It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Rita ( Bad News For Gulf )

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCory1
I think might have I realized my mistake--the projections NOAA is showing on their maps gives the position of the hurricane center;

The US Navy's tropical weather map for Rita gives you a better idea
of what will be the future locations and intensities.

click the pic to enlarge

More here:
tcweb.fnmoc.navy.mil...

[edit on 22-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
At 7:03pm on Accuweather:

A hundred mile backup on the highway? People running out of gas in traffic?? OMG.... If those people can't get out of there...

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Thanks Regenmacher

Just curious, but anyone else get the impression that the highway backup might be the next in line for a good FEMA conspiracy? I mean, as Mirlin11 pointed out, that's quite a bit of traffic, and there's a decent storm coming. Any ideas?

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Accuweather went through a similar weather "war" last year. I remember reading a summary in which the tone was one of frustration and anger. I was in shock when I read it! If you read the 2004 year in review summary by Joe Bastardi here: hurricane.accuweather.com...
you will see what I am talking about. I do remember that thier forcast was the more correct one at the time.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Time is running out, Rita is approaching... Can´t they carry out a massive evacuation by airplane? Better leave the cars and save lives...

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCory1
I mean, as Mirlin11 pointed out, that's quite a bit of traffic, and there's a decent storm coming. Any ideas?

They still have over a day to get out of Dodge(pun), so hopefully the roads unclog by then.
The fly in the ointment is they are running out of fuel at the gas stations.

I think it points out, FEMA included, that if you rely on the government to direct your life, you will be disappointed at the least or dead at the most. I wouldn't expect the Fed to legislate commonsense into the masses either.

Julie Bell gets some help driving from 11-month-old Jolie, as the Bell's including Samuel, left, are stuck in an evacuation traffic jam on I-10 near Iowa, La., Thursday, Sept. 22, 2005. Julie said the group left Lake Charles, La., in anticipation of Hurricane Rita and has been in traffic for five-and-a-half hours.

BTW, NiN rocks

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
The folks they had better get evacuated fast are the ones in southeast Texas and south western Louisianna. They are just finding out this afternoon and tonight that Rita likely is headed thier way. I heard someone say today that Rita and Katrina had affected the lifes of 30% of the U.S. population. This is bad.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by Harry55]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Let´s hope traffic becomes better in a day time and the evacuation continues...

I cannot imagine people getting desperate waiting in their cars and going back home to ride the storm out....

Rita is still a major hurricane (even if it is not a Cat. 5)... I hope they understand it is a dangerous hurricane...

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Here is a blog section of Msn that I found. It was upsetting to read just how bad the traffic has become.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Hi All,

I have found yet another intersting story about how a spy imagery agency is about to record Rita, to provide before and after images. Here is the link to the story:
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=Aj5Q3pnpRGw_JC9jjgg2vtKs0NUE;_ylu=X3o'___'A3b2NibDltBHNlYwM3MTY-

Thier satalite is supposed to be able to take some increadibly detailed pictures.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Can take off that tracking code stuff on the end of the link and it works

news.yahoo.com...

Hi-res color sats here (click 250m size):
rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
thanx regenmacher.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
8 pm update NOAA

AT 7 PM CDT...0000Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE RITA WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 26.0 NORTH...LONGITUDE 89.9 WEST OR ABOUT 350 MILES...
565 KM...EAST-SOUTHEAST OF GALVESTON TEXAS AND ABOUT 290 MILES...
465 KM...SOUTHEAST OF CAMERON LOUISIANA.

RITA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH...17 KM/HR. A
GRADUAL TURN TOWARD THE NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24
HOURS. ON THIS TRACK...THE CORE OF RITA WILL BE APPROACHING THE
SOUTHWEST LOUISIANA AND THE UPPER TEXAS COAST LATE FRIDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 145 MPH...230 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. RITA IS A EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON THE
SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE LIKELY
DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.
THE LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPORTED BY AN AIR FORCE
HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT WAS 913 MB...26.96 INCHES.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Last visible satellite image of the day:

click the pic for hi-res

Looks like eyewall replacement cycle is complete.
I would say it will be a cat 5 tonight.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
to give an idea of how bad the traffic is in Texas, a friend of my husbands business partner left at 1:30 in the morning. He called him at 8:30 this morning and he had only gone 20 miles. He had filled his tank up before he left and was down to a half of a tank. He said there are several cars stranded on the side of the road because they ran out of gas. There is no where to fill up. So to all in the area, I wish you luck.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Just wanted to put the traffic situation into perspective for you all... My mom's fiancee is coming here from Houston and left at 6:30 this morning. He called at 9:30ish and had only gone 16 miles... We just got a phone call from him about an hour ago and he said that once he past Hwy 69 he started going like 75 mph... He's moved more in the past 10 minutes than in the previous 10 hours... He was worried about having no gas and there were many cars on the side of the road entirely SOL... Hopefully he'll get here soon (to New Orleans... yeah, I know it sounds mighty stupid...)...

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
8 pm est update Accu Weather

Rita is a historic hurricane. Winds remain at 145 mph with gusts to
180 mph. This is the season's second catastrophic hurricane. As of 7:00 p.m. CDT, Rita was centered near 26.0 north and 89.9 west. This places Rita 350 miles east-southeast of Galveston, Texas. The minimum central pressure is 913 millibars (26.96 inches of mercury). This storm has been the third most intense Atlantic basin hurricane ever recorded. Rita is currently moving to the west-northwest at 10 mph. Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 60 miles, and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 205 miles from the center of circulation. The storm will fluctuate in strength over the next 24 hours

A very bad storm folks. Get out of its path.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I am stuck here with out a tv. I wont get it back untill sometime between noon and 5 tomorow. Has anyone heard where it is headed inland? last I heard, it was going to head straight for me in Missouri. I know it is nothing compaired to what those on the coast are going to be dealing with, but with the fronts we have now, if that thing comes my way, tornado alley will be an understatment.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
mrsdudara, from everything I've heard you should be pretty much in the clear. Probably get some good rain and some decent wind, but it's going towards TX and LA.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
mrsdudara,
Here are a few projections for you. They dont do much in predicting where the storm will head after leaving TX.

From NOAA:

From weather.com:

From accuwether.com

From weather underground:

Hope this helps you some.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join