It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Rita ( Bad News For Gulf )

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Thanks Sylvrshadow,

The bloggers seem to agree the ERC has started* and RITA has peaked.

*Latest recon shows a 15 mile wide inner eyewall and 50+ mile wide outer eyewall, so ERC doesn't appear to have completed yet. But, pressures are going back down, which would indicate it has ...most puzzling.

Rita may go for broke again though, as shear is dieing down .
I am not so apt to believe cooler water will have a factor until she nears landfall either.

DORVAK T#s are going back up:
cimss.ssec.wisc.edu...

Rita showing reorganization in water vaopr loop:
www.ssd.noaa.gov...

[edit on 22-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

As for fuel prices, I will let you decide:
•Refineries and Rita's projected path map

It almost seems as if someone's trying to tell us something...

"it's time for you all to stop being so oil dependent....."

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Ooohh....now THATs a conspiracy theory...using HAARP to send these storms to free the US of it's oil dependancy! I don't believe it, but it's a great angle!

The latest sat loop really makes it look like a LA landfall...between Marsh Island and Lake Charles maybe....despite the track. It also looks better organized in the last frames of the loop....

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacesounds

It almost seems as if someone's trying to tell us something...

Riding the "one trick crude oil pony" till she craps out with onlookers pointing that she has already gone lame.

I agree, time for a new energy show as Rita is going to give us another lesson in oil dependence.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Did you notice in the last satellite pic posted that the eye really looks like an eye

[edit on 9/22/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Did you notice in the last satellite pic posted that the eye really looks like an eye

Oops sorry about the edit job, but the images are changing and they made my before and after analogy look nuts...

More here:
www.cira.colostate.edu...

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I may be reading this wind shear map wrong but it really looks like the shear all around the immediate area of Rita is virtually nil..

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
djohnsto77, I was about to make the same comment after observing the latest satelite imagery. I thnk Rita may be starting a come back.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by Harry55]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

No? I didn't see that. I was too busy watching the orc armies that were adancing on New Orleans. Good point though. It is a bit creepy looking.

"I see you. I see your oil wells"

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
As of 3:04PM:

No New Orleans hit.

That wind shear map hurts my eyes. :-)

[edit on 22-9-2005 by Mirlin11]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
iNorman Cousins
1915-1990, American Editor, Humanitarian, Author
Nothing is more powerful than an individual acting out of his conscience, thus helping to bring the collective conscience to life.

Does anyone think we can dissolve this hurricane with a mass collective conscience?
For now it seems everyone's conscience is on where Rita is going to hit.

Does anyone remember an old Art Bell show where Art was disturbed about mass consciousness, and centralized on the negative causing the negative to emerge.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
So she IS coming back (a bit), pressure down a little to 913.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
From NOAA

Tidal Flooding Along the Upper Texas Coast
Introduction
Because of our very low elevation above sea level on the upper Texas coast, tidal flooding remains a significant hazard to waterfront communities. For tropical systems, ranging from tropical depressions to hurricanes, storm surge is the dominate factor. Storm surge is a large dome of water often 50 to 100 miles wide that sweeps across the coastline near and to the right of where the system makes landfall. The stronger the system, the slower its forward motion, and the shallower the offshore water, the higher and more prolonged the surge will be.

I did not realize storm surge covered that much coastline. Wow....

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I agree with those of you who think the storm will strengthen again before finally starting to lessen it's intensity. I also think it will turn more northward and cross into Louisiana. It is still under some influence of the Gulf steering current which runs East to West, but as it nears land that current will become less and less pronounced.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
WHEW!! my sister finally made it to dallas. Only took her 11 hours. At least i know her and my nephews are ok. i'm happy i'll get to see em since i haven't seen them since christmas

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Hi All,
Thank you very much to whomever was able to post that picture in my previous post.
I still have to learn how to do that!

Harry55,
I was just thinking how physicaly, I wouldnt want to be that bouy, but in astral form, I would love to see a hurricane up close! I think they are beautiful, until they hit land and tear everything asunder.

titan,
I found your shear map to be quite cool! But I couldnt look it for too long because I felt as if I were being hypnotized.

XPhiles,

I believe that if enough people got together to pray and meditate, it would cause some slight weakening in Rita. Unfortunately, we are in a time where fear is a strong factor in peoples lives, as well as anger and despair. I think this would override any positive meditations that people send out.

Here is the latest report from accuweather.com:

Rita is an historic hurricane. Winds have been lowered to 150 mph with
gusts to 195 mph. This is the season's second catastrophic hurricane. As of 1:00 p.m. CDT, Rita was centered near 25.5 north and 89.2 west. This places Rita 430 miles southeast of Galveston, Texas. The minimum central pressure is up to 915 millibars (27.01 inches of mercury). This storm has been the third most intense Atlantic basin hurricane ever recorded. Rita is currently moving to the west-northwest at 9 mph. Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 85 miles, and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 185 miles from the center of circulation. The storm will fluctuate in strength over the next 24 hours.

The last part is quite telling IMO. I dont think anyone is sure what strenght she will be when she lands.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Something to ponder:

A strengtening storm means a more of a poleward progression.
Thus, poleward progression + weakness in the ridge = central Louisiana

www.ssd.noaa.gov...

DVORAK is back to Cat 5...btw

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Thank you very much to whomever was able to post that picture in my previous post. I still have to learn how to do that!

No problem.

Just right-click on the picture, go to Properties.
In there you'll see the URL, highlight it, then right-click, copy.
Then, in your post, put [ img ] then the url, then [ /img ] (only without the spaces between the brackets and the text)...

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPhiles
Does anyone think we can dissolve this hurricane with a mass collective conscience?
For now it seems everyone's conscience is on where Rita is going to hit.

Interesting hypothesis. Things did calm down a bit while everyone was asleep and not putting their thoughts out there. Like when you are watching a football game and they say "So-and-so has the record for most quarters/games without a..." that is the kiss of death for that stat. I wonder if it would be the same for the hurricane. And I wonder what that would mean for us as a species if we realized it was so.

It's all Quantum Physics, right?

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Hi

It also might carry on w and hit N Mexico - Matamoros is quite a large town as well - not sure what else is down there. Wonder if Mexico is doing anything vis a vis evacuation, preparation etc.? I think its going to be a big one - just hope it either weakens or goes through somewhere sparsely populated. Also, the rigs in the Gulf - they are probably designed to be able to withstand hurricane blasts , say for example, Cat 4, but what about the maximum gusts coupled with a storm swell? Not feeling very reassured at the moment about the ecological effects of one or two of these going over - not to mention the economic effects - think $5 a gallon is unreal, try coming to UK where we pay about 7 dollars equiv per gallon

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join