be something like mywonderfulnewdns.bounceme.net...

They have a tool so that if your IP changes it automatically updates the DNS address. Useful and free but do you want one of those domain names?

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I tried Apache before, works great. I am having a problem with it with my router though. You CAN use a domain name .com, .net, .org, etc. But I'm fine with just an IP address.

I guess I will have to resort back to it.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Try a Dot TK domain name. there free!!!

[edit on 24/9/05 by Atomix]

[edit on 24/9/05 by Atomix]

top topics

join