It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Musharraf: Get Yourself Raped And Go To Canada

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Pakistans President Pervez Musharraf has made a remark which has caused outrage all over the world. He said: "A lot of people say if you want to go abroad and get a visa for Canada or citizenship and be a millionaire, get yourself raped". World leaders including Paul Martin have already condemned the remarks. Amnesty International demands a public apology.

Photo: from BBC

Scotsman: Musharraf sparks outrage with 'callous' rape remark

17 Sep 2005

OUTRAGE mounted in Pakistan yesterday over President Pervez Musharraf's comment that many Pakistanis felt that crying rape was an easy way to make money and move abroad. World leaders including Canadian prime minister Paul Martin have already condemned the remarks made by Mr Musharraf, who is in the United States having addressed the UN General Assembly earlier this week.

Mr Musharraf told the Washington Post that Pakistan should not be singled out on rape issues as other countries had the same problems. "You must understand the environment in Pakistan ... This has become a money-making concern. A lot of people say if you want to go abroad and get a visa for Canada or citizenship and be a millionaire, get yourself raped," the Post quoted Mr Musharraf as saying.

Amnesty International said: "This callous and insulting statement requires a public apology from President Musharraf to the women of Pakistan and especially to victims of rape."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Musharraf should have kept his big fat mouth shut. Now he must apologise and hope that people will forget. hah. How can they ever forget this? This remark will now forever be associated with Musharraf.

Related Links:
Amnesty International USA: Pres. Musharraf should apologize
BBC: Musharraf: 'no need to apologise'
Arab News: Musharraf Faces Flak Over Rape Remarks
CBC News: Pakistan President's comments: cry rape and go to Canada, are condemned
Telegraph: Rape claim condemned
Sydney Morning Herald: Pakistan leader's rape comments offend
The Times Of India: Musharraf denies rape remark

Musharraf: 'No need to apologise'
(BBC)

[edit on 2006/4/26 by Hellmutt]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
well people seem to forget how he got into power,so they will soon forget this.
how could a leader of a country say something like that?

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I'm sorry...but I am speechless at this leaders inane comment.

Why he would say this is beyond me...it sounds like the ravings of a madman, imo.

You'd think it was easy as pie to become a millionaire in Canada...well, I've been playing the lotteries for 20 years and I still haven't broken even.

Perhaps he's angry because so many of his countrymen have left Pakistan to come to Canada with their families in the hope of living a sane peaceful life.

yea...that's gotta be it...

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I'd like to suggest to my fellow ATS Members it must have been a slight-of-tongue, however Musharraf is far too intelligent for that, so I'll suggest he's just plain wrong.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Why doesn't the US/west quit at this poker game calle "pakistan" while it is ahead..

I tell you, after Vietnam and IRaq, Pakistan is the USA's next biggest foreign policy botch-up..
N-Proliferation to states like NK and Iran, blatant abuse of democracy(he was supp to step down in 04'), breeding of terrorism..the list is endless..

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
So if I get raped, I have to move to Canada? I don't think I want to get raped then...

Becoming a millionaire sounds good though

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
So if I get raped, I have to move to Canada? I don't think I want to get raped then...

Becoming a millionaire sounds good though

I've been trying to get raped for over 30 years, seems like I'll become a millionaire first. DAMN.

jra

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Go to Canada and become a millionaire? Well heck, i'm already here. Where's my money?

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I've been trying to get raped for over 30 years, seems like I'll become a millionaire first. DAMN.

Seriously, how do people who make such stupid statements become world leaders, whether elected or not?

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
You plot a coup..

and execute it..

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The level of public discourse is at the level of an IQ of 70 and below, while the industrial-Gulag everywhere has an IQ of 190 to apply to the stupid public. That IQ is highly specialized however in making money at all costs from that general public. It is no wonder applied knowledge has become applied stupidity.

[edit on 18-9-2005 by SkipShipman]

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
i've seen him on the news this morning, he denied saying it.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Though it's incredibly ill-advised and insensitive, it's not as if he's making a suggestion...rather, he's commenting on what other people think (if he said it at all).

A lot of people say if you want to go abroad and get a visa for Canada or citizenship and be a millionaire, get yourself raped

Is he being faulted because he actually said it, or because people are mistakenly thinking he suggested or initiated the idea itself?

[edit on 18-9-2005 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
All do respect. Could Canada be that far away from your plight? Seems to me djohnsto77, you could not be all that sure that best things are or are not farther away from your present perch? But I still respect you !

Dallas

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
Though it's incredibly ill-advised and insensitive, it's not as if he's making a suggestion...rather, he's commenting on what other people think (if he said it at all).

A lot of people say if you want to go abroad and get a visa for Canada or citizenship and be a millionaire, get yourself raped

Is he being faulted because he actually said it, or because people are mistakenly thinking he suggested or initiated the idea itself?

[edit on 18-9-2005 by Tinkleflower]

Hi Tinkleflower,

Very good points. Why I would fault him is that street talk rumors really have no place in a speech to the rest of the world who is currently looking at the reports of systematic rape tactics taking place in your country.

His words - even though they were not stated as his own, but as heresay repeated - are the equivalent of a defendent in a rape case saying "You should have seen how she was dressed...she was asking for it."

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
people can be so shallow sometimes! maybe we should just line the earth's crust with egg shells so we can have a visual of what society is coming to!

if someone posited that america breeds terrorism due to the terror cells that exist here and there, one would rightfully respond by saying: "it has been said that if you hate the western world, you should move to saudi arabia and start a terrorist organization."

ALL THE GUY DID WAS POINT OUT THAT RAPES HAPPEN IN THE WEST and that his country is not alone in it's problems. further, that some people ALLOW it to happen to themselves... simply for their own selfish gain.

yes, it was a tough remark to hear, but is it FALSE??????

society sooner excuses rapists for their actions if they are famous than listens to a realistic statement of fact. so damn shallow and sickening!!!

flame all you'd like, i promise no response.
daved

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Just one question.
Why do people still refer to Musharraf as president?
He is a dictator probaly another Saddam in the making.
Dose the US really want to invade Pakistan in 20 years?
What is going to take to wake people up?
A reality tv show?
:pick up tv remote flicks thou the channels.:
"When good regimes go bad only on Fox central."
:puts remote down open bag of popcorn watchs Fox.:

[edit on 19-9-2005 by xpert11]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I have a silly question.

Assuming he actually said it...what was he talking about? I assume there's some event he's referring to.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Could always be worse.....could end up in the U.S.

brill

[edit on 19-9-2005 by brill]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
I have a silly question.

Assuming he actually said it...what was he talking about? I assume there's some event he's referring to.

Yeah I'm kind of scratching my head too. How do those that get raped in Pakistan get a Canadian visa and a million bucks? Is the penalty for rape a big fat fine from the raper to the rapee? I'm confused.

I actually find the comment rather amusing even though it's confusing. Perhaps someone can explain it to me in a calm rational manner?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join