It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now that private sector space travel has become an emerging reality...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
To what lengths could one speculate that NASA/US govt. would go to keep said travel away from the moon? Such a flight would either confirm the achievements of the Apollo program or expose much speculated fraud. G'head, I'm wearing my Nomex underpants

[edit on 17-9-2005 by TimeOut]

MOD EDIT: Just removing the Blue Light from the title. Save that one for breaking news and whatnot.

[edit on 9/17/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Depends what's out there. If they are aware of "alien artifacts" on the far side of the moon for example, you can be sure they won't let anyone send anything that could detect them, even if its just a satellite that orbits and takes pictures. I don't think they'd be worried about the Apollo missions being proven false since its obvious they did happen.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by asawa I don't think they'd be worried about the Apollo missions being proven false since its obvious they did happen.

Perhaps not the best example of "why" that I could have used. I can't help but wonder how they feel about the proposed Chinese mission to the moon.

[edit on 17-9-2005 by TimeOut]

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
If there is anything "interesting" there (the kind of interesting that needs to be kept secret from the public... for our own good of course...), then they'd have good reason to be worried about the Chinese's plans to go there. Can't let the other guy get the artifacts first and suddenly acquire a massive jump in scientific knowledge. And if there are no known artifacts, then its all just a big game.

Personally I think the US has gone back to the moon many times using ships built from all that money going into those black projects. Large black triangle ships that don't travel by expelling matter out one side. Perhaps even some bases set up there. I can't prove it, and you'll never hear it officially announced. But I have trouble imagining 50+ years of trilliions of dollars (or whatever the $ is) diverted to black projects, all with nothing advanced like this to show for it. If we didn't get some sort of advanced space travel out of the deal, then I'm most disappointed in all the waste of money and I want my money back.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TimeOut
To what lengths could one speculate that NASA/US govt. would go to keep said travel away from the moon?

I highly doubt they would. Why? Because when you get down to it, NASA and the US gov't are controlled by Private interests through lobbist tactics.

They will encorage it wholeheartedly as soon as it becomes clear that the Private start-ups can actually get to the moon safely and more importantly cheaply.

Only roadblock is the FCC and their antiquated rules regarding space-worthy vehicles. It was setup for Airtraffic not Space Traffic and it needs to be updated for the 21st century. Only thing I see this industry being held up by is as per usuall buerocracy...

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I'm sure they will allow private space flights to the Moon.

By the way, the Russians also plan to go to the Moon around the same time as the Chinese do (maybe a joint mission?).

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Only roadblock is the FCC and their antiquated rules regarding space-worthy vehicles. It was setup for Airtraffic not Space Traffic and it needs to be updated for the 21st century. Only thing I see this industry being held up by is as per usuall buerocracy...

I know you are Canadian, but it's the FAA you're thinking of.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83

Doh

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Doh

I know it's confussing sometimes FAA, FCC etc.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Doh

I know it's confussing sometimes FAA, FCC etc.

Actually, it's the AST (Asociate Adminstrator for Commercial Space Transportation) that's in charge of private and commercial spacecraft and launches/operations. True, the AST is a division of the FAA, but as noted elsewhere, the FAA's jurisdiction only covers Aircraft in US airspace.

Furthermore, the AST only has jurisdiction over U.S. launched and/or operated spacecraft.

So, if you're say...Indonesian, Fire those rockets and Bang! Zoom! To the Moon, Alice!

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Bhadhidar]

new topics

top topics

join