It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.C. Homeless Protest Katrina Victims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The capital's homeless people are becoming disgruntled at the bounty of free aid given out to the Katrina victims. Advocates are saying that the homeless have noticed and with it is a growing tide of resentment. The crisis of the poor has always existed and it doesn't take a hurricane to see it.

www.washingtonpost.com
"Local homeless people are saying, 'Nobody cares about us -- we were here all the time,' " said Imagene Stewart, who has 17 homeless families from the area at her House of Imagene in Northwest Washington. "For Katrina people, they find money. We've been out here begging for years."

An estimated 15,000 homeless people live in the Washington region, a number that has been growing by about 6 percent a year, said Terry Lynch, executive director of the Downtown Cluster of Congregations. Major increases in housing and rental costs have come when funding for anti-poverty programs is tighter than ever, he said. "We are not that dissimilar from a New Orleans in terms of having that entrenched poverty," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So my questions are how long before the "Katrina Giving Fad" wears off and it's back to ignoring the plight of the poor? Do we really know what the priorities are in this war driven economy? Is it all just a short-lived dog and pony show and will soon be a fleeting memory as the next disaster rolls upon the media stage?

The tsunami catastrophe has virtually faded off the radar screen and will D.C actually follow through with its big budget rebuilding plans? I doubt it, unless there are a lot of corporate strings attached.

Related News Links:
www.americanchronicle.com
www.wjla.com

[edit on 16-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

[edit on 27-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I have already suggessted to our Mayor, in my town, that the "prepped" areas
that WERE to be used for Katrina Vitctims (nobody ever came).
Could be used as a homeless shelter..
I suggest everyone, from all towns that have a similar situation, do the same..

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
As haunted and depraved as it is, New Orleans is (was) a much beloved city.

No, this will not be short-lived. I've heard the devastation covers 90,000 square miles, but the city itself will take the spot light for a long time coming.

Tis a shame such a disaster has to bring home the other sad aspects of living where homelessness has been practically ignored as the rest of the nation stuggles with the true evils of a war economy.

In the northern states, we'll be paying the price this winter with fuel bills out of sight, as even apartment dwellers will feel the pinch.

Pinch? Now there's an understatement...

Landlords consider cold-hearted action

The Issue: Some city landlords are considering evicting tenants this winter in order to save money on heating oil.

Now faced with skyrocketing fuel-oil prices, some of them actually are thinking about throwing their tenants out into the cold this winter in order to save money.

By evicting their tenants, they can close their buildings and reduce heating costs, said Richard K. Heffner, presi-dent of the Real Estate Investors Association of Reading and Berks County.

Heffner said that with the price of fuel oil double what it was last year, the rents that most tenants pay won’t cover the heating costs and the other expenses incurred by the buildings’ owners.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
This could be the awakening of the voiceless. Perhaps the final effect of Katrina will be that the poorest among us will finally be noticed.

There is hardly a city in North America (Canada included) where there is not a growing number of homeless people. Whatever the reasons, it is a shame that this can be happening within the richest nations on the planet.

There, but for the luck of a good job and the good fortune of family bonds, go I.
But, hey...I suppose I should mention luck of good health too, body and mind.

top topics

join