It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush's live speech

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Just sitting here watching the speech. Noticed it is very dark there, doesn't the sun set about 8:30 p.m. or so. Also noticed that he looks like he is speaking in front of a green screen. He also has a bullet proof vest on, must be very sad to have to wear one in your own country, speaking to your own nation.

www.cnn.com...

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- In a nationally televised address Thursday night, President Bush offered the people of New Orleans and the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast the nation's sympathy and reassured them that "in the journey ahead, you are not alone."

i.a.cnn.net...

Maybe I am wrong, but it sure is dark there.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I listen to 23 minutes of it because now he is preaching.

It seems that the city will be rebuild first and then the housing meanwhile he is planning to put everybody in mobile homes while construction is done.

That can take up to 10 years.

He talks about the 5 thousand dollars accounts for training of workers but then he is planing to have them pay under wages.

5 Thousand dollars is not enough for training.

The reconstruction of NO is going to take a long, long time.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I find it hard believe in a person who follows a teleprompter to the tee. He never said anything except for what was scripted. I'm dissapoointed concerning his address.............

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
Noticed it is very dark there, doesn't the sun set about 8:30 p.m. or so.

Sunrise and Sunset times:

New Orleans, LA 20:48, Thu, 15 Sep 2005 DST 06:45 19:05

Looks like 7:05.

Worldtime

I didn't hear it,. I didn't know he was going to speak. The vest is an interesting fashion touch. Yeah, the president in his own country. Or maybe it was a statement. "Yes, people, it's dangerous here! We need to get all the guns"!

Outrageous!

[edit on 15-9-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by witchof43
I find it hard believe in a person who follows a teleprompter to the tee. He never said anything except for what was scripted. I'm disappointed concerning his address.............

Well...Unfortunately the days of candid speeches from the President are long gone...and have been for some time...While the human element is missing, it gives more polished surface for the citizens of this country to work with - Eloquence is only thrown in these days for PR purposes...

I was surprised to find he didn't flub his way through this one tonight...Sure he made the occasional mistake, but he seemed more passionate and devoted than he has in the past...

His three-pronged strategy to rebuild the Gulf Coast seems promising...But also foreign....There's no track-record of proven success with these innovative ideas, b/c our country has never implemented them....

There seemed to be a lack of detail or accountability....Entire tragedies were glazed over in one or two sentences....Little focus was placed on which and how many rocks they would turn over to find the flaws in our system....

Lots still left unanswered and unaccounted for....But hopes will be somewhat lifted....

The Gulf Coast will rebuild....A complete political recovery for the Bush administration and the other gov't officials responsible, however, stands on less sturdy ground....

[edit on 9/15/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I think he just said what he knew people wanted to hear. The true test will come when and if je follows through on what he has promised. Time will tell.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Did anybody catch when he said the federal government and
the military need more power here in the U.S.? Those are not
his exact words but that is preety much what he was saying.

I might just be paranoid, but could this be the begining of this
government finally admitting to a police state? To me that is
very scary and I now trust this government even less.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
EnronOutrunHomerun,

I realize, for the most part, that presidential speeches are scripted and written by his press corps, writers, etc. but, considering the nature of the situation at hand, he could have at least taken a step back [per se] and gave something of himself. . . something at least seemingly true and heartfelt, even if it was BS.

Instead . . .

He spoke from a completely sterile and sanitized environment, using the beautiful and serene backdrop of Jackson Square in downtown New Orleans, whilst reading directly from a teleprompter.

IMO, had he done so from a local relief center, Red Cross facility, or anywhere in front of real people . . . and had actually been speaking to a group of those affected/displaced by Katrina it would have at least stood a chance of being from the heart and sincere, even if he had to look down at his script every 2-3 seconds.

It just felt so disconnected and "here-I-am-to-save-the-day-like".

Even the reporters covering the event made references that only a street or two away, in any direction, there were no lights, power, etc. They continued on to say that just minutes prior to his arrival the street lights were coming up, alarms were sounding in local businesses, etc. as power was being supplied to the "local" area. Their comments were as to how surreal it seemed when, again, only a street or so away, there was total desolation. No lights, no power, no nothing. Obviously, though, the stage was set for tonight's performance.

Lights, Camera, . . . Ladies and Gentleman . . . the President of the United States.

I feel sick typing this . . . but . . . Damn!?

Peace2All

[edit on 9/15/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I thought he did a decent job with what was a big speech. Sure you Bush haters will grip about anything so go ahead, whats new? I mean after all some of you even think he planned and executed 911.

As a side note, he did say more power for the military and it DID make me uncomforatable a bit. It remains to be seen how that will be implemented.

All in all 7/10

[edit on 15-9-2005 by edsinger]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
He also has a bullet proof vest on, must be very sad to have to wear one in your own country, speaking to your own nation.

holy crap!!!

is that true!?!?!?

that is s000 funny

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Where are we going to get more military power? I know of individuals trying to get in but they say they don't need any one now, only Army...
Are other countries military aloud to help, because the USA is short on
military staff.........

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Another heart felt

"Don't worry folks, I'm in charge" speech.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
EnronOutrunHomerun,

I realize, for the most part, that presidential speeches are scripted and written by his press corps, writers, etc. but, considering the nature of the situation at hand, he could have at least taken a step back [per se] and gave something of himself. . . something at least seemingly true and heartfelt, even if it was BS.

Instead . . .

I can definitely agree with you there and certainly am not defending the modern-day sterile speeches we have come to expect from the men who are meant to guide our nations people…

They’re willing to grassroots campaign to put them in office, but once they reach that prestigious standard, they sneak into their shells….I suppose history has taught these high-profile people that being out among the public and actually speaking what comes from your heart can get them in more physical and political hot water than they (or the nation as a whole) could bear….

The little subtleties like how the backdrop lighting on the church matched the color of his shirt and his conscious efforts to smile in between teleprompter pauses (regardless of how grim the subject matter) are as much scripted as his speech…

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   

by edsinger:
Sure you Bush haters will grip about anything so go ahead, whats new?

I don't hate anyone, let alone him, but I do disagree with the majority of the current administration's approach to government. He just happens to be at the top of it all.

by edsinger:
I thought he did a decent job with what was a big speech.

No doubt this speech had to be a "biggie". IMO you, or most anyone, could have come across as convincing as he did.

Given the circumstances I would have rather LISTENED to a man stuttering and stammering trying to find the right words to grasp the feeling within his heart than to HEAR him read someone's script from a teleprompter.

This is the president of These United States.

Obviously he had to get across the information regarding the rebuilding process, the relief efforts, and the plan per se, but how about, for once, stepping down off the high horse and joining your fellow Americans in a time of crisis.

I, not we the gov, am here with and for you?!

Is that truly asking too much of our elected officials. To be civil, to be human, to be real people with hearts, souls, and genuine concern!?

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I watched the entire speach.
Most ussuredly this WAS the VERY BEST speach ever to come from GW's mouth.
With his public ratings as low as they are we KNOW for a FACT his staff writers were working OVERTIME to make SURE this would be his most wonderfull public address to date. But Blah blah blah...IMO actions speak louder than words, and I PRAY the general public does not 'buy' this OBVIOUSLY well written and much rehearsed speach....as a change in BEHAVIOUR.

America's media once again HARD AT WORK on ~THE JUNTA administration~ 'spin'.
OF COURSE this much publicised speach would sound so sweet....what ELSE would come out of the White House at this juncture? There is NO WAY that they are going to allow GW to use his own speach patterns and fumbleing brew ha ha when his ratings have taken such a dive. I was thinking while listening that "wow, he sure is reading this well....and thats a change to"......... but then I realised just HOW VERY PRACTICED the entire speach sounded........LMAO I for sure KNOW what GW has been doing for the last 24 hours......he has been reading his speach.......over and over and over and over and....................................................................................over...............

( now picture the energizer bunny turning pages and studying with vigor)

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
It was interesting to hear what was said about the poverty and the historical inequality and how it will be changed. I liked what was said about how the local governments and leaders will be in charge., but it will be interesting to see how it works out, hopefully for the best. I will also be interested to see how the grants and incentives to area businesses and entrepreneurs plays out.

He said the private fundraising efforts raised over 100million dollars which will help, but previously said congress approved 60 billion
I wonder how much the hurrican will cost when its all said and done? I would guess hundres of billions of dollars when add it all up, insurance liabilities etc.. I was thinking about how if everyone in America just gave $1 it would raise close to 300 million which would certainly help, but that's probably unrealistic.

Hopefully it the area will be built back better and stronger although it will probably never be the same.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
What could the president say to the public when they've been hosed to the tune of $trillions
for national security and disaster preparedness, only for the system to fail so badly when it really mattered?

How do you sidestep telling the people that essentially they are on their own for days or weeks or months if something major happens in their community?

What could he possibly say to make people actually feel better?

People who survived the hurricane and the flood DIED of incompetence, disorganization,bureaucracy
and neglect.

I'm sorry folks, but that sounds like negligent manslaughter to me.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   

by warpboost:
I was thinking about how if everyone in America just gave $1 it would raise close to 300 million which would certainly help, but that's probably unrealistic.

Bush Sr. and Clinton have supposedly raised "pledges", according to the speech, totalling over $100M but, according to the Red Cross and other relief orgaizations the people of our country have "donated" that plus more.

I truly wouldn't be surprised to see a "checkbox" for Katrina/New Orleans Relief on my 2005 tax return, like the one to donate $3 to the presidential election campaign.

If so, I know which "checkbox" will contain ink.

Peace2All

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
If somebody still wants to hear him preach, the video is on CNN, www.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
.......is like commenting on how delicious those wax fruit look; do you really think anything will sustain you in that bowl?
Look, we knew this would be platitudes ( empty ones) & evangelicalism, nothing more.
Did anyone think that it was going to be held in front of actual NOLA folks!?!
Even then, I can still see the vest observation as relevant.....though someone should have realized it made him lose his neck!

I admire the fortitude of anyone who can endure a full serving of that swill to the senses; I can't.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join