It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how large is a warships armoury ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a simple question , but the wonders of google and my books have failed me

a freind needs the info for a writing project - and i confess i havnt got a clue

she ship types she is most interested in are , all wwii :

a u boat

a commerce raider [ q ship ]

a " pocket battleship "

all the suestions on scuttling charges , endurance and fuel i knew or could find easily , its the size of small arms armoury that is stumping me

thanks in advance to anyone who knows

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Obviously ships have different types of Armourys. A submarine would have a diffrent armoury than a battleship. Same with a commerce raider.
The main question to me would be how well the crews were trained to use the armoury they have. Obviously this varys with different navys in accordance to their operational doctrines.
As to small arms armoury...this is not spoken of much. Ships have armourys consisting of sidearms, rifles, machine guns etc. In the olde days when Shotguns had paper shells these weapons were not used as much as today where plactic shells are more resistant to the effects of weather.
Obviously the larger the ship the larger the armoury of small arms. The armoury of a submarine is not much bigger than one or two lockers. On a aircraft carrier it is a whole compartment. Ammunition would be stored there on a aircraft carrier but more would be stored in the weapons storage vaults where bombs and rockets are also stored.
Once again even in small arms..what is the ability and training levels on the sailors and marines to use this equipment. One of the roles of small arms on a ship is to repell boarders.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
On my submarine, we have two small arms lockers. These lockers contain 2 machineguns, 4 shotguns, 4 m-16's, and 20 9mm pistols.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
what boat are you on??

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Disregard that last question..I just thought it through .I already know.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I forgot the expandable batons that we carry...

And, when we run out of guns, we start arming ourselves with weapons of opportunity, i.e., knives, wrenches, axes and sledges.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
My personal armory is larger than that.

3 shotguns
24 handguns
8 rifles

You've got me on the machine guns, but if you take a semi-automatic Romanian Ak-47 clone and remove the, errr......on second thoughts never mind

top topics

join