It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Rita ( Bad News For Gulf )

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
to quote a famous woman

*run away!!!!!*

Yep!

You have two days to get away from the coast people. Make the best of it. This is a superstorm.

BTW can someone give me the coles notes (or cliff notes) version of "eyewall cycling"?

Edit: Thanks Regenmacher

[edit on 9/21/2005 by Gools]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Here ya go Gools:

An eyewall replacement cycle occurs when the outer eyewall weakens the inner eyewall by robbing it of needed moisture and momentum.
www.aoml.noaa.gov...

Note: With an annular hurricane the ERC is less often or not at all, and not prone to fluctuations in intensity. Rita may become annular.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
OK, the hunter site is updated now, disregard my previous post!

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Here is the dvorak loop from the NHC. This is a tool that is used to measure storm intensity. Granted by the time some people get to see this the image will have changed.

www.ssd.noaa.gov...

Notice the big white area around the eye. That is extremely intense. The gray area embeded in that white is worse. As of 8pm central time today the gray area was expanding indicating the storm is still getting stronger. I can't wait to see the 11pm eastern (10pm central) time full advisory from the NHC. I'm guessing 180+ sustained.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Galveston Elevation 10 ft above sealevel.

Has a sea wall to protect the city.The initial segment of the Seawall was completed July 29, 1904.

This portion, made of concrete, was 3.3 miles long, 16 feet at its base, and 5 feet wide on top, and 17 feet high. The outer face of the Seawall was curved to carry waves upwards. Riprap was placed along the base facing the Gulf of Mexico to break up wave action. The initial segment was completed at a cost of almost $1.6 million. It proved its worth first during the hurricane of September 21, 1909. Its critical test came with the hurricane of August 16, 1915. The seawall dramatically lowered the loss of life and destruction.

A second segment was built between December 1904 and October 1905 to protect Fort Crockett. It received Congressional funding. This portion ran 4,935 feet from 39th to 53rd streets. The Seawall was extended westward to 61st Street in 1927 and 99th Street in 1963.

Based on Information found Here

Corpus Christy elevation 35 feet above sea level

The two mile sea wall running through the heart of the business district was constructed in such a way as to open the city to the Bay rather than to form a barricade. Steps lead down to the water and to the popular "T" head docks for pleasure boats. The waterfront was designed in the late 1930's by Guzon Borglum, sculptor of Mount Rushmore. He worked with the city at that time on the major landfill project that created Shoreline Boulevard and Corpus Christi Beach. His design joined the beauty of the miles of blue water with the cityscape. Here

Just some information I found that I wanted to share about the two cities in Ritas projected path. I sincerely pray they are ready and all will be safe.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Harry55]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harry55

Just some information I found that I wanted to share about the two cities in Ritas projected path. I sincerely pray they are ready and all will be safe.

Thanks for the data, Harry.

Galveston Texas

Catagory 4 Inundation Map

Catagory 5 Inundation Map

more here:
Hurricane Impact Report* for Galveston City Hall, Galveston, Texas

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
HURRICANE LOCAL STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LAKE CHARLES LA
720 PM CDT WED SEP 21 2005

...RITA NOW THE THIRD MOST INTENSE HURRICANE IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN ON RECORD.
RITA IS A POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE WITH SUSTAINED 165 MILE AN HOUR WINDS.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Regenmacher, great picks that show folks these cities are not prepared for Rita if she makes it there as projected. The past hurricanes they have expierianced do not compare with Rita. I do not think any of the cities this storm makes it to will withstand the storms force.

Cities have been there along the coast for generations and always rebuilt and I am sure they will this time. Lets hope for the best and just maybe it will happen.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Notice the dark gray in the central dense overcast on the southwest side of the eye? That is rare turf there. Its at the end of the IR scale.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I'm in awe of this storm, if it wasn't headed to populated land, I'd might enjoy watching this develop more, but right now I'm wishing Rita a quick death or at least a crippling blow so that she weakens.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Never seen that before. This is going to be one in all kind of ways for the record books. Good find.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
"Its at the end of the IR scale." Indy

So that means over 165mph? Dang, feel sorry for all those people who are gonna get hit. I'll take my blizzards any day over that.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Like somebody on another thread said, this thing is beginning to make Katrina look like a dust devil.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
lol metal, I was talking to some people at work to day and we were all saying the same thing... "A couple years ago I was wishing I lived on the gulf coast, now I think I'll take my blizzards and ice storms and love em anyday" basically summed up the conversations.

I have 5 friends living in Houston and they all have taken off for at least Austin. A guy I know in Dallas said they are expecting 65mph+ sustained winds there and that was before it hit Cat 5. This is just incredible that we would have 2 mega storms like this in the same season much less the same quarter century. Hopefully we're seeing the peak of the increased activity cycle here and it will get better after this year. If not, I shudder to think of what will happen in the near future.

We've had one worst case disaster this year in NO, anything more than that will be crippling to our infrastructure seeing as how one of our biggest gulf ports has already been devastated and all of the shipping moved to the Houston area. I just hope we don't have another natural disaster in concert or close after another mega hurricane. All this should just serve to remind us how insignificant we all are versus the power of mother nature. We, meaning the Earth and not just the US, have been EXTREMELY lucky in recoded history to avoid cataclysmic natural disasters but, I fear, our luck has run out and the Earth has stepped up to show us who is really the big boss dogg.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Looking at the images only... and how it has changed in the past 6 hours I am making my guess for 11pm eastern time advisory.

Pressure: Less than 895mb
Wind: 180mph or greater.

Don't be too shocked if the pressure is under 890mb.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Here are two more IR images to compare. You can see how its changing from each 30 minute shot.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harry55
Cities have been there along the coast for generations and always rebuilt and I am sure they will this time. Lets hope for the best and just maybe it will happen.

TY, as old as them seawalls are, it makes me wonder how much erosion damage there is.

Forecasted Storm Total Losses: $ 20.19 Billion was $ 5.5 billion this morn.

Looks like recon is done for the night...guesstimate dvorak time.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Indy, I tend to agree with you . I would really be suprised to find you wrong with all the perfect conditions Rita has to work with. I wish we had a direct line with the Hurricane Hunters. The suspence is killing me.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
As of 11pm its 175mph and 897mb. I was close anyway lol. Now I have to wait until the 2am advisory.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Do you know if this is estimated or actual readings from the hurricane hunters? Just curious....

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well there isn't a new vortex message posted with an 897 so it may very well be an estimate.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join