It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We who grew up with games

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Ha I grew up playing games in a Texsas instraments TRS-80 Color computer with a cassatte PLAYER to load games on. I even taught myself how to type on it, and programming in BASIC.

Of course there was allways Dungeons and Dragons that came with a 20 sided DIe and a crayon to write the numbers on

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
Ha I grew up playing games in a Texsas instraments TRS-80 Color computer with a cassatte PLAYER to load games on. I even taught myself how to type on it, and programming in BASIC.

Of course there was allways Dungeons and Dragons that came with a 20 sided DIe and a crayon to write the numbers on

Remember those dungeon games where your character was a simple symbol, like an & and you had to traverse a dungeon looking for gold: $ and killing monsters: %, *, #?

Hi-larious.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Moon Patrol!!!!!
Atari?

In the 'Arcades' (remember those? video game rooms w/ big old equipment?): In these places: Marble Madness!!!! Cool game!
And of course, Centipede (I was smokin good at this one!)

Ah, I'm giving away my age.......

(I have tried to download various free versions of the old Moon Patrol off the net-I just cannot get any one of em to load right let alone work. Lets join in Geekness on this, let me know if anyone else knows........)

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
(I'm young compared to some of the people here, I'm only 17).

When I was a little kid about 7-8 I used to play the origonal Mario brothers game on the NES, than I bought a GameBoy (The big grey origonal ones with the yelowish screen that played black and white games), and than when the GameBoy pocket came out, I got that, than I got an N64, than a few years later I bought a PS2, than a GameBoy advance, than a GameCube, and than my newest of all systems GameBoy advance SP.
And over the last few years I've collected a few computer games.

(I also had an atari, but it broke.)

As for my favorite games for each system, is as follows

NES:
Mario brothers

GameBoy (Origonal and pocket):
Pokemon Red edition, Harvest moon 1,2 and 3

N64:
Vigilante 8, Vigilante 8 two, Harvest Moon, Super smash bros., StarFox 64

PS2:
GTA3, GTA: Vice city, GTA: San Andreas, Harvest moon: Save the homeland, Ghost In The Shell, StarTrek Voyager: Elite Force, True Crime: Streets of L.A.

GameBoy Advance/SP:
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral town, Pokemon Emerald (Yeah I know, pokemon is so uncool, but whatever), Hamtaro

GameCube:
Harvest Moon: A wonderful life, Harvest Moon: Another wonderful life (Same game, but different gender main character), Animal Crossing, Super Mario Sunshine, Pokemon channel, The Sims: Bustin' out

Computer:
Earth 2150: Escape from the blue planet (One of the most awesome games ever IMO), Rollercoaster Tycoon

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Sitting here humming Super Mario tune with a geek smile dreamin' old times

U have any favourite game tunes?

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I have the Mario tune on my pc! ALso, my fav tune?

Araknoid! I had the tune in my head, didn't know where it came from, then played my nintendo, loaded the game, and heard it.

Zelda is pretty cool to. Along with the Final Fantasy musics, especially the end of battle one, they change the instruments/speed it is played in every FF I have played, but it is the same one.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   
LMAO!!...i had an Amstrad cpc 464 with color monitor (because we were posh..lol)....it was absolutley pants.....it came with 12 free games.....

Galactic plague
Harrier Attack
Macrocosmica
"Oh Mummy"
Labyrinth

damn..cant remember the others.......i remember Macrocosmica being the best, you had to fly round planets trading and fighting space pirates, it took about 2 hrs to load and inevitabley took 3 attempts to do so.

It also came with a guide to programming...you'd spend like 2 days entering this code and when you typed "run"....the screen would go blue and a red circle would appear!! AWESOME!.....I think its still in my parents attic?

and im hope it stays there.

Regards.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I never appreciated my commodore 64 or Atari. I liked them, I must have if I was willing to wait so long for them to load, but they were never magical enough. Out of all those old school systems, the best IMO was the Amstrad. Many happy memorys of playing "Oh Mummy!" and the Dizzy games.

But the real magic began when the Sega Megadrive with Sonic the Hedgehog arrived on at the door. I had already bought Quackshot, and had spent all month as a sad 6 year old trying to force it into the Atari in the vain hope I wouldnt have to wait for the Megadrive.

But it blew my mind when it came, I was astounded by the colors and the sprites, the C64 was doomed.

The same happened with Super Mario World, there was so much Hype about it, and when I finally got it I was hypnotized. IT was a beautiful creation for a kid to witness.

Since then, I missed quite a few consoles (The Saturn, Dreamcast, 3D0, Jaguar...couldn't be bothered with any of them), then got back with it for the N64 and PS1, then left them for a year or 2 due to the bad quality games being pumped out (After FF7, all the RPG's I bought were being left unfinished out of contempt.....they just couldn't hold the same kind of attention). But the future is bright,some of the games coming out in the last few years for the PS2 and PC have been amazing (Pro Evo, Gran Turismo 4, Age of Empires series, Tekken 5, the GTA's to name but a handfull) and have rekindled my career-preventing love of the games. The PS3 looks astounding, another step forward and you just know it's going to be a good step.

As for X-Boxes.......well, my hands are clumsy enough as it is, I don't need to be holding a dinner plate too.

Edit: It only just occured to me that I totaly missed the Master System and NES! Sad times.....although I do remember playing someone elses master system a lot, that wasn't too bad at all. I even remember a racing game you could build your own track on, probably the same one someone mentioned earlier.

[edit on 17-9-2005 by chebob]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I had a roomate for a while that collected old game systems. Turbographix was the jewel with military madness. suprising how some of the ealrier systems came out with such great games

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
My first PC game that hooked me in was Bards Tale. We had an Atari 2600 before that. I rocked at Missile Command.

We used the Atari IIC and IIE in elementary school. Anyone remember Logo? I typed in a bunch of coordinates at random one time, and when I ran i came out with an almost perfect city skyline. The line at the end dropped down too low though. Talk about nostalgia.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I still remember going to my dads work at Nicolet instraments, who designed mass spectrometers. They had a computer there that used big ol lasers disks about 2 1/2 feet in diameter to load programs. Then had a program that printed out mazes on paper. Spent many hours solving the freshly printed mazes

top topics

<< 1   >>

join