It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steps of Freemasonry Illustration Origin

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

Originally posted by Nygdan
Are these different physical buildings, or is it all confluent with the local lodge?

Usually, the Scottish Rite organizations own their own Temples. These are generally larger buildings with large auditoriums, dining halls, libraries, etc. Usually, the words "Scottish Rite Temple" are engraved somewhere on the front of the building, along with the Double-Headed Eagle.

Smaller Lodge buildings usually only host Blue Lodges (the Blue Lodge name and number will be seen on the building's sign). Medium-sized buildings whose signs simply read "Masonic Temple" usually have both a Blue Lodge and York Rite bodies who meet there.

The Temple in Ft. Worth is all-in-one, if memory serves.

Here's some pictures of the outside:

external image

It's really nice on the inside and has an awesome library.

I believe the WM told me that the local Scottish Rite Valley holds their stated meetings and confers degrees in the Consistory's lodge room, though he did say that given my level of interest, I might want to take my AASR degrees in Guthrie when the time comes. I would still be in the Valley of Ft. Worth, but just travel there to see all the degrees; he said they put on quite a show.

[edit on 9/21/05 by The Axeman]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I just thought of something off handedly, do any other secret societies have buildings like this>? I mean, it'd be embarassing if the masons didn't have greatly architectured buildings, but that can't be the only reason that they do it? I've never heard of a Pythian hall that looked like half the bigger masonic buildings. Or is it that the masons, being a larger group, have more large halls (as opposed to smaller ones for a town or two?)

df1

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I just thought of something off handedly, do any other secret societies have buildings like this>?

Well not all Masonic temples are so stately. Our building serves 2 Masonic Lodges, OES, DeMolay, Rainbow Girls and several appendant bodies. It is quite modest and Im not embarassed.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by df1]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23
Here is the Life Magazine illustration for those who wich to compare the two.

Life Magazine

external image

Poster: (from above)

Interesting observations Nygdan.

[edit on 16/9/05 by ConspiracyNut23]

Why is the Eastern Star symbol up right in these two,but from the link provided by japike on the previous page the bottom pic has it upside down?.

www.thebluecoats.org...

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777

Why is the Eastern Star symbol up right in these two,but from the link provided by japike on the previous page the bottom pic has it upside down?.

The Eastern Star always is supposed to have one point downward, because it symbolically points the Magi in the direction of Bethlehem ("We have seen his star in the east and are come to worship him").

I see the star you're talking about on the chart, but it's small, and I can't read it. I think that's referring to the Order of Amaranth, not the Order of the Eastern Star. I can confirm this tonight when I get home, as I have that poster, and can take a look.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I just thought of something off handedly, do any other secret societies have buildings like this>? I mean, it'd be embarassing if the masons didn't have greatly architectured buildings, but that can't be the only reason that they do it? I've never heard of a Pythian hall that looked like half the bigger masonic buildings. Or is it that the masons, being a larger group, have more large halls (as opposed to smaller ones for a town or two?)

Well I know the KoP had a rather nice building in Ft. Worth at one time (unfortunately it seems the KoP are going the way of the dodo)... It's no longer a KoP lodge (it's a restaraunt/nightclub now, I think) but still it's pretty impressive. It's one of the oldest buildings downtown.

Here's one of an old Masonic lodge too:

external image

Not so grandiose, eh?

Like df1 said, not all are so imposing. Smaller towns usually have smaller lodges. Ft. Worth is a rather large city... well compared to where I'm from anyway.

I see the star you're talking about on the chart, but it's small, and I can't read it. I think that's referring to the Order of Amaranth, not the Order of the Eastern Star. I can confirm this tonight when I get home, as I have that poster, and can take a look.

Well I blew up the picture and sure enough it says Eastern Star... I wonder if they just made a mistake?

[edit on 9/22/05 by The Axeman]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

It seems the mistake is a common one.

I still find it strange that a 32nd degree would make such a mistake. Isn’t he liable to get his toilet blown? (
, I always wanted to make a toilet joke)

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I still find it strange that a 32nd degree would make such a mistake.

32° is Scottish Rite; I'm not a member of OES.

Isn’t he liable to get his toilet blown?

I hope not...It's got my Spiderman lid cover on it!

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   

32° is Scottish Rite; I'm not a member of OES.

ML I was referring to Everett Henry (the painter and also 32°) as the one who did the mistake, not you, I should’ve been more specific.

You first pointed out the painter’s error here:

The Eastern Star always is supposed to have one point downward, because it symbolically points the Magi in the direction of Bethlehem.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

by the way what does “my bad” mean? This with the blown toilet jokes seem to repeat on ATS.

[edit on 22/9/05 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   

by the way what does “my bad” mean?

It's slang which simply means "sorry, my mistake".

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I love it when I get to read Masonic Lights' answers, because I check him out with my limited knowledge and sources and also by speaking to many much more experienced and knowledgable Masons in my lodge. He's right again about York Rite also. I was raised just recently to Master Mason and I applied to attended all 4 Royal Arch Degrees, which I was priviledged to do this last weekend. I also was able to attend my first Chapter meeting tonight, just got home as a matter of fact. Most of what has been discussed in these posts are the very things we were discussing this evening.
I also belong to a Lodge in San Diego and it is Scottish Rite, but I have not even begun to think about attending it because all of the information I have recently been introduced to is pretty overwhelming, in and of itself. I have alot of studying to do and questions to answer and a 3rd Degree proficiency to learn, in addition to work, life,school, etc.,etc.,etc. . But it is my extreme pleasure to read Mason Lights' answers to some of the not-quite-right information that gets spewed around here sometimes.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   

ML I was referring to Everett Henry (the painter and also 32°) as the one who did the mistake, not you

This is what i pointing towards in asking about the differences.Why the contridiction?

Simple mistake? i think more people in the know would have pointed it out to them a long time time ago if the original star is supposed to be upside down then drawn right side up.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Perhaps the convention of having it pointing down was adopted after the poster was made.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Perhaps the convention of having it pointing down was adopted after the poster was made.

I suppose anythings possible,but just going by ML`s comments that its always represented the star of Bethlehem so it should be point down before the poster was made if thats the reasoning behind it?

Or Freemasonry has tried to distance its self from an up side down pentagram?

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777

I suppose anythings possible,but just going by ML`s comments that its always represented the star of Bethlehem so it should be point down before the poster was made if thats the reasoning behind it?

Not sure. Looking into it.

Or Freemasonry has tried to distance its self from an up side down pentagram?

Ummmm, no. Why would it? Because some people are ignorant to the symbolism?

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
me, the one man who`s carrying the united spirit of the hole mankind,
will not let them be successfull. - be sure.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join