It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuba Far More Prepared for Hurricanes than USA. Shame.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
less than 2 months ago, cuba was able to move 1.7 million people on short notice.

the whole civil defense is embedded in the community to begin with. people know ahead of time where they are to go.

they come to your door and knock, and tell you, evacuation is coming, then they come and tell you, now.

if no electricity, they have runners who communicate from a headquarters to central locations what is to be done.

the country's leaders go on TV and take charge. but not only the leaders are speaking. the TV weatherpeople are knowledgeable. and the population is well educated about hurricanes.

they not only evacuate. it's arranged beforehand where they will go, who has family where. not only pickup is organized, delivery of people is organized.

merely sticking them in a stadium is unthinkable. shelters all have medical personnel, from the neighborhood. they have family doctors in cuba (!), who evacuate together with the neighborhood, and already know who, for example, needs insulin.

Rest of Article

Be sure to follow the link to the BBC backing this up. I heard this on NPR as well.

Pathetic. I guess communism has it's advantages.

[edit on 17-9-2005 by opensecret1150]

cjf

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
If you consider the failed pathetic government of the state of Louisiana as a representation of the entire historical United States, such a leap is easy. (especially given the ability to speak retroactively)

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Islands in the Caribbean are more susceptible to the weather that is reason enough to be prepared for the hurricanes.

I am from PR and we do not build the same way we built in the US houses are made of cement blocks with flat roofs also cement.

Is a big differences on construction.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
You have a good point, but you know that certain detractors will respond to this thread with the usual rhetoric, trying to discredit it. Everything from it was the victims fault for not getting out of NO to finger pointing at the mayor and the governor is likely to be heard. We know better, but you know some folks don't ask questions, don't want answers, and just want to bury the truth.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Cuba has hit by a super strong hurricane Dennis this year, it was a little stronger than Katrina when it made landfall. From the reports I saw they did very well, with a very minimal loss of life. I suppose this proves their hurricane plan is a good one.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Respectfully -- nonsense. Cuba would be a slaughtered Cuban Cow. Of all places heavely populated Cuba would be the worst and most trajic of most any Country under a full-breeze Hurricane (level 4-5)I feel..

Dallas

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

Respectfully -- nonsense. Cuba would be a slaughtered Cuban Cow. Of all places heavely populated Cuba would be the worst and most trajic of most any Country under a full-breeze Hurricane (level 4-5)I feel..

Dallas

I am sorry, but you are 100% wrong. Your statement seems to be based on wishful thinking: namely that a third-world country like Cuba could not be better prepared than than the mighty USA. In fact Hurricane Dennis was a category 4. Only 16 deaths. Do the math. The truth hurts. The USA is run by people who are corrupt or incompetent, or both, or worse.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Islands in the Caribbean are more susceptible to the weather that is reason enough to be prepared for the hurricanes.

I am from PR and we do not build the same way we built in the US houses are made of cement blocks with flat roofs also cement.

Is a big differences on construction.

Granted, the construction has much to do with less damage.

When I look at a map of the area that hurricanes pass over on their way to the US, some of those islands look so tiny that it seems they could be totally flooded by a decent size wave. It's amazing that anyone survives at all.

they come to your door and knock, and tell you, evacuation is coming, then they come and tell you, now.

Of course, in Cuba, people have a tendency to obey an edict from the authorities, without question. Not so here in the US, as we saw in NOLA.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

Dallas

Like I said, Dennis was stonger than Katrina was at landfall and Cuba faired quite well. Most Carribean Islands are much more prepared and know what to do when a major hurricane threatens. And they build their houses to withstand the winds.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Fidel Castro is using an unused underground system that was built during the Cuban missile crisis. Its a tunnel system.
I am surprised myself that he lets everyone use it.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I have submitted this as a:

News Article

You can vote yea or nea for this to become an ATSNN story on the front page.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Actually one of the reasons that we don't get waves that can swallow the islands is due to the fact that the Caribbean is a chain of underground mountains, the Islands are the tips, so flooding is usually fast and over after the hurricanes.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I have submitted this as a:

News Article

You can vote yea or nea for this to become an ATSNN story on the front page.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well that stands to reason, Cuba has had at least 10 times the practice!

I would think all Caribbean Islands have a better knowledge on how to prepare for tropical stomes, especially the Leewards.

So tell me something useful, is Cuban cane organic or how about the cigars?

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
thanks to the organs for giving us organs.

I think these crops are organic- when does organic stop being organic

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Of course, in Cuba, people have a tendency to obey an edict from the authorities, without question. Not so here in the US, as we saw in NOLA.

You mean those who handed over their guns to armed soldiers?

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Let me tell you that when a hurricane destroys property in Cuba NOW, there is NO insurance company going to assess the damage, and help you rebuild.
Your one and only option is to try to find old lumber and go to the nearest banana tree for leaves and git to work.

Those people have it real rough down there. I know.
So if you think you have it rough here,
think again!

Cubans arent "obedient" they just want to save their bacon, you know?

[edit on 22-9-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Let me tell you that when a hurricane destroys property in Cuba NOW, there is NO insurance company going to assess the damage, and help you rebuild.
Your one and only option is to try to find old lumber and go to the nearest banana tree for leaves and git to work.

Those people have it real rough down there. I know.
So if you think you have it rough here,
think again!

Cubans arent "obedient" they just want to save their bacon, you know?

[edit on 22-9-2005 by dgtempe]

Well, I guess that was my point: a country with [ ] resources and they seem better prepared than us!

I must say Rita seems to be provoking an entirely different response.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Also take into account most have no cars....and those who do are running 1949 Buicks both as land transportation and amphibious too.

Its either the bus (yes, they still have old klunker buses) or its by foot.

The media? Run by Castro and so is everything else. They only hear what he wants them to know. "Hurricane coming, you know what to do"

Its so much simpler ...

top topics

join