It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: RFID Chips Being Used For Tracking Katrina Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Bodies are being implanted with RFID chips from VeriChip in an effort to speed up processing the dead from hurricane Katrina. The morticians working with The U.S. Disaster Mortuary Operational Response Team (DMORT) will insert a chip when they find a body -- the chip will have information about where they found the body and what condition it is in along with any particulars that may help with identification later. Some of the chips are even able to have digital photos put on them.

news.com.com
"While difficult to think about, such technologies will greatly assist in the disaster recovery efforts by speeding the process of cadaver processing, reducing error and facilitating the reunification of the deceased with their loved ones," the company stated.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I can certainly see that this will aid in the processing of these victims of hurricane Katrina. My concern is that when there is another disaster they will insist on inserting the chips as people go to the evacuation centers. While I can see many positives for doing this I can also see that it could be used as a way to get everyone chipped in the future. I haven't made up my mind yet about being chipped much like our friend did with their new dog.

Related News Links:
news.com.com
news.com.com
news.com.com

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
DarkElf did a great thread on RFID chips and their various applications. But I think this is a newer application than was even on there though.

Great Thread

A really good read on this subject and well worth checking out. Thanks to DarkElf for this.

[edit on 17-9-2005 by justme1640]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I wanted to add some new information on this subject from this article today

new article

"The VeriChip allows the technicians to accurately and quickly identify the remains inside the body bag without having to open the body bag at each step along the process," Procter said.

Some privacy advocates fear that implantable RFID chips could lead to unwanted tracking of humans.

But Chuck Kerr, a Murfreesboro, Tennessee, businessman whose parents' bodies were at the DMORT site in Gulfport for nearly two weeks after the Aug. 29 storm, doesn't object to the technology's use in disaster recovery.

"If it helps the families find their loved ones, then I think it's a good thing," he said.

I can certainly see where it would help with the making an index of disaster victims and also in locating anything pertaining to the deceased (clothing, dna, additional paperwork, etc.) One quick swipe of a machine compared to reading each tag attached to the bodies.

new topics

join