It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghosthunters - What is the creepiest place you have ever investigated?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I have been conducting ghost investigations for over 8 years. I have investigated haunted locations in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Kentucky, and Ontario Canada. I have researched famous places such as:

Ohio State Reformatory - Mansfield, OH
The Sallie House - Atchison, KS
Gettysburg
The Moonville Tunnel - Zaleski, OH
Bachelors Grove Cemetery - Midolothian, IL
Resurrection Cemetery - Justice, IL

Just to name a few. But the creepiest places I have been to are....

Fudge Road Bridge - Gratis, OH
Rural Hills Cemetery - Northville, MI
The Junction - Allegan, MI
Texas Road - Amherstburg, Ontario
Morrow Road - Algonac, MI
Train Wreck Site - Algonac, MI

Just to name a few.

There are a few I left off because they have been torn down....

Savage House - Van Buren Twp, MI
Ypsilanti State Mental Hospital - Milan, MI
Hathaway House - New Baltimore, MI
Johnson Products aka Hose Factory - Salem Twp, MI

What are yours?

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I like to camp in areas that were indian settlements.--Areas where high concentration of artifacts have been found....Some places along the Hudson River in NY, to the desert, canyonlands, to modern indian reservations.

I like being in the wilderness, in the dark, with no easy way out, no easy way in. Places where you most likely will not find another human as not to get distracted. I like to frighten the daylights out of myself, so I prefer to hike several miles in, particularly in the Hudson Valley and in the catskill area, NY, though Ive been all over the country. Its good to have an entire night or a couple...I like to bring a Ouija.

It is most interesting to read about the place you are visiting...get information on accidents, incidents, local lore ect, bizzare events before hand.

I hiked out in Yellowstone, I took along with me a book, "Deaths in Yellowstone National Park" that I found in the bookstore at the park....This was one of the strangest experiences I ever had, and you wouldnt expect this place to be "haunted"...But man, I dont remember waiting on daylight like I did that night.

Ive been doing this for 20 years, I started veryyyy young. But the scariest place, I have ever been is right in my own house, in my own bed, where safety is expected, but not guarenteed.

Oh... the abandoned slaughter house in the woods was a damn good one (harrison NY)....but its torn down

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
RAF Wethersfield, Essex England. Three distinct ghosts and a probable.

A medic who had been killed in a motorcycle accident was known to haunt the old hospital... Seen by several folks including myself, and my Dog, who would sit and turn his head, and prick his ears at the same spot where the ghost was seen, time after time.

The "Outlined baby" in the old hospital. Wherein the outline of a baby's thorax, head, arms and legs was on the floor. Cleaned it up a number of times and it continued to come back.. I was int he old hospital (totally deserted) one evening with some girl scouts, giving them a tour of the place. When we got to where the baby was outlined, I shone a light on the outline on the floor and the baby began to cry, rather loudly.

The baby that cried in the on base housing. Apparently, at some time in the past there had been a baby, or young child, scalded in it's bath. On occasion, folks in one particular house would hear the child scream. At one point we did a tape recording in the house when everyone was gone. There were voices. One said, I'm so sorry. The other was saying, That's OK.

The other thing was some type of old warrior who was often seen to be running amok in the nuclear dump area. That one, I did not see on my own.

We were not too terribly far from Coggeshall, which many consider to be the most haunted place in England. Twas a lot of fun ... I loved the old English history and ghosts. They made for a most pleasant place to live.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I personally haven't had the guts to go to any of these places, I'm a little too susceptible to things visiting me, and from the sounds of these places, they aren't where you'd want to bring friends home from. They were both used in excessive maltreatment of people with mental illness.

Here in PHiladelphia PA we have BYBERRY STATE HOSPITAL.(now closed and off limits but there is a tour group tha goes through there i think)
It was an asylum for every kind of mental illness before they had rewritten the policies on mental healh guidlines, and treatments for patients, Guests living there were treated to very inhuman acts of experimental treatments, light deprivation,starvation, ice baths, caging, brain surgery, while conscious, and electroshock therapy to name a few. The guests basically lived in squalor, as it was largely state funded, and most times they slept in their own filth, only to become crazier Alot of activity has been reported there. It is very dangerous to go s a lot of locals had taken the liberties of vandalizing the place badly.

There is also WAVERLY HILLS SANATORIUM, Waverly Hills, KY-you have to google it.

It was a state of the art facility meant to house those afflicted with the yellow plague that ran rampant in KY. They also employed various nasty techniques of treating their patients, alot of nurses commited suicide there, and it is said their ghosts still haunt there. there are numerous EVP recordings from there,there have been many accounts of smelling the nurses perfume, and also catching glimpses of her walking down the hallway, making her rounds. she does stop in the room where she died. and the scariest place to go there is what is called "The DeathTunnel"
It runs the length of I think 2 and a half football fields from underneath the hospital, and it was used to transport bodies to the crematory, so not to upset the other patients seeing someone deceased wheeled past them.

I hope you guys have fun on your quests and I hope this helps some.
Enjoy!

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
The absolute worst for creep factor was without a doubt Waverly Hills Sanitorium in Louisville, KY.

The entire night was nearly a bust with the notable exceptions of a couple of decent EVPs, and I think I spent more time freaking myself out than actually experiencing anything, but that place is just 500 types of scary if you know that I mean....I just really can't describe it.

I don't know that you can get into it anymore, at least not since they filmed the movie there, but if you ever get a chance, it's well worth going.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I visited some friends who were renting an antebellum plantation mansion in Crystal Springs, Mississippi.
I recall one evening I was getting ready to leave and we were all standing in the kitchen.
They mentioned that they had a ghost in the house and I was more than just skeptical, I remember I made some kind of humorous comment about ghosts and suddenly all the cabinets in the kitchen swung open, some slowly, some quickly, some swung open all the way and yet others only swung open only halfway.
We were all a little disturbed by the incident.

My friends were not pranksters or the type of people who could rig or engineer some kind of remote method of opening the cabinets simultaneously. To this day, though somewhat skeptical, I am still bewildered about the incident.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The scariest place I've ever been, is my Mother In Laws house for the night.

No, I really haven't been to any particular place that stands out. A couple of creepy experiences but not in any one place.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
State hwy 32-Newville Rd CA

almost blow up here

I'm am a Wiccan I had a magical amulet witch imbuded for 4 years staight which isnt much one night we had to travel this road even though we didnt want to due to the paranormal activey there is quite high and malicious but we were low on gas so we had to take it I was with my roommate at the time in the passenger seat right when we turned on to it we started to pass by the various old cemetarys there theres about 5 or 6 there all from the 1800's I felt uneasy but I was telling myself its just a road we're gonna get though it soon my amulet got warm which I thought was weird about 2 minutes later the radio fizzed out (made a fizzle sound) I turned to my roommate and said "what the hell" then the glove box near my legs started to get warm I told my roommate she immedelatly pulled over and poped the hood there was a big engine fire, by this time I was afraid and "snap" went my amulet the amulet itself fell off the part that goes around my neck then the tie fell off my neck
we took everything out of the car that we could and put it in the ditch we called 911 on the cell phone for fire help and whatnot but the one thing I could'nt find was my amulet even though I saw exactly where it dropped
the fire truck came *about 15 minutes* later we maganaged to put the fire out with baking soda and soda pop (It works REALLY!) but we had to get towed to town so in my opinion HWY 32 has been heavy hunted the few times that i traveled that road without incident I saw one ghost every single time a woman dressed in 1800's clothing and carrying a basket of apples

if you dont believe my story thats your choice as everyone has their own right to opinion as for me I know what happend and that amulet served its purpose well

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
First Off, I gotta say, I've never been into ghosts and paranormal stuff before...ever. Now, lately, as I have a whole bunch of college buddies, the stuff I do for fun has gotten crazier and crazier. IT all started when a friend was telling us about the abandoned sanitarium in Henryton, MD which became a tuberculosis facility.(I went to school like 5 mi away from it and we never knew it was there then). So, we checked the place out, and decided it was freakin awesome, and a lot of fun. So since then I've been doing "UE" (Urban Explorations) into all the abandoned yet relatively safe places we can find.

Scariest thing I've seen: The Tunnel through the hill at night, alone on Halloween. @ Hell House in Old Elicott City MD. It was one of those "college initiation things" that we stupid freshmen thought up at the time. no real reason for it, just fun. So I'm about halfway in, and I start hearing things, thinking its just my idiot friends trying to creep me out, I keep going. From here on it gets kind of weird, because I don't remember how exactly it all happened. But in the end, I know this: I stepped in something, NASTY. Must have been something that had died a while ago, then I heard a child scream like 10 ft away, and I heard a laughing sound. (Before you go aha! his friends WERE playing with him!) I have to say I ran out like a scaredy cat, and found that all my friends had been talking (and getting fined) by the police the entire time.

Now, I bet for you experienced people, that was nothing, I'm sorry, maybe it was just a laugh for you. (It still kind of... Kiiind of is for me.)

Other thing, this is when I've really started to look into paranormal stuff as a reality. A good friend of mine, and myself, checked out this Half-abandoned (the other side of the street was still open) Asylum called Rosewood in Owings Mills, MD (once again I work like 2 mi away and never knew it was there). Just like all the other trips the building is weird and cool of course. We get inside, looking around, decide to check out the ampitheater that's on the top floor. We get up there, its cool, its sweet, I Thought I could get a laptop, and a battery powered projector up there to watch movies (teehee, I'm still a big Geek). We turned around to leave and, I thought it was a trick of the light, but.. Its still really hard to explain, when we shined our lights (we had 2 LED lights, a maglight, and a big ass spotlight I have) at the roof, there was something blocking the light. Not like keeping the light from touching the roof, but like a blind spot.

So I'm starting to feel creeped, but the guy I'm with has been here like 100 times (literally, every day the past summer at night) and tells me to try the maglight. I do, same thing, its like a hovering blind spot, when I shine the light at the roof/wall above the door, I can see the wall, but it's like blurred, and moving. Trust me, we tried for like a total of one minute before we jetted out, but I did a few angles, all the lights, and even threw a rock (hehe, yea we're weird like that). But it reminded me of smoke, that wasn't. I was scared #less when I got out of there, and that was the last time I've tried UE for a while.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Creepiest place wasn't one that I investigated.
It was a building I worked in.

Camp Zama Japan. Chapel. It was FULL of spooks that hate.
They would watch you from the hall while you were in the office.
They would stand next to you and ooooze hate. You couldn't
see them, but you knew they were there.

Try setting up for a funeral with a dead body while those things
were around! YIKES!

And before ya'll say it was a mental health issue ... I wasn't the
only one who felt them around. All the enlisted people did and
one of the officer Chaplains did too. None of us would be alone
in the building. Here we were, America's Army folks ... and we
were afraid to be in the Chapel by ourselves.

Man ... when I say they HATED, I mean they really HATED!!

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
@ Lamagraa ... scary one that!!

Myself been to a rural area in Kwazulu Natal / South Africa ,where a pastor went to do an exorcism,we were quite a few for protection as it is Rural suburb.

I never went in the room at any stage as there was no need for my presence & had two friends with me,as we sat in lounge (first never take anything being offered by any family member of the oppressed like coffee),the brother in law offered and we declined respectfully, me and one companion felt an eerie feeling towards him straight away.

He excused himself from our presence and within seconds the first time i ever saw what people call "shadow people" ,but just one dark figure follwing him to the outside through kicthen door.. now that is prob not scary to alot of people here,but we were 3 who witnessed this,and there was no way as a Christian to follow a demon that is leaving the oppressed premises.. my rule let them go and and know with all faith that it will not come close to me

The most amazing part was that the brother in law of the oppressed was never heard of again,& oppressed was delivered directly after that.The sister whom was wife of this man had no interest in looking for him and we did not say one thing to the family after our experience of this sighting.My pastor did contact them and they him for weeks after that & said nothing has been heard from him although they reported him missing to police.

Then a story which i posted a while back in U.F.O. sightings as we took pics which i posted on ATS as well ,that was amazing sight as i have never seen anything like that (5 lights in a triangular form) ,but i suppose that after i answered every sceptics questions it just became "another post".Atleast someone was very interested on ATS and ask for all pics & hosted it somewhere on his server,but lost all info of reformatting my pc in the time.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I would say the haunted asylum in Pasadena, CA

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
my own house, i and my family have had many experiances in this house, none "bad" or "negative" so to speak.

i constantly have seen the outline of a large but friendly dog at the base of my bed, ive never had a dog, but my parents had a dog before i was born which fits the description, it died after being hit by two cars outside our house.

i have also seen beings, in my sleep, and while awake. one was in my loungeroom and it was an aboriginal fellow, at first it scared me because it was "DARK" but once i realised it was an aboriginal, he no-longer scared me, because it was his skin colour.

my mother has seen, two young children standing next to her bed dressed in tarton (Scottish kilt type material) and she reached out to them and nearly fell out of bed because there was no-one there.

my dad has woken up during the night to our hall cupboards openeing and shutting, all four doors were opening and then shutting again, he checked the lateches and only one was broken, we took this as a warning to fix it.

my sister has seen a early to mid 20's looking man with long hair and bright blue eyes standing in her bedroom doorway, watching over her.

i now although am old enough for it not to scare me, sleep with my door closed because it freaks me out.

also one night at a friends house i couldnt sleep so i went out into his lounge room and turned the tv on, i was sitting on his lounge and i could hear what sounded like spiders marching in procession down his hallway, and it scared the crap outta me, he later told me that a young child had died in the house and that the young child had a pull along toy that made similar sounds when it was moving.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I used to think that ghost did not exist... that they were just made up in someones mind. But I had a ghostly encounter of my own and now Im a believer.

This took place about 3-4 weeks ago. I was on my way to the states for my best friends wedding and had a 12 hour hour lay-over in Paris. After already having a layover somewhere else and being in the air for about 7 hours I decided to call it a night and get some ZZZ's. I call a friend who works there, he's working the night shift and says I can crash at his job (he's kind of like a security guard)......so I take a taxi and finally get there, shower up and we're just shooting the #e talking about crap.

Anyways, he starts to tell me about this haunted dungeon in another building used by the same company. He goes on and on telling that during the 1940's the Nazi's used the building for whatever....shelter, headquarters, Im not sure exactly what but he said the basement dungeon was used as a sick bay or a hospital. So we walk in and I'm like noway...it's all BS, he starts to point out bullet holes that previous security guards and watchman have made over the years due to ghost sightings and all that wierd stuff. He said many of the guards would fire at what they said was a a Nazi looking soldier pointing a weapon at them...the holes were in various places, a few in the cells behind iron bars, a few down the hall along the wall. There was one set of holes, three holes a few inches apart. The holes looked as if the shooter shot up from his back on the ground...the holes were angled upward and went through a thin metal slide in a cell door (like a slide used to pass a food try thru) and hit higher up on the wall behind the door.

So Im thinking all this is superstitous garbage and that the holes were made by soldiers back in WWII...maybe the building was raided or something, I dunno. Anyways I walk in the cell with the shot-holes and look around, as I walk out I glance toward the end of the hallway and see a freaking Soldier holding a rifle pointed to the deck....he's just staring at me. I freeze, scared out my mind looking straight into the dude's eyes, we are actually making eye-contact, I'm just like WTF. Something on the soldier's uniform catches my attention.....nothing big, but I shift my eyes to look at his belt, then I shift my eyes back and he's gone. I look a little longer, not exactly sure how long the soldeir was there for....Im not even sure how long I was starring at him, but in that split second that I shifted my eyes, keep in mind my eyes are still on him, he vanished.

I look at my friend and he's like "what"....I tell him what I saw and does not believe me....he has not seen anything in the dungeon yet so he is probably doubtful of all this like anyone would be. According to him it was only like a second that I glanced down the hallway...just a casual head turn he saw, but to me it seemed more like 4 or 5 seconds.

We went back to the office and he shows me a few incident reports of past encounters that people have had in the dungeon/basement. Im going thru reading and many of them are very similar to mine. He starts to believe me after reading the reports. Anyways, he tells me that the "haunted" building is not manned at night anymore...they have people there in the daytime during business hours only. He hooked me up with the tour. BTW, I could not sleep that night.

Now that's some weird trash......

sporty

[edit on 20/9/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Oh man...................
The most HORRIBLE place I ever investigated was the Federel Building in Oklahoma City AFTER it was blown to heck by Timmothy McVey (I was there 9 days after the fact).......I was shaking and I vomited, I almost passed out it was such bad joo joo......I will say NO MORE on the issue.

I have had 'FUN' in graveyards, prisons, closed down looney bins and haunted houses when compared.

[edit on 20-9-2005 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   

When I was in middle school, a friend and I spent several hours in the middle of the night on halloween in this graveyard. Never saw any paranormal activity but it was very creepy.

There are several ghost stories associated with the church (Aquia Episcopal) and the graveyard.

Here is a link to some of the stories I've heard about the place.
www.trimarpress.com...

Excerpt from link:

Legend says that the church and the church graveyard which has graves dating back to 1738 are both home to paranormal activity that has taken place for over 200 years. The church was completed in 1751 and paranormal activity and strange happenings began almost immediately.

During the Civil War the church was used by both the Confederate and Union Armies as the tide of war would change. At one point the Union Army used the inside of the church as a stable for their horses. The square high sided pews were perfect for a stable.

In the late 1700's a golden-haired skeleton was found in the church belfry mystifying the parishioners. In later years a wide variety of apparitions, orbs, and frightening visits have taken place. Most of the paranormal activity in and around the church is not pleasant in nature which makes Aquia Church one of those unfriendly haunted locations that you don't want to visit alone after dark. One young person is said to have suffered a fatal heart attack in the 1800's while investigating the hauntings at the church. He literally died from fright.

There is one story of a more pleasant nature involving the church. During the Civil War two confederate soldiers were hiding in the church from the Federal army when they heard a "whistling" that alerted them to the Federal soldiers approaching the church from the road. This "warning" gave the confederate soldiers just enough time to escape through the back of the church.

In more recent times a paranormal investigator had a frightening experience in the church Cemetery. As soon as she entered the cemetery she felt as though eyes were looking at her from all directions. She could have sworn she heard voices telling her to leave before she was hurt. After only about ten minutes in the cemetery she felt as though she had to leave the cemetery immediately. As she was leaving the cemetery she felt a burning on her right shoulder and hurried to her car to wait for her fiancé who was at the other side of the cemetery.

[edit on 20/9/05 by Skibum]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
The most HORRIBLE place I ever investigated was the Federel Building in Oklahoma City AFTER it was blown to heck

Rescue workers and responders were interviewed shortly after the
incident happened. They had all been up in the building to check it
out for survivors and for structural reasons. When asked if the
building should be repaired or brought down, ALL of them said
that it HAD to come down and that it was the spookiest place they
had ever been to.

I can't even imagine what they saw.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I am not a ghost hunter and my experiences don't really compare to some of these.

Probably the spookiest place was the house we built in 1985. It was old farmland, and not anything in particular about where we built(in a new subdivision)

That house was wrong. Everyone who has ever lived there has had their family fall apart. I don't know if it was the house, or the energy my family put into it. I do know even before my Dad died, I would hear footsteps upstairs and have some funky dreams. It was not a scary place, it was just negative. My Dad died while we still owned the house and Mom sold it a year after he died.

After he died, my lamp, which was a brass touch lamp used to come on all the time. Now, that may just be from a power fluctuation or something. Who knows. I just know it would be on the lowest setting usually in the middle of the night often. One night someone knocked at my bedroom door and I yelled for Mom wondering why she was up. She was asleep. I had those oppressive dreams of someone sucking the air out of you and being unable to move. Just minor stuff.

The family that bought the house from us, had 5 kids(it was a large house) and I believe they divorced and sold it. I think the next set of people that bought it also either divorced or one or the husband died. I saw it for sale again as it was in our price range when we were looking to move.

Even my down to earth mother will say that the house was a place of misery for people. That no one was ever happy there. I wonder if my Dad's unhappiness just permeated it.

I do think that My Dad still visits me and have had alot of experiences in this house. I have hear a man talking in my kids room, I hear footsteps at night upstairs even when my kids are sound asleep(they are too young to pretend to sleep) I have seen a man on my stairwell landing a couple of times. I just get totally creeped out in the middle of the night sometimes.

heck, I wouldn't go hunting for anything. That would just invite trouble to me. Enough comes without invitation!!

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
here's a neat story, just don't really have the time to post it properly....

Guardsmen Sense Ghostly Presence In New Orleans

cbs5.com...
also, didn't have time to check and see if anyone else ran across it.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
That story indeed is very interesting

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join