It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Rita ( Bad News For Gulf )

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The water temps are certainly warm enough to sustain a cat 4 storm and even bring this on the verge of a cat 5. Look no further than Hurricane Opal when it rapidly intensified to about 150 to 155mph in mid October about 7 years ago. It doesn't take 90 degree waters to get a cat 4/5. You need warm water and favorable atmospheric condidtions to get a powerful storm. Both conditions exist today. This storm will also completely miss the region of water crossed by Katrina. So there is no benefit from upwelling. A direct hit on the Houston area could have a devistating impact on the insurance industry (not that im complaining about insurance companies taking a hit).

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
Dr Love -- a hurricane doesn't guarantee a cool down -- Have known it to be hotter and more humid after them so watch what you wish for. Plus if you lose power you don't have your fans or ac to deal with the hot and humid weather.

Well, cloud cover does. You see here in Houston when a cloud passes in front of the sun the temperature drops ten freakin' degrees. We have the worst smog in America. Combine that with the humidity of some Vietnamese jungle and the baking sun and you have the most hellish kind of heat you could imagine. Just cloud cover makes a big difference in temperature.

As far losing power goes, I live in Tom DeLay's Congressional district. Our power will be one of the first to come back on.

Peace

[edit on 20-9-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
A cell capable of producing tornadoes moving in... tornado warning issued till 3pm

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
www.meted.ucar.edu...

If you put the high in the "high front" and the low in the "low back", it the No hit.

You cant predict this storm with whats given, there would need to be a high in the low east part of TN/ high west corner of Georgia

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Tornado warning Broward? county - Cooper City area next 30 mins new here and dont know how to post "news"

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Plantation Key - 15 mins tornado!

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I'm experiencing heavy downpours and very gusty winds, definitely a gust in the 50-60mph range. One flicker but power is still on.

check the radar, the red is about to come to me
www.nbc6.net...

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Seems it´s getting worse...Hope you still have power...

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I have a bad feeling for Houston this time around.

Stock up on OIL/GASOLINE now...its going to be a long winter

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
It's not looking good for the Keys as of 4:19pm Eastern on Tuesday.

And as you all know, it's heading straight for Texas. Bet you disaster response teams are ready for that.

[edit on 20-9-2005 by Mirlin11]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Pressure continues to fall at a slow but steady rate, now at 973.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
In the 5PM forecast advisory the NHC has upped the strength prediction to Cat 4 (115 KT/133MPH) on landfall.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Ogggh.
Seems that Katrina´s twin is coming.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Boy this is lame for Southerners.

Also, it's lame for us Northerners who love the rain.

On behalf of the Northeast, I respectfully request all further hurricanes be directed up the coast. Give folks along the gulf a chance to catch their breath.

Would anyone even be surprised if we saw 4 more category 4 hurricanes conga-line right along the same path before the season is over? I think three more are already lined up in the tropics, aren't they?

I also saw a storm system north of Canada's eastern coast on the radar. The system had good rotation and a very cohesive appearance. Will it sink down into my area perchance?

One final note, anybody having flashbacks from The Day After Tommorow? Yaknow, global superstorms that cover a third of a continent each to start, and eventually span out to include the entire globe? Anybody think we're only a decade or so away from that eventuality?

It was a brutally hot summer in some places, and now it's shaping up to be a short and savage winter. If that's the case, early spring means even worse temperatures and corresponding hurricane season next year. And so on, until the superstorms materialize in a few decades, or less.

Anyone think this isn't so far-fetched?

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
No, WyredeOne, I wouldn´t surprise if 4 more hurricanes came in line along the same path... These two months have shown us that everything can happen. Even though, I hope they just vanish away...

It´s funny you mention the flashbacks from - The Day After Tomorrow" too. May I recommend you reading this thread?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

All this makes me think about it carefully...

You asked: Anyone think this isn't so far-fetched?
& I also ask: what about a reversal in the gravitational field?
Have you read the thread I linked before, what about the birds flying around...?

I have no idea what will happen. But if you add the solar flares to all this mixer, if this continues the way it goes... something really big is going to happen.
I am afraid we have no idea of all the future events that will surprise us...

[edit on 20-9-2005 by Ptolomeo]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
OK, I'm sounding like a broken record, but the pressure continues it's trend, now down to 970.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Katrina I believe at cat 5 was 908 if I am not mistaken. Whatever it was Rita for sure has the same chance. I feel sorry for those folks in texas if thats where it ends up.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harry55
Katrina I believe at cat 5 was 908 if I am not mistaken. Whatever it was Rita for sure has the same chance. I feel sorry for those folks in texas if thats where it ends up.

She was actually lower, 902 I'm pretty sure, 4th strongest ever recorded.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Here ya' go Harry55, Katrina was the 3rd lowest pressure at landfall at 920 and the 4th lowest recorded Atlantic hurricane at 902.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I predict Rita will be a Cat 5 sometime during her life, whether she hits as one will probably be just chance based on her eye wall replacement cycle.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join