It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nintendo Revolution Controller

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Wow. That's really all I gotta say right now. I thought it would be different, but this...this just blows my mind! The people are saying pretty good things about it though. I'll give my thoughts later on cause I really don't want to spoil anything untill you've seen what this thing looks like.

See it here:

www.gameinformer.com...

WOW!

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
The sleek look sucks. Nobody wants to play a video game on a remote control.

lol

Quite funny. I would like to try it, but it just doesnt look very comfortable or functional when you think about it.

Look at the analog stick setup what a joke.

But does it really matter? When is the last time Nintendo made a game geared toward the North American user over the age of 7?

They often forget that we dont understand the japanese concept games either.

Nintendo used to be cool, you changed man....

:shk:

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
media.cube.ign.com...

Watch that and enjoy. I can see this being HUGE. So many possibilties.

With that said I think everyone should hold of "OMFG it sucks and OMFG it rocks" remark before that play it themselves. This is a new thing that no one has played before so I think we are in for a treat!

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Well I have to admit, at first I was thinking "WTF is that!?!?!?!, How the hell do I hold that, my God thats almost as bad as the PS3 boomerang!!!"

However once I got down to thinking, I realize that could actually work. With a bit of though, and a bit of role playing with my hands, I've realized it's one of the most inovative things since the analog stick. After role playing and some reading I realize;

1. It could very well be comfortable.
  2. The numbchuck idea looks so awesome!
  3. Sweet, no more worrying about my brother losing the wireless connector like with the wavebirds.
  4. Those wavebirds were probably the best wireless controllers out there, same company, that holds promise.
  5. Tilt sensitve, thats extremely cool and presents a lot of possiblities.

I have to say, I've been skeptic of Nintendo controllers since the N64 (my first system). N64 looked weird, Gamecube's looked weird. But I came to love the both of them within minutes of playing (note: I forgot to role play with my hands before playing). This controller actually looks quite amazing, and I think it's actually worth the extremely long wait.

In comparison to the PS3's controller it is practically a generation ahead, and I think it's a lot more inovative than the X-Box 360 controller. Of course seing as none of use have played any of them (360's center thingy has potential yet to be explored so X-Box 1 doesn't count) it's hard to say what will work best. But I have to say, kudos for Nintendo for figuring out a way to make a highly useable controller while breaking the traditional setup of a controller.

That and the concept of Metroid Prime 2 being played fluidly without lock on has me extremely psyched for Metroid Prime 3 on Revolution. From what I've seen so far, even if it's at the level at Gamecube in power, it'll still be one awesome system.

Hmm..... now what does that home button do?

And what sort of possiblities for Super Smash Bros (new one coming for Revolution incase you didn't know) will it have..... hmm...... tilt sensitive dodges maybe........ *drools in happiness*....

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The big kicker, as the article says, will be porting games to the new system as the controller is so funky it will make ports harder and harder.

And sports games!

How will you play sports games on that controller !

I just cant see it.

I did like the Nintendo 64 controller though, that one was nice. At first it looked weird too, but at least you could see its functionality without even touching it.

Go ahead, I challenge you, pick up your tv remote and imagine playing a console game with it.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
You can easily play a sports game with the controller. As you have read they will have "shells" and "expansions" for the controllers.

This is a mock up of one that looks like a gamecube controller:

arc.0daymeme.com...

[edit on 9/17/2005 by Huria86]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The contoll actually looks pretty nice. The revolution looks nice as well. I really expected something different then this, this is really awesome. This could actually be good! Can't wait till it comes out!

[edit on 17-9-2005 by Striker122]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Although it is a nice piece of work, I doubt it's actually that nice from a marketing standpoint. You see, these days it's more about marketing than it is about games to a large portion of gamers. For example, supposedly sales of San Andreas went up after the Hot Coffee incident.

Now although the Revolution's controller is quite possibly the best out of all of them, some people don't like change. Although I'll go with the Revolution's controller without hesitation a lot of people won't like just because it's not the same as what they're used to. So I figure Nintendo will have to market this game just the right way in order to get the right image across. Otherwise it'll sell about as well as the Gamecube. Of course the Gamecube did actually do pretty well considering the lack of marketing in comparison to X-Box and PS2. If Nintendo invests a bit more into marketing the thing it'll probably be able to offset the people who're so against change.

Revolution: Excellent for gamers. Bad for marketers.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This controller could rock with a Jedi Knight first person game. Imagine holding the stick like a light saber and moving it around and having the blade on screen mimic your movements in all dimensions!

Very cool.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Machine
This controller could rock with a Jedi Knight first person game. Imagine holding the stick like a light saber and moving it around and having the blade on screen mimic your movements in all dimensions!

Very cool.

Hell yea! I was thinking the same thing. I'm almost 100% sure they will make a game like that will the remote being a light saber. Im not really a nintendo fan but damn with revolution and imagining all the possibilites with it, its making me wet. First im getting an x-box then revolution next year. The hell with playstation.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
boy does that thing look hard to use! what ever happened to just the d-pad and A and B buttons on the Nes controll lol.

Stayed with the N64 type design on that control, but this one looks a bit more smooth and slick. Also playing mario party on certain parts when you had to use your thumb or palm to rotate the analog bit, grinding away my skin...couldn't be good...this one looks like it won't do that

so there's also a new nintendo console coming out...what's that gonna be like then, lots of compitition nowadays with the 360 and ps3.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Machine

Very cool.

I declare myself to be Darth Spleen.

For some reason I'm getting some very happy images of me having lightsaber duels with my friends. He he, I always wanted a high precision lightsaber game.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The "shells" and "expansions" wont be free of course, and thats part of the problem. You'll be paying for the backwards compatability which will kill the awesome-factor of being able to play older Nintendo platform games. In a good controler design the controler shouldnt require modification or add-ons to work with other games, it should do it all in one simple package, but I doubt nintendo will do that.

I honestly think this is the final grasp by nintendo in a market its been pushed out of after it was once the supreme system. As for the comments about the Revolution being competitive with the Xbox 360 and the PS3, I hardly think its going to ammount to competition to the big two. MS and Sony both know how to bring in developers who cater to the demographics that make money, but Nintendo has completely forgotten what its like to make money on a system, its still catering to the age-bracket that they first started serving when they came out with the NES, but we've all grown up now and don't want another kiddie game...

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I don't know about Nintendo putting up a "kiddie" image this time around. If you look at some of the plans, it looks like they'll be a bit more adult this time around. Just look at how the Revolution looks compared to the Gamecube, by comparrison the Revolution looks a lot more "mature". That and look at one of Nintendo's more recent games, Geist. It's an M-rated game published by Nintendo, a bit like Resident Evil but more paranormal. And just check out the list of games for Revolution, not much at this point but three I can confirm are Super Smash Bros. Revolution, Splinter Cell 4 and Metroid Prime 3 (neither are official titles at this point).

What I'm saying is that recent signs seem to be pointing away from an unfrom an unprofitable kiddie system. If you look at the video for the Revolution, it seems to suggest a lot of sword fighting and FPS possiblity. Sure Nintendo will probably make a few kids games here and there but let's not forget how profitable Nintendogs was, the majority of buyers bought it with a DS.

After five years of lost profits, it seems unlikely Nintendo is just going to sit back and stay kiddie. I see change in motion, and I think Revolution is more than just a title.

new topics

top topics

join