It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Rita ( Bad News For Gulf )

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dangermouse
BTW, the latest extrapolated flight winds are 185mph!

They're reporting substained winds of 143mph and max (gusts) of 185mph

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul

BTW, the latest extrapolated flight winds are 185mph!

They're reporting substained winds of 143mph and max (gusts) of 185mph

Yep, we're reading from the same site (hurricanehunters), I think you're the one that gave it to me during Katrina. Well at least the forcasters can hang their hat on something, they DID predict that this would be an anomalously busy hurricane season. Someone have data on the most Cat 5 hurricanes in one season?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The Hurricane hunters are reporting winds of 145 knots
....which is 165 mph....

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Someone have data on the most Cat 5 hurricanes in one season?

NOAA has some extensive archives:
www.nhc.noaa.gov...

Here's the most intense
www.nhc.noaa.gov...

Since record-keeping began, only three Category 5 storms have hit the U.S.: one that hit the Florida Keys in 1935; Hurricane Camille, which hit Mississippi in 1969; and Andrew, which devastated southern Florida in 1992.

source

[edit on 9/21/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
The Hurricane hunters are reporting winds of 145 knots
....which is 165 mph....

Not sure where you're getting your data.. but on their website, they're most recent report states 125kt windspeed (Line D) and a maximum windspeed of 161kt (Line F)

Here's how to read their reports:
www.hurricanehunters.com...

To convert Knots to MPH you multiply the kt by 1.15

10kt * 1.15 = 11.5 mph

[edit on 9/21/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

Only 1% of all Atlantic systems become annular hurricanes. WPAC typhoons develop lower pressures in general, so comparing them to the Atlantic basin cyclones may not provide a valid analogy.

Also that high pressure dome may not effect a cat 5 system, since Rita will virtually make her own atmospherics. As you may recall initially Katrina was forecasted to hit the FL panhandle due to ridging and we know how that went.

That being said, Rita has been moving slightly slower than forecast It does not appear as if the high is quite having the influence in accelerating the torm as was believed in previous forecasts. So, Rita will likely not be quite as far west before turning north as previous expected.

Forecasting is like crystalball reading, and mine gets foggy periodically.

So use the NHC for the official word, and not me.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

In light of the past 1.5-2 years I would say we are in circumstances far above normalcy. In light of my posted articles, the references were only to storms of the, shall we say extreme, variety. I could see that only comparing Cat. 5 storms would be valid. You are right thought, they are creators of their own rules.

LOL I agree with the NHC word as well, but I use a "Magic 8 Ball" personally!

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Hi all,
Here is yet another interestin list from the livescience web site.

www.livescience.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
My God
I can totally see this storm reaching pressure in the 800's, it will probably challenge Hurricane Gilbert or the unnamed storm, if it continues to intensify and pressure falls below 888mb.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Storm forces NASA to pass space station control to Russia
NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston was to close Wednesday due to the threat posed by Hurricane Rita and control of the International Space Station will be handed to Russia, the US agency said.

This might give the weatherwar pundits something to talk about.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
My God
I can totally see this storm reaching pressure in the 800's, it will probably challenge Hurricane Gilbert or the unnamed storm, if it continues to intensify and pressure falls below 888mb.

It's certainly possible.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I've never really looked into it before, but after just a few minutes of searching it appears that the highest accepted wind speed recording in the world is like 230 mph.

www.mountwashington.org...

That's pretty incredible, considering accuweather is reporting gusts in Rita of 200 mph.

That's some serious wind. I think everyone living in the danger area should SERIOUSLY consider replacing their old home with a concrete dome home.

www.monolithicdome.com...

Slap a set of steel shutters on the windows and a tornado could hump your roof for an entire afternoon without any noticeable structural damage.

Pretty freakin' cool if you ask me. Instead of rebuilding with the insurance money, can people just knock down their old homes and build these? Wouldn't that make a lot more sense?

If there are gusts of 200 mph, can houses even withstand that? What are homes along the gulf coast rated for?

If this thing lands as it is now, or stronger, will any residential homes in the area be able to withstand the force exherted on them?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I think this might be a watershed week in history. Think about it: WE find out that global warming is occuring on Mars just as a massive hurricane develops that might destroy yet another major city...

...I almost expect Bush to go on air tonight to tell us all that the sun is going through some crazy cycle and that all of this is going to get even worse.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
OK, latest flight is showing 904mb!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
URNT12 KNHC 212149
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 21/21:16:00Z
B. 24 deg 24 min N
086 deg 32 min W
C. 700 mb 2292 m
D. 55 kt
E. 137 deg 081 nm
F. 238 deg 145 kt
G. 141 deg 009 nm
H. 904 mb 5th strongest ever

Here's some projections that you might not have seen for hurricane Rita (AAL182005).

US Gulf of Mexico Oil and Gas Production Impact Estimate

Toxic Material Inventory

Airports and Port Facilities at risk

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
5pm models put the status at Cat 5. But looks like Galveston/Houston may dodge the worst of it.

Gulf of Mexico - AVN Color Enhanced Infrared Loop

This storm is 300 miles wide.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by psyopswatcher]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I'm just happy it's gonna go through Dallas. We need the rain so bad. My lawn is almost dead. The only thing i'm not looking forward to is a hike in gas prices. i heard somewhere, it might be $5.00 a gallon

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Darkelf, I wonder if you decided to evacuate. I really hope you did.

Just in case you are still thinking about what to do, please, read the following person´s advice.

see advice

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Regenmacher... here is the official NHC bulletin on the vortex message you posted.

WTNT63 KNHC 212146
TCUAT3
HURRICANE RITA TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
545 PM CDT WED SEP 21 2005

...RITA BECOMES THE FIFTH MOST INTENSE HURRICANE ON RECORD...

DROPSONDE DATA FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE UNIT RECONNAISSANCE
AIRCRAFT AT 416 PM CDT...2116Z...INDICATED THE CENTRAL PRESSURE HAS
FALLEN TO 904 MB...OR 26.69 INCHES. THIS MAKES RITA THE FIFTH MOST
INTENSE HURRICANE IN TERMS OF PRESSURE IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN.

RITA CURRENTLY RANKS BEHIND HURRICANE GILBERT IN 1988 WITH 888
MB...THE 1935 LABOR DAY HURRICANE WITH 892 MB...HURRICANE ALLEN IN
1980 WITH 899 MB...AND HURRICANE KATRINA LAST MONTH WITH 902 MB.

FORECASTER STEWART

$$

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Regenmacher... here is the official NHC bulletin on the vortex message you posted.

I tend take it for granted that everyone knows what I'm posting....thanks for clarifying it for the rest.

18Z NOGAPS brings Rita into Galveston

euler.atmos.colostate.edu...
met.psu.edu...

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Hey Indy! You and I were speculating whether Katrina would break Gilberts record, and obviously she didn't. It seems Rita has more favorable conditions for doing it, Katrina was closer to the coast when it was 902, Rita will have more time and water to build strength. What's your thought?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join