It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Point Busters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I would like to leave this thread open (it's in chitchat so no points can be gained) for people to discuss the rise in drab discourse merely (and quite obviously) for the attainment of points. Please, please, keep the content as good as it has been for a long while.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
What the hell are you talking about now?

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 11:07 PM
link   
My opinions:

1. Chitchat topics carry few points, but can be good quality.

2. Conspiracy topics carry greater points, but do attract many posts (inquisitive, insulting, or other less than desired quality) without background knowledge. This would be true irrespective of any 'reward system'.

3. I tend to steer off topics where I have nothing to offer, or stand to learn nothing.

4. My greater concern is the HUGE number of reposts I am now seeing (the same topic up to eight times in three days). In these cases, there has been too little research to determine whether the thread ought to be started, and in some of these cases, the desire to create a points-attracting topic has outweighed the utility of the information that will be presented therein. It also makes it very hard for readers, who now have to search across many more threads than before in the same short time period to extract the useful information and discussion.

gg, could you please ascribe a points value to the above, as I think I will get maybe 2 points for it. Is that a fair thing? Does it matter?

[Edited on 8-9-2003 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   
MA, i'm strictly referring to content. When morons just start subjects about obviously repeated topics and pointless posts (outside of this forum) it becomes a game rather than a discussion board.

I was in no way referring to the Chit Chat forum, because, obviously, that's what it's here for.

[Edited on 8-9-2003 by goregrinder]

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Dunno! I am new here and I dont understand how the point system works. Please dont take this the wrong way, but I could give a hoot about points. I came to this forum/board to get informed, learn and perhaps contribute. I have participated in other forums, and still do, but this has to be one of the better ones around. Lots of information, some good some not so good, but it is fun and thats what I miss on some of the boards.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Are you refering to me? I did not make any posts for points. Some of my topics may seem strange.

top topics

join