It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You cant have or keep a gun here

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Personally I'd choose a .38 for home defense in an urban environment for the same reason they are carried in urban courthouses...the round is less prone to penetrate walls and stike unintended targets. An SKS for protection in any area except the open country is asking for a property damage or personal injury lawsuit from either hitting a person or an object, even a ricochet.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Here in Chicago, in the city, if you was born early enough to be able to get a hand gun permit you can have one. Is like after 1985 you cant get a permit.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
are you telling us that if you were born before 1985 you can legally carry a handgun? WTF?

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
After the US Supreme Court's descision that the police are under no obligation to protect anyone and the existance of terrorist cells in the US, many of the anti-gun arguements just dry up and blow away.

Gonzales vs Castle Rock

I would be interested in how a court would find a suit against a landlord who didn't allow the tennant every opportunity to protect themselves and their property.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Although the right to keep arms is the most important, property rights are close behind.

You keep a gun to protect your life and property, right?

If you don't have the right to say who can and can't do what on your privately owned property, then it isn't really yours, now is it?

And, of course, if it isn't yours, then you have no reason to own a gun to protect it.

So, if it not legal to stop people from entering property you own armed because of the 2nd, then you can no longer justify the a need for the second as you no longer own any property to protect.

Got it?

Thankfully here in Nevada there is state law that says if any person commits or attempts to commit a felony against you on your private property, regardless of the felony (and resisting arrest by a private person for trespassing is a felony) then you may legally shoot that person. The law says nothing about them having to pose a threat. So, all a property owner has to do is identify a person with a gun, tell him to leave, tell to put his hands behind his back if he will not leave, and shoot him if he doesn't put his hands behind his back. Kinda simplifies things.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
That's where I wouldn't rent anywhere unless I can have a gun. Our landlady says that nowadays it's hard to rent properties due to the economy. So you can potentially have some landlords by the tail.

We don't have anything in our lease forbidding weapons and my husband has a gun--which we keep where our son can't get to it.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
After the US Supreme Court's descision that the police are under no obligation to protect anyone and the existance of terrorist cells in the US, many of the anti-gun arguements just dry up and blow away.

Gonzales vs Castle Rock

I would be interested in how a court would find a suit against a landlord who didn't allow the tennant every opportunity to protect themselves and their property.

I thought their motto was 'Protect and Serve' ? Or is that just Dragnet speak?
Guess they'd rather just pay them to eat donuts and harass drivers....

This is definitely a 'sticky wicket'. I see both sides of the issue clearly.
I own a few guns, and I rent. I also plan to be a landlord soon.
All I can say is no landlord has anything to fear from me UNLESS he tries to forcibly enter my residence (or tell me I can't keep my guns on the premesis ).
If I rent to someone, I'll at least contact local law enforcement and see what kind of criminal record they have (if possible). I expect my landlord to do the same. But law or no law, he'd best not try to move my gun safe.
It looks to me like, once it is rented, the property then in effect becomes that of the renter, until he moves.
Banjo

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by scienceguy94
are you telling us that if you were born before 1985 you can legally carry a handgun? WTF?

"But not if I live in Chicago—at least, not if I want to obey the law.

Unfortunately, some of Chicago’s leaders apparently still suffer from gun-phobia. That’s why they’re so upset that John Birch, the head of Concealed Carry, Inc., in Oak Brook, is defying the city’s 20-year ban on handguns by awarding one handgun each month to a Chicago resident who demonstrates that he or she has a clean background, is trained in firearm use, and needs it for personal protection."

www.jhhuebert.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Because it is our right to own a weapon (guns), and it is an infringement on that constitutional right.

You have no right to bring a gun onto my, or anyone elses, property. The constitution provides for well organized militias, not that you can go anywhere and everywhere with a gun.

ah, see it was settled.

[edit on 5-10-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
You have no right to bring a gun onto my, or anyone elses, property. The constitution provides for well organized militias, not that you can go anywhere and everywhere with a gun.

ah, see it was settled.

[edit on 5-10-2005 by Nygdan]

If I am paying you rent for the use of that property then I have certain rights as well. If I am not then you are of course correct.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I had just exited my car in the parking area of my apartment complex. It was about 3:30AM, and I had just gotten of work. As I headed towards my home I noticeid a stranger in front of me who was peering into empty cars. As I approached him, he finally noticied me. He immediately turned and walked in the same direction I had to go. About 30 feet seperated us. He turned a corner of the building that I couldn't see around, but I had to go in the same direction.

I cautiously turned the corner, and he was standing there on the sidewalk waiting for me. He asked me if I was following him. I said that no, I wasn't following him, I lived here and was going home. He replied that it was good that I wasn't following him, because people who did that wound up dead. After saying this he reached into his inner coat pocket. I immediately raised the .357 pistol that I had been carrying in my hand since seeing this strange guy, and aimed for the center of his chest. I told him to withdraw his hand, and if anything came out BUT his hand I would shoot and kill him right there, without hestitation.

He very slowly pulled his hand out of his pocket and with an evil, unafraid smile, told me that he would surely kill me someday. Then he walked away into the darkness. I waited until I was sure he was gone and then ran to my apartment. I called the Police and filled out a police report. I had a valid carry permit issued in my state, but I knew the complex manager was very anti-gun. The next day I informed her about the incident, and we looked at the surveilance camera footage from that previous night. She gasped when she saw me point my weapon at the man, and was none to pleased about it.

Then we watched as I went to my apartment to call the Police. She was able to pull up recorded footage from other cameras and charted this guys progress away from me. Both our eyes went wide when we saw him reach into his coat, pull out a butcher knife and throw it in a nearby dumpster. He must have been afraid that the Police would pick him up because of the incident. That really shook me to see that. Of course the Police could not find him. The complex manager wasn't upset about my gun after that, and even asked me some questions about shooting.

I remain convinced to this day that if I wouldn't have had my gun on me, I probably would have been killed, or at least severley injured. I have never killed another human, nor do I want to... but having that gun was the difference between life and death. It will never leave my side.

[edit on 10/5/2005 by URBAN ASSAULT]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by URBAN ASSAULT
I remain convinced to this day that if I wouldn't have had my gun on me, I probably would have been killed, or at least severley injured. I have never killed another human, nor do I want to... but having that gun was the difference between life and death. It will never leave my side.

This is not the 1940s of our parents day when people respected rights, life, and other people's property. Today is the day of microwave generation where every wet behind the ear kid thinks we owe them a living, and if we don't give it to them they will steal it. On top of that drugs are so rampant that the junkies would kil for the next fix. I say arm every law abiding citizen in America, force them to get a conceal carry permit, and let's protect ourselves and our property the way the framers of our constitution meant for us to do.
Banjo

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I would really like to keep a gun... to kill somebody who took my phone. But perhaps he is trying to kill me for taking his money... or his victim's money? Who knows.. he knows!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join