It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Rita ( Bad News For Gulf )

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
LOL regenmacher! That was a good one!!

Here is a great link for more satire: www.cagle.com...

IMO, I think humor is a great way to calm fears and help one to deal with crazy life scenarios.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by sylvrshadow]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Regenmacher, thats baddd.....

Really tells the story this year.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Rita from all indications is strengthening again. Not sure what kind of PR damage control the NHC will be doing but here is the latest vortex message.

URNT12 KNHC 222107Z
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 22/2043Z
B. 25 DEG 50 MIN N
89 DEG 25 MIN W
C. 700 MB 2320 M
D. NA
E. NA
F. 124 DEG 123 KT
G. 033 DEG 12 NM
H. 911 MB
I. 12 C/ 3054 M
J. 19 C/ 3064 M
K. 16 C/ NA
L. CLOSED WALL
M. C015-40
N. 12345/7
O. 1/1 NM
P. NOAA3 1818A RITA OB 46
MAX FL WIND 133 KT NW QUAD 1910Z
EXCELLENT RADAR PRESENTATION
OUTER EYEWALL CONTRACTING

Two things to note. The pressure is down to 911mb and the max flight level winds are up to 133kt. They were only 122kt in the 5pm advisory.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Discussion NOAA 5 pm

THE MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE HAS REMAINED AROUND 913
MB...WHICH IS A VERY LOW PRESSURE TO HAVE ONLY 125 KNOTS. IN
ADDITION TO THE EYEWALL REPLACEMENT CYCLE...RITA IS CURRENTLY
MOVING OVER THE EDGE OF A COLD SST EDDY. THIS COULD HAVE ENHANCED
THE WEAKENING TODAY. THE HURRICANE IS FORECAST TO MOVE OVER ANOTHER
WARM EDDY DURING THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS AND THERE IS SOME CHANCE
THAT RITA COULD REGAIN SOME INTENSITY.

This may be what we are seeing now Rita moving over the warm water.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Indy, I've seen your complaints against the NHC for upgrading things they shouldn't have...I think they're doing the opposite here. It's clearly getting stronger and was before the 5 PM advisory, yet they reduced the wind speed.

Also note the CLOSED WALL part, that's the first time I saw that since last night.

[edit on 9/22/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylvrshadow

Here is a great link for more satire: www.cagle.com...
IMO, I think humor is a great way to calm fears and help one to deal with crazy life scenarios.
]

Thanks Sylvrshadow
I needed that break, starting to feel the same dread when Kartrina hit.

Anxiety is not so good for the body, but a good belly laugh sure is

You get good karma points from me today.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Discussion 5:35 pm Accu Weather

Storm surge of as high as 20-25 feet is possible along the coast near and to the right of landfall. In addition 8-16 inches of rain can accompany the storm into eastern Texas and western Louisiana, perhaps even higher amounts should the storm stall out after moving inland.

In addition to the areas in the immediate path of the storm, the New Orleans area will have effects of the storm. 2-4 inches of rain will fall over the next couple of days, and as much as 6-8 inches are not out of the questions should they get into persistent rainbands, and there will be a storm surge of 2-3 feet. This will lead to additional flooding problems. The rainbands can bring winds gusting 40-50 mph at times, as well.

This is their forecast for New Orleans.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by Harry55]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
You are qute welcome regenmacher.

Looking at them helped to give me amore positive focus. I am glad it had a similar effect for you too.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
As of 6:02pm:

On the News they're saying that she's a Category 4 now.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harry55
This is their forecast for New Orleans.

Thanks Harry.

NWS has even lower rainfall rates for NOLA, which doesn't look as if they are considering a more northerly track and/or possible stalling over LA/TX.

Forecasters are practicing PC damage control reports? Seems they are on the conservative side of things.

STORM TIDES OF 2 TO 4 FEET ABOVE NORMAL CAN BE EXPECTED IN LAKES PONTCHARTRAIN AND MAUREPAS.
STORM TOTAL RAINFALL OF 3 TO 5 INCHES IS LIKELY IN SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA.
iwin.nws.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I have downloaded all dvorak images since this storm has become a storm. There are 119 total. I have build these into an animation. Here is the animation if you care to view it. Word of caution: It is a big download at about 12mb.

Enjoy

www.climatepatrol.com...

Additional Note: I will try and do the same later tonight with the IR images.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
WOW!! Thats some awesome work Indy!! How long did it take you to do it??

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
I have downloaded all dvorak images since this storm has become a storm. There are 119 total. I have build these into an animation. Here is the animation if you care to view it. Word of caution: It is a big download at about 12mb.

Enjoy

www.climatepatrol.com...

Additional Note: I will try and do the same later tonight with the IR images.

Thanks for all the hard work Indy
BTW, Max M. just admitted that Rita probably will go through some strengthening again.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
This is the chart For The Buoy 42001 Rita Just Passed

This is a time series plot of the past 5 days as of 4:50 pm.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Am I correct in interpreting this chart (from NOAA) as forecasting a landfall as a Category 1 storm? I've been trying to follow it for the past few days, and that's what I've come to believe from it, but they way its being played up how catastrophic the storm is going to be, I'm beginning to doubt my interpretation. Granted, the forecast could change, or just be flat out wrong, but isn't this pretty much all there is to go on right now?

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCory1
Am I correct in interpreting this chart (from NOAA) as forecasting a landfall as a Category 1 storm? I've been trying to follow it for the past few days, and that's what I've come to believe from it, but they way its being played up how catastrophic the storm is going to be, I'm beginning to doubt my interpretation. Granted, the forecast could change, or just be flat out wrong, but isn't this pretty much all there is to go on right now?

Look at the 36hr strength, that's landfall, it will be cat 1 AFTER it's over land.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Accuwx takes cheap shot at NHC

The graphic from the National Hurricane Center shows much less confidence in the storm's impact. This product is designed to be used by government and emergency management officials. Their forecast is for less than a 50% chance of hurricane force winds along the coast of northeastern Texas and southwestern Louisiana. AccuWeather feels this forecast is virtually useless.

source

Houston Residents Struggle to Get Inland

Evacuees from Hurricane Rita stand outside their vehicles on Interstate 10 near downtown Houston. The massive chemical industry along the Texas coast was battening down for Hurricane Rita amid fears of a blow that could have enormous environmental as well as economic consequences

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Indy, GREAT work. That really shows what happened and looks to be back almost where the storm was at its peak. Thanks

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Thanks dangermouse. I was looking back between it and the maps NOAA is providing, and I think might have I realized my mistake--the projections NOAA is showing on their maps gives the position of the hurricane center; I wasn't considering the fact that the actual storm is a couple hundred miles wide...

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Accuwx takes cheap shot at NHC

I agree it does look like a cheap shot, they look like two different forecasts -- the NHC one is based on time and the Accuweather total probability.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join