It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we, the American people, partially to blame for disasters in our country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Before I start, I wanna say that I am in no way saying that the victims of Hurricane Katrina are to blame. I thought I'd clear that up so that people don't go nuts.

Anyway, we in America have always had a government that is "By the people, for the people". We elect our officials, and vote on new bills and such. So, if a person knew that a disaster was coming but did nothing about it, would they be partially responsible for not taking action?

I guess, though, with the size that our government and country is at now, it would be pretty damned hard for any one person to make a difference. It's just a thought I've been having though.

Discuss?

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   

as posted by Herman
So, if a person knew that a disaster was coming but did nothing about it, would they be partially responsible for not taking action?

Personally, the usage of the word "person" in the framework of a disaster of national importance or consequence is beyond me in it's singular use.
Furthermore, the usage of "disaster" needs to be clarified or defined in the way you are utilizing it [ie: disaster implying natural, man-made, etc].

Why?
Because in virtually all cases of a disaster [natural] of national importance and consequence, more than one person is partially responsible, since more than one person knows that the disaster may occur or is impending.

Those partially responsible can run from the very top down to the very bottom, from the POTUS to the citizen that failed to heed evacuation warnings, etc.

seekerof

[edit on 17-9-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I think many, if not most, individual Americans could use a refresher course in taking responsiblity for their actions.
Whether it's being prepared with 3-5 days of food and water or voting responsbly, too many of us want to pass the buck or look elsewhere for help. Or, we want to sue the socks off others.

Collectively, sure I guess we are all to blame to some extent.
But stepping up and taking responsiblility for ourselves would go a long way to bettering the country. IMHO

join