A foreign-born president? 2 bills take aim at the ban

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   
How would you Americans feel about Arnie becoming President?

startribune.com...

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Comparisons between the actor who would be California governor and the actor who was California governor usually end with the same codicil.

Even if Arnold Schwarzenegger wins the recall election, he can never rise to the presidency, as Ronald Reagan of Dixon, Ill., did. Not necessarily because he lacks Reagan's political savvy, but because he was born in Austria.

But in the legislative carousel of Washington, everything is open to debate, even the 216-year-old constitutional requirement that presidents be native-born citizens. That article is encountering rising resentment from some lawmakers who regard it as antiquated and discriminatory.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 03:03 PM
link   
When I first moved to the US, back in 1979, it was drilled into me that this was as sacred as the constitution itself.

I'm surpsided, and then again, I'm not.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Would any country want a foreinger coming in and running it? No. Would say the European Union like it if a bunch of Americans filled up its council seats? NO.

I think its simply a matter of security, as well as national identity. Only native born citizens of that country should run the country.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I was explained that it was so that no soviet sleeper could ever become president, in history lessons in the 5th grade, back in 1979.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Actually, the reasons are older than that.

When it was written, the monarchy was alive and well all over Europe. leaders of nations were married to the children of other nations, thus forming familial alliances involving entire kingdoms. it is this same ideal that caused world war 1.

Thus, part of the reason was to ensure the office of presidency wouldnt be entangled with foreign alliances and pacts.

That was one of the primary reasons. That, and to prevent foreign presidents from allowing the then threat of foreign imperialists to rape the USA.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I think its simply a matter of security, as well as national identity. Only native born citizens of that country should run the country

I think that the bill will not be passed because of that. Plus, I dont want terminator to become my president.

new topics
top topics

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum