It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Train Derailment Kills One, Injures Many More

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
A derailment of a commuter train in Chicago this morning has killed one person and seriously injured many of the hundred or so passengers. The cause of the derailment is still unknown at this time. Ladders had to be used by firefighters at the scene to reach the elevated track.

www.cnn.com
CHICAGO (AP) -- At least one person was killed and dozens were injured after a commuter train derailed Saturday on Chicago's South Side, officials said.

The train traveling from Joliet was carrying between 75 to 100 people, said Metra spokesman Tom Miller. The death was confirmed by the Cook County medical examiner's office.

Dozens of emergency vehicles and a helicopter were at the scene of the derailment, which took place around 8:36 a.m., said police spokeswoman Laura Kubiak.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although I'm sure this probably was not related to terrorism in any way particularly since it happened on a Saturday, it's still interesting to realize that the moment I saw this story, I immediately thought of the terrorism angle.

I'm also sure it must have been quite terrifying for the passengers especially after reading what the one passenger is quoted as saying in this article. I also wonder how many more might have been hurt or even killed had this had occurred on a weekday.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by asala]

join