It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violence on our Screens..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
School shootings have many people wondering what is making American kids so violent. Some people blame the violent television shows that children watch. They're calling on Congress to limit violent TV shows when kids are likely to be watching. But TV producers think that this government interference violates the First Amendment and people's right to choose for themselves what to watch on TV.What do you think?

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Violence on television, guns in the hands of children, school shootings.

Violence on television, no guns in the hands of children, no school shootings.

No violence on television, no guns in the hands of children, not an experimental model that's going to be tested in that country any time soon.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I think that's horse #, tv/movie violence reflects the violence that is active in the world, not the other way around.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I dont no ...I think it makes kids more curious...i would not blame it all on tv/movies but i do think it has a kind of influence....

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Some japanese films are the most violent I've ever seen but there is little violence there.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
Some japanese films are the most violent I've ever seen but there is little violence there.

Thats true....The Japanese have far more sex and violence on tv than we do, yet their crime rate is much lower. Maybe it's time to stop blaming tv and slapping kids on the wrist. I think a big reason many commit crimes is that they don't fear the punishment they will recieve.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 01:47 PM
link   
If my mind serves me right, then I've been watching 'bad' movies and playing video games since the age of 4. Hey, look at me (maybe not :lol
..I'm not a criminal. I feel hostile at times, but I have never resorted to violence. I think these violent forms of entertainment promote just the opposite. In my case, they are a release..a break. But, someone always places the blame.

"Society has traditionally always tried to find scapegoats for its problems. Well, here I am.." --Marilyn Manson

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hillbilly

Originally posted by Colonel

Thats true....The Japanese have far more sex and violence on tv than we do, yet their crime rate is much lower. Maybe it's time to stop blaming tv and slapping kids on the wrist. I think a big reason many commit crimes is that they don't fear the punishment they will recieve.

just some time ago i saw a document about japanese child killers, and there were alot. some guy took a littler kid in to the nearby woods, chopped his head off and hanged it in front of the school. and they got some weird ninja motorcyckle gangs that beat innocent people.

from what i got from that document, the japanese got alot of violence in their youths...

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 02:01 PM
link   
two words: personal accountability. TV, movies, and videogames don't choose to pick up a gun and start shooting, the kid does. it's up to the parents to teach their children that what's seen on TV is not real and is not to be imitated, to limit their access to violent entertainment if the parent feels the child is not mature enough to handle it, and to teach the child that the child is responsible for his/her own actions and will be held responsible for them. Also, in the case of a disturbed child, the parent really should notice the abnormal behavior and get the child help before he/she decides to shoot classmates.
yeah, that's a lot of work. it's supposed to be. kids aren't puppies or goldfish. for the parents who refuse to do those things, and land up with a child that does something stupid, they have absolutely no right to sue entertainment companies. entertainment is not there to be a substitute parent, it's there to entertain.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Sorry John you are wrong.
I did a study on TV violence long ago at university. from what I remember here were the main points..

TV leads society. So if something is modeled on TV by "heros" then that is reflected back into society by the teenagers.

(A good example are those 2 car racing movies in the last couple of years 2hot 2 run??? (name forget) They produced many copy cat car races and people doing up their vehicles.)

TV violence DOES lead to more violent attitudes by teenagers. This rule is undesputable. In 1973? a massive govt based study was released in America which confirmed that.

The only defence that TV executives have is to critisize the methodology of any surveys that report that fact. So when this annual debate riases its head the TV says "The survey was flawed ... " and seek to discredit the results through that.

Originally posted by John Nada
I think that's horse #, tv/movie violence reflects the violence that is active in the world, not the other way around.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 08:03 PM
link   
in the movie deuxes wild (think thats how its spelled) the local kids send a wheelbarrow full of cinder blocks off a roof to send a message to the drug dealers trying to move in which is "stay away"
i havent seen anybody follow this example. i dont mean dropping cinder blocks but people as a whole generally say yes to drugs even though the movies and tv always depict the drug dealers and users getting messed up in the end.
point is people see what they want, and will do what they want. violence isnt something new that tv had introduced to the public. yes we have become desensitized a bit but thats the world we grow up in. i guess people who dont get influenced by tv say, people dont get influenced becausde THEY havent gotten influenced. netchicken, you say you did a study and no one can disprove you, because you worked bassed on facts. but i still think it greatly depends upon the individual. everyone is so quick to place blame. nobody wants to take responsibility anymore.if you can blame tv, why not blame the parents? or the friends, schools, the united states government, or the pope? the list can go on. everyone has an opinion that offends somebody else its just tv is viewed by a many number of people and nobody really gets hurt when you blame tv, its an inadimate object.
a comment was made about the movie to fast to furious saying more kids hooked up their cars and raced. im in the age group that this movie was geared for but as far as i can remeber growing up the older kids in the neighborhood would race all over and the little influential children like me saw this and liked it. yet i still dont race. even though i had child hood influences and the movies now. its all the people or person involved decision. and if people cant control themselves maybe its time this country isnt free anymore.
(this last statement was sarcastic. since its hard to use sarcasm through words ill just tell you all so nobody gets the wrong idea :roll

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This was the famous one that answered the question.....

profiles.nlm.nih.gov...
"Television and Growing Up: The Impact of Televised Violence" (1972 ) Surgeon Generals Scientific Advisory Committee on Television and Social Behavior (Washington, DC Government Printing Office, 1972) One of the most famous studies on violence and behavior.

www.limitv.org...

As early as the 1950s, �60s, and 70s, the correlation between TV violence and aggressive and violent behavior in children was documented. In 1972, a U.S. Surgeon�s General�s committee released a six-volume report, Scientific Advisory Report on Television and Social Behavior, which concluded that viewing TV violence has serious consequences for children, making a child more willing to respond with aggression in a conflict situation, more willing to harm others, and more aggressive in his or her play.

Appendix III of the report, "Television and Growing Up: The Impact of Televised Violence", concludes the following:

"The relation of third-grade television habits to later behavior now appears even more impressive. Not only is the violence of programs preferred in third grade related to peer-rated aggression in the third grade and ten years later, but it is also related positively to self-discipline and anti-social behavior ten years later on." (Appendix. III, p. 51)

[Edited on 9-9-2003 by Netchicken]

[Edited on 9-9-2003 by Netchicken]

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 09:20 PM
link   
"Let's see, the kid was beaten by his parents, bullied by bullies, had a mental defect, was made fun of by the ladies, and listened to Marylin Manson. It is Marylin Manson's fault!!!!!"

"Let's see, grew up with a crack whore for a mother, daddy in jail after a drug bust gone bad, dropped out of school and joined a gang, and listens to rap. Rap is the reason he does drugs and is a criminal!" People like NC and the other dolts out there blaming everything but the problem.

Well, now that I've made my view known, I'll get back to Blue Shift. Then will probably play Opposing force followed up by a little Counter-Strike online.(anyone recognize those names?)

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Violence on television, guns in the hands of children, school shootings.

Violence on television, no guns in the hands of children, no school shootings.

No violence on television, no guns in the hands of children, not an experimental model that's going to be tested in that country any time soon.

Reminds me of the old SNL skit on the news "Violins on Television... LOL Gilda Radner was a genious.

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Well, I have to say, a few years ago when the Power Rangers came out, kids really started kicking each others asses!!

I mean really hitting eachother, my mother confirmed this a hundred times... (works with little kids)

She sometimes dared to say they were almost beating eachother to death !

Choosing wich power ranger each one wanted to be caused allready bumps and blue eyes.....

TV stuffs your kid too much with bad thoughts Imho

top topics

join