It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Busted: University of Memphis student Mahmoud Maawad

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 03:35 AM
link   
drastic times call for drastic measures.

maybe if all the muslims are deported they will have that much outrage and anger towards the terrorists for causing there world wide vilification they will root out the terrorists them selves.

The US and the world cant do it, the muslims are the only ones that can solve this problem.

And the more of them we kill in iraq, the smaller that window of opportunity becomes.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
hey

i think the guy is probably up to know good. but he must not have been very smart. i mean, why would someone have all those things just layed out in his room like that. doesnt he realise that if he ever did anything suspicious at all he could be searched so why didnt he try to hide it a little better?

so even though to me it its unlikely i think 2 things could have occured here:
1. the stuff was planted on him to make it look like our government is doing a good job locating dangerous people in our country

or
2. the guy wasnt that smart at hiding his stuff and we got really lucky

im leaning towards the second one imhop. but i just thought i would throw the first one out there

just a side note: i dont think he is stupid because he is of middle eastern decent by the way. just in case someone would take it the wrong way.

Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Sounds like he’s been watching “Catch me if you can”, that had fraud and airline pilots in it.
Or maybe he was just after some free travel.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
This is just another signal to those whom are inside the Beltway that we need to CLOSE OUR DAMN BORDERS!. It appears that most if not all of our voices go unheard in D.C. I think he is just trying to see just how many he can get into the country because they would bee a force to reckon with at the ballot box. I have to admit to my fellow brothers and sisters here at ATS that I voted for Bush 2x. thinking he would be the lessor of the two evils but I was wrong as I hold my head down ashamed. He is leading our great country down a very steep slope knowing all along there is no saftey net. His inaction on the boder issue should be enoungh to get him ejected from his lofty perch and I would say that there would be many that would feel the same if not even more violent. Walking away in disgust with hands in the air and cussing....

[edit on 17-9-2005 by FLYIN HIGH]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
"The correct thing to do, is for a law to be passed such that people that enter a non arab country follow the same procedures and subject to the same laws as every other person in that non arab country. "

our constitution doesn't allow use to dictate dress, it does however allow us to defend our borders and have some control over who comes into our country!

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Why they searched THIS dude's apartment in the first place.

Did he have a nosy neighbor who phoned the cops?

Are they backgrounding people who order airline videos without being a pilot (probably not a bad idea).

Did someone at the mosque where he prays notice something out of the ordinary?

The REAL story was how they found THIS GUY in the first place. . . .

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Do you know how many foreign students are in US universities?

thanks for the numbers. now, how many of those middle eastern students are over 25 and from countries that either sponsor terrorism in some form or are the country of citizenship for many terrorists?

bet it ain't that large a number anymore.

as for the fact that he had all that pilot gear - he also might have been attempting to pull a Frank Abagnale Jr. of some sort.

whatever the case, the young man had all the gear and the obvious need to be as accurate as possible in his attempt at impersonating a pilot. something was up.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
drastic times call for drastic measures.

maybe if all the muslims are deported they will have that much outrage and anger towards the terrorists for causing there world wide vilification they will root out the terrorists them selves.

The US and the world cant do it, the muslims are the only ones that can solve this problem.

And the more of them we kill in iraq, the smaller that window of opportunity becomes.

BINGO!

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Dr. strangecraft

i asked that question a couple posts above yours. so SOMEBODY did ask

like i said 1 of 2 things happened here.

Kind Regards,
Digitalgrl

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
oops my bad.

Did I post about the same time, or am I just short-term memory impaired I wonder.

I'm sure you planted the subconscious seed of my own thought . . .

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
DR,

we probably just posted around the same time. great minds think alike right? lol

Either way, i just cant shake how incredibly nice and neat the evidence was laid out. uniform and all. I mentioned this story to my boyfriend who is currently on his 2nd year studying criminal justice and is heading to the police academy in april to become a homicide detective and he said that is pretty much every investigators dream to have something packed so nice and neat.

Im not saying that our government set him up or that this story is false, but if the above two scenarios arent the case then this guy is not that intelligent. which is a good thing in our case.

Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Every so often we're lucky enough to get a really stupid criminal. It's so much fun to hear about it when it happens. Like the guy over here that tried to rob a bank, got to the teller, and it was his sister in law. Or the one that wrote his robbery note on the back of his deposit slip with is name and address on it. It sounds like this guy falls into that category. Luckily for us, if he had all those plans and videos and things. I'd be interested in hearing what he was involved in after they find out more from him.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Although there is always a possibility of official misconduct, my experience makes me think that there is a great deal of elementary police-work missing from the report. You generally don't tell the journalists how you got your lead, because the media will hassle witnesses and informants until Jesus gets back. And gleefully publish names and addresses in the bargain.

Just the words "landlord" or "former love interest" can ruin someone else's life and get you sued.

I have personally witnessed the media follow a grieving mother into the house where her daughter, her only living relative, had been murdered.

And the media would return every couple of days to check up on what the mother was "feeling now."

I can see the media asking at his mosque, "who turned him in?" Now that would do a whole lot for the local muslim community.

enought to make you bitter, really.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
i remember a couple of years ago where some Egyptian pilot intentionally crashed an airplane full of Egyptian military personnel, and he was praying just before the plane hit the water. thats something we should consider.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Dr,
you were in law enforcement? what did you do if i may ask. i have alot of respect for people that choose that line of work. although maybe i am a bit biased because of my bf going into that. Still, even so much respect to you

Would you call it unethical that they spoke to the media with such detail? is that something that they would get into trouble for?

imhop i agree with your post. it is something that can make one bitter. and it gives the good guys/girls in that line of work a really bad name. The people that i have met that are in law enforcment always seem to take a lot of pride in holding their sources very close to the belt. it makes you wonder why the ones that make such stupid moves got into it in the first place.

What is your theory on this case? do you think it was a setup or a stupid criminal?

Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
because I treasure my netanonymity.

I moved from street-level investigations to the processing of information gathered by others about ongoing criminal enterprises. In the end, I spent most of my time coordinating with reps from state and fed law enforcement for ongoing cases, and prepping cases for the DA's office.

I think the article posted here was "and article about an article." it was the basic stuff that the information officer would fax to local news agencies.

One of the biggest problems with major investigations is figuring out what to release to the media, since you're never really sure what will be critical later.

Even tiny things, like "he" instead of "the suspect" can give the media central information that can interfere with a case. And the major crime associations, like drug sydicates, carefully read every word published by police.

Suppose you told the media how you caught this guy. I.e., the feds called your office because this dude's Uncle Samir back in Egypt got a weird letter, and called the American FBI. And you say so. Now, the leader of his terrorist cell has just learned that you have no idea that there's a terrorist plot right under your nose. So the imam is confident that they can continue their plans, and you have no clue. They will also instruct this suspect's lawyer to tell him that he must claim to be a "lone nut," in order to save the rest of the Memphis operation.

Does this happen? all the time.

I had a newspaper man call our office, asking for details about a white pickup we had supposedly impounded. I keep telling the guy we have had no impounds in the last 6 hours, since I came on shift. The guy is arguing with me, and accuses me of lying. We trade professional put-downs. During the phonecall, a clerk interrupts me to tell me that a white pickup was just reported by a security guard in back of a MegaloMart in our area, with a dead body in it, and what will turn out to be coc aine residue all over the inside of the cab. Guess who called the newspaper guy? The sworn enemy of the dead dude in the pickup . . .

So yeah, even the way you choose to "no comment" sends a message.

And if you say "no comment" every single time, they never even listen when you have a press release. The media can censure your department, and deprive you of a voice in the community, unless you "cooperate" with them, at least sometimes.

By the way, I'm not a "Leo" anymore. I became an "aquarius" back about 1998 as far as you know.

went to grad school in another field.

[edit on 19-9-2005 by dr_strangecraft]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join