It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hyptnotism & Smoking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Just looking for some insight on hyptnotism and smoking.

My mother has been wanting to quit smoking for some time but to no avail.

A friend of hers is about to try hypto to alleviate the craving for nicotine, if her friend is successful, my mother will try it as well. As I applaud her and encourage her for yet another attempt at kicking the habit, I have to wonder does hypto actually work.

Hyptnotism has been around for a long time and I have never really given much thought let alone credibility to the success of such a treatment.

My question or request is this; Has anyone tried or know of someone who has tried Hypto for any reasons and found its results to be legit?

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
hyptnotism can work it all depends on the person though .
If they belive it can work it works alot better .
i have studyed this kind of thing all my life and have successfully used it once and seen plently of effects of belif on how people recact to things .
so to start ill tell you what and how I used hypno on my wife and helped her .
Ps it was very strange.
She kept getting mirgrains all the time and the docs kept chainging the pills trying to find something that would help .
((((( when I was 19 I started getting these realy intense spot head acks and got more and more worryed .finly i went to a doc and she said they were cluster headacks and Not a toomer and just like magic the headacks went away.))))))))
anyway I figered something like this was causing my wifes headacks .
You get a head ack you think about the headack it gets worse (FEED BACK).
so using the relax and count back from meathed I put hypno her.
Only took to the count of ten (she was easy).
then the realy weird stuff started .Because I dont realy know what to ask or do at this point I lets her do most of the work .
first by asking her to find the headacks .then asking her what she wanted to do with them.
This involved a long windied prosses of a man BUYING them from her lol.
woman and shoping lol. anyway once this Immangary guy left I set a key sound in her mind by telling her to listen to the sound of the aircondishner and telling her if she ever felt another headack comming on she would hear that sound and the headack would dissapier.
needless she dident get even the slightess head ack for YEARS after this .
Of corse the only reasion it worked is because she wanted it to .
this is the key to hypno .

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
My mother smoked for 30 years, before quitting in 1992. She had one visit to a hypnotherapist and bingo! It was that quick. Previously she'd been a 2 pack/day smoker.

My exhusband also did the same thing, only I think he had a couple of visits. He was a previous 1.5/pack a day smoker.

It worked for both of them

Like Simcity said, different people will be more receptive to the techniques, and they have a much better chance at success if they really want to quit, and are doing it for their own reasons (as opposed to doing it because someone told/asked them to do so).

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
well I don't trust just any hypnotist from the yellow pages, so I attempted self hypnosis...I'm still a smoker.

but at least I haven't quit trying to quit.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I quit smoking 25 years ago with the help of a hypnotist.
He also had a degree in Psychology It only took one session and also a recording of that session which I listened to every day for 1 month.
Do everything yo can to quit smoking.
I am in the Medical field and it ain't pretty the results.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
To quit smoking or to quit any adiction, one has to really want to quit. I am not talking about the casual, oh I'm gonna quit New Years resolution, I mean really want to get hold of your life type of mentality. Hypnosis only works on some people, not on all. The problem with hypnosis is the person will replace the habit of smoking with another habit. The best way to quit is to go cold turkey, if that want work then try the step down method where your daily intake of nicotene is reduced gradually until your body no longer craves it. This can be accomplished using filters that are placed on the end of the cigerette and reduce the amount that you are inhaling, this is the method that worked for me.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yorga
The problem with hypnosis is the person will replace the habit of smoking with another habit. The best way to quit is to go cold turkey,

Not everyone will pick up another habit to replace nicotine.

And cold turkey, though it might be best for some, can cause untold stress and discomfort in others...which just ain't going to allow them to quit.

Different folk need different methods. Some will do fine with hypnosis, some will do better going cold turkey without any other aid. Diff'rent strokes, etc etc

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Thanks for all the feed back.

As I stated earlier, I never really had any thought one way or the other towards hypnosis. Now that someone close to me is about to try it, I feel I should at least learn a little more about as well as take it more seriously.

thanks again

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Self-hypnotism worked for me but it took nearly a year.

Do not get discouraged. Keep trying!

Try other methods as yorga suggested.

Addictions are powerful but they can be beaten if the resolve is strong!

Good Luck to your mum!!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
My mother in law quit almost 30 years ago by a hypnotist.
However a friend of mine went to one and it worked....somewhat. After about a week her earlobe was totaly raw and bleeding. Come to find out she was supposed to rub her earlobe every time she had a craving. Ha she had to go back and have him change it.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower

Originally posted by Yorga
The problem with hypnosis is the person will replace the habit of smoking with another habit. The best way to quit is to go cold turkey,

Not everyone will pick up another habit to replace nicotine.

And cold turkey, though it might be best for some, can cause untold stress and discomfort in others...which just ain't going to allow them to quit.

Different folk need different methods. Some will do fine with hypnosis, some will do better going cold turkey without any other aid. Diff'rent strokes, etc etc

You are absolutely right in that not everyone will pick up another habit, I was speaking in general terms as a proven side effect of hypnosis. Just as with prescription drugs, sometimes the side effects are worse than the ailment. A smoker gets use to having something in their hand and putting something in their mouth, which a lot of times will lead to weight gain from over eating. It's the habit of lighting up after eating and while drinking that is the hardest for most people to break. Hypnosis done properly can be a useful tool. But the body must be allowed to phyiscally withdraw from nicotene. Also sometimes one must confront the reason why they started to smoke in the first place such as a stress. Many varibles and whatever floats your boat.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Hypnosis works only if the person is "open" to suggestion.

Watch a Movie. Do you >

1) Get engrossed in the movie, and it becomes “Real”.

Or

2)Do you never “truly” get into it.

Most of us would be somewhere in the middle. If you never get engrossed in a movie. Like me, then you would have poor suggestibility. And hypnosis will not work for you.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
As you and others have said, the desire to quit must be there. I was diagnosed with mild COPD this January and quit immediately. I didn't smoke for three or four weeks. But then, I returned to dipping (college habit). It's true you can exchange habits because I do off and on. I am considering hypnosis myself but I really think (as others have said here) that you cannot be skeptical of it or it will fail.

I also don't want to rub my earlobe off so I'll have to be sure to tell my hypnotist that...

I think that support (especially from other smokers) is vital. I have a colleague who said last year that he would quit on his 30th birthday. That happened a month ago and to my knowledge he hasn't smoked since. The smokers in our department at work all support him so I know that has to help.

What's funny (in a sick way) is that a bunch of us were out one day talking about the impacts of smoking while we were all smoking.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
There are some people who cannot be hypnotized without drugs. This is a good quality to have. But means you have to drug (bring down the awareness) of these individuals to make it work. You want to move toward awareness not away from it.

Hypnotism can be powerful, but honestly I would find answers to problems elsewhere.

Troy

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Well, I am not sure about hypnotism, but I got a cd that has subliminal messages on it a couple of weeks ago. It has worked so well. It is like I woke up a non smoker. I have not picked up any other habits. Im not grouchy, edgy, or eating all the time. It has been a wonderful thing. The cd is very hypnotic, so if what ever she is going to be doing is anything like the cd I got. I am sure she will be sucessful in quitting.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Not a bump, just an update.

My mother, after over 40 years of smoking ... is still a NON-SMOKER, thanks to the hyptnotism.

Its been over a year now, and she has still not started back up. There's been some rough times of late where a cigarette may have helped as a calming agent, but she bypassed it all.

I must say I am proud of her and applaud her accomplishments.

Just a feel good post to start my day.

top topics

join