It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Rita ( Bad News For Gulf )

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   

DATA FROM RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT RITA HAS REACHED
CATEGORY FIVE INTENSITY WITH ESTIMATED MAXIMUM SUSTAINED SURFACE
WINDS OF 165 MPH. THIS WILL BE REFLECTED IN THE 4 PM CDT ADVISORY.

FORECASTER AVILA

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

Wow!

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Fox News reporting 136 oil pumping stations have been ordered shut down because of Rita. They supply 25% of the U.S. oil supply. This is not good news for us as we will be paying more for the already high price for fuel.

On a good note the Attorney General in Fla. has already issued fines for those taking advantage of consumers. Hope the other States follow suit.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Pressure dropped to 908mb, amazing.

Oil Holding most of recent $4 gain,down a dollar,.
NYMEX price reflecting Rita problems already. I hope.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
There is one bit of hope I found djohnsto77 . This comes from Accu Weather

We are estimating landfall between Galveston and Corpus Christi sometime between 6 p.m. on Friday and 6 a.m. Saturday. Ocean water analysis shows some cooler water in place about 300 miles off the Texas coast, then warmer water again right near the Texas coast in our primary projected landfall area, so the intensity forecast at landfall will be a real challenge.

We knew this Cat 5 was coming. Well it did.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Wow is right! Not only a Cat 5, but 10mph over the required to be so! This is incredible strengthening, and I don't think I've ever seen such a perfect storm... I wonder what the pressure is....??? I still don't see how it'll turn that much...still looks like a south Texas hit vs. Galveston....to me...

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harry55
We are estimating landfall between Galveston and Corpus Christi sometime between 6 p.m. on Friday and 6 a.m. Saturday.

This is what sucks most of all. How can anyone possibly sleep during something like this? Looks like a couple days without sleep are on the horizon.

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Isn't 908 what Katrina was, as the lowest???

On a good note the Attorney General in Fla. has already issued fines for those taking advantage of consumers. Hope the other States follow suit.

Charlie's a pretty good guy, nice fella too...
He used to be a Congressman a few years back.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Oil Holding most of recent $4 gain,down a dollar,.
NYMEX price reflecting Rita problems already. I hope.

I think that Oil Prices have Risen since Rita:

NEW YORK (AP) - Crude-oil prices rose more than $1 US a barrel Wednesday as traders braced for the possibility that hurricane Rita could smash into key oil facilities in Texas.

Light, sweet crude for November delivery rose $1.25 to $67.45 a barrel in afternoon trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange, after surging as high as $68.27 earlier Wednesday.

Heating oil jumped more than three cents to $2.045 a gallon, while gasoline surged nearly nine cents to $2.075 a gallon. Natural gas reached a new peak of $12.900 per 1,000 cubic feet before easing slightly to $12.85.

On London's International Petroleum Exchange, November Brent crude oil futures gained 97 cents to $65.17 a barrel.

National Post

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Katrinas lowest pressure was 904 mb.Hurricane Gilbert of 1988 was a Category Five hurricane at peak intensity and is the strongest Atlantic tropical cyclone on record with a minimum pressure of 888 mb. This one has plenty of time and warm water to do that. oooh...

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Harry55]

link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Isn't 908 what Katrina was, as the lowest???

I think someone here said it was 902 with 175 MPH winds, but at the rate Rita is going, she'll beat that.

link   
Hurricane Rita's rapid intensification cycle that began Tuesday afternoon continues. Top winds are up to 165 mph, now a category 5 hurricane. Further strengthening is possible as the atmosphere remains favorable for development over the next 24 hours.

weather.com

We are not the only ones saying it can go beyond a Cat 5..

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Even all the way in Tampa Bay, we just got an outer squall line of intense rain... Only lasted about 15 minutes...but almost TS strength in intensity, and we're WAY away from it!

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Here is another Animation of Rita Hurricane:

www.quehubo.com...

And the Predicted Path:

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hi All,

I too have been following the progress of Rita with www.accuweather.com. As of 4:12pm (eastern) she has a central pressure of 920 millibars, and her wind speed is 165mph.

I am in complete awe, as I thought last years hurricane season was something else!

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Yeah, so did I...we had many roll right through the area and all around it (I'm in Tampa Bay)... You still can't go a block without seeing at least one blown out sign, even a year later, hehe... We even flew to Rochester, NY to avoid one of the nastier ones, which later missed us almost entirely, hehe...but it was a strong Cat 4.....and them's the rules.

If I was in the center of the cone of this one, I'd be flying right now....

It'd kind of be nice to visit Niagra Falls again anyhoo.... Something tells me we'll end up doing that before this season is over, if this keeps up....

link   
Correct, Katrina was 902, the lowest recorded in the Gulf and the 4th lowest Altantic hurricane recorded. Who would have thought we might have another storm in the same season that might surpass it?

link   
there are many folks in my region that are giving that DGF (dont give a f***) attitude about the storm.

folks way older then me saying they have been here thru the 60s all the way up till today... and been thru all the major hurricanes that hit south tejas... and this is not scaring them off.

im out folks. Damn this crap. better safe then sorry.

a 3... sure ill drink a beer to that... but a 5. damn that.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by krossfyter]

[edit on 22-9-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Right now, as of 19:36:50Z the 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron is reporting a central vortex pressure of 914 mb. But they havent dropped a dropsonde so the number is being extrapolated from aircraft sensor information.

[edit on 9/21/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
BTW, the latest extrapolated flight winds are 185mph!

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

I think that Oil Prices have Risen since Rita:

It's down from yesterday's high and close still.
I rounded off a bit high.

Date:09/19/2005 Open=64.60 High=67.60 Low=64.60 Close=67.39

Closed at $66.80 today.

tfc-charts.w2d.com...

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join